finger picking

plunker

Reaction score
Right now I do what I call mostly thumb picking. My thumg goes all over the strings to pick the notes, I want to use all my fingers for picking. I am trying to do scales with the thumb and each of the fingers on an assigned string. Is that the way to go about it. I t might be one way, is there a better way?

You could try scales playing each note 4 times (sixteenth notes) using index, middle, index, middle for starters. Then move to index, middle for each note. Once you have that down it will be easier to play scales the way you are attempting now.

My go to most played song is Please don't talk about me when I'm gone. I find this is a very good song to noodle over as you can strum it and get that old timey feeling or arpeggiate the chords by finger picking in the manner you wish to use. Playing the song this way give is more a Leon Redbone feeling if you slow it down a bit.

Funny thing I cant do the same with my thumb to save a nickle. Ultimately the right way to do anything on an instrument is how it works for you.

~peace~

The general rule is P - I - M - A:

Pulgar = Thumb
Indice = Index Finger
Medio = Middle Finger
Anular = Ring Finger

The pinkie finger can happen, but it's generally left out.

Of course, your fingers can change strings depending upon the notes being called into action. Just remember to keep the focus shifted toward the thumb, rather than trying to brace on the uke with the pinkie finger. And eventually your fingers will callous and/or you grow fingernails until the notes sound right to you.

I am trying to do scales with the thumb and each of the fingers on an assigned string.

I can't say its wrong.. but I don't think thats the way I'd do it.
Using all your fingers.. is not about distributing the work evenly.

I hesitate to say what it is about.. as I can think of an exception for everything that pops into my head.
You may finger pick with just thumb and index. Kimo H does alot of that. Or you can use the same pincer thing.. to get like.. a triplet. You might use thumb for a walking bass while using the index/middle to keep hitting the same treble note, like a flamenco thing. Or you might need to pluck some or all of the strings at the same time to get that sound instead of a strum.. like.. "more than words" by Extreme.

Really.. as best as i can say.. you use more fingers.. to do more, not just to distribute the work evenly.

Maybe as a carry over from my limited banjo experience, I tend to use three fingers. I use my thumb on G and C, index on E, and middle on A. Pinky acts as a brace.

A number of instructors advice using thumb for strings #4 & 3, index finger for string #2 and ring finger for string #1. Aaron Kliem and Micheal Lynch ( Ukulele Mike) advocate this method.

There seems to be (at least) 2 ways that are 'recognised',
thumb plays G & C, index on E, middle on A,
&,
thumb plays G, index on C, middle on E, ring on A.

Personally, being a newbie, I'm using my thumb to pick the strings, not efficient, but it does the job, sort of. :)

I'm a thumb and two fingers picker generally, but think in answer to your question, yes, practicing scales is a good way to implant this in your brain.

Maybe as a carry over from my limited banjo experience, I tend to use three fingers. I use my thumb on G and C, index on E, and middle on A. Pinky acts as a brace.

That's what I do ... pinky and often ring finger act as brace. Only time I tend to use my ring finger is on an instrument with more strings, e.g., guitar

I tend to use all fingers but the pinkie which braces my hand. It's too short to be of much use for picking. My ring finger is the weakest, but it's getting stronger. I do exercises before I play

I'm a two finger picker. Thumb on 3 & 4, 1st finger on 1 & 2 (mostly) ring & llittle finger as a brace. I mainly pick arppegios for song accompaniment. I'm not much of a melody player. I play other instruments for melody work.

Last edited:
I started playing in Oct. 2014 with the bad habit of anchoring my little finger.
Try this: Hold your hand out and put your little finger on something solid and parallel to the floor(like a table). Now try squeezing your other three fingers towards the heel of your palm. You should feel some tendon resistance with your other fingers that are moving.
Now take your little finger away and squeeze all four fingers together. No tendon resistance.
Over time, this tendon resistance became problematic when playing for long periods.
Also, I wasn't getting the most efficient use of energy and movement out my hand when I played with an anchored finger.

Here is how I play now-
I pretend to be lightly holding a suitcase handle at my side with my right hand. I bring that hand shape up to the strings and play:
Thumb- g string/sometimes c
Index-c string/sometime g
middle-e
ring-a
My little finger rests comfortably next to my ring finger making it easier to pick the individual strings accordingly.

I know there are players who do not plant their pinky fingers. Which is fine by me. But....you get much better "balance" with it planted.

I tend to use a different number of fingers depending upon the song. But it's a lot of thumb on G and C. Index on E and middle finger on the A string. Sometimes I can get by with just my thumb. Your thumb gives the best tone. Try it and see.

My teacher hasn't steered me wrong yet. Although he is insistent that I tremolo with my thumb. And I don't wanna. But it does sound better. And I WILL learn how or die trying. Which I may.

I use my thumb on the G, C, and my index covers the E and A. If I'm mixing in some strumming, the ring finger carries that duty.

I think it's really a matter of comfort more than proper technique.

I have read that it isn't considered good technique to plant your pinky, so I have tried to work on NOT doing this. BUT...after 30 years of practicing dentistry, I find I can't break my habit of using a finger plant. We were taught (and I have personally found) that we would be working from a position of much greater stability and control with our pinky planted. I admire those that don't need it and I'm sure it gives you better freedom of movement, but doesn't work for me...old dogs, you know.

Classically speaking, shifting alignment toward the thumb provides a more evenly balanced approach to picking the strings, whereas anchoring the pinky actually rotates your wrist counter to even picking distribution. It also hinders mobility, as johnson430 points out. Remember, it's okay to rest your thumb on the g string for balance and orientation.

Of course, many players haven't been trained with this technique so you see all sorts of styles going on. My theory has always been to learn the rules, then master technique enough to break them. But just like life, there is no right or wrong way. Just do what works best for you with what you've got.

I'm a PIMA believer as I feel this way:

If you can learn to play with all 4, it is no problem to play with 3 or 2 or 1 finger. If you learn it with less fingers, you cannot go to more fingers.

I'm a PIMA believer as I feel this way:

If you can learn to play with all 4, it is no problem to play with 3 or 2 or 1 finger. If you learn it with less fingers, you cannot go to more fingers.

Lenny,
Nice point.

Actually, using Pekelo book 1 has given me the confidence to return to Uke Aerobics. Surprisingly, the exercises in Uke Aerobics are so much easier to play now with a solid understanding of the PIMA method and a non-anchored little finger.

Top Bottom