NUD - Collings Concert

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
A very dear friend of mine wanted a uke that I had and some other stuff and traded me a Collings UC-2 Concert all Mahogany body for them.

I have only played it for a short time but I am very impressed with this little instrument. It has a very sweet sound, a very long sustain and complex overtones. I guess I don't have to mention that it is beautifully made.

I consider myself blessed by the generosity of my friend.

I'll try and post a pic soon.

PS. Boy, the Collings case is a tight fit! I'm glad the Uke doesn't have a pick up or a strap button.

UC2-1.jpgUC2-2.jpgUC2-3.JPGUC2-4.JPGUC2-5.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Collings family. Love, love, love both of mine (previously also had a UC-2 which I equally adored but that was when I had to rotate ukes due to a 2 uke limit). For me, the Collings neck profile is just perfect.

Congrats, Hollis! I've always wanted to try out a Collings-- they look beautiful from what I've seen in videos. Can't wait to see a picture. :)

You do have a good friend. I really like my Collings concert uke. The neck shape feels great and it has a wonderful tone. There is just something cool about a mahogany uke. The Collings build quality is an added bonus. I have had mine a couple of years and it has really opened up.

You're right though, the case leaves no room to spare. I was thinking about strap buttons but gave up on that for fear it would'nt fit in the case with a tail button on it.

Congratulations on getting a fabulous instrument. I have a Collings tenor and love it. I do have a strap button on the bottom and it is a very tight fit into the case. But I keep it in another case and just use the Collings hard case for airplane travel because it is as small as a concert hardcase and fits easliy in the overhead. Everyone one of my ukes have two strap buttons or I can't play them so I just make it work.

This will make a great addition to your other wonderful ukuleles. "Sam13" has been after me on and off to sell mine to him.......nope, nope, nope.

Well done Hollis, you will really enjoy it

Thanks for all the good wishes. This Uke is really for my wife (the Uke I traded was my recent Xmas gift to her). Now she will have an even more wonderful instrument to learn on and of course I will have another beauty to play with also.

Pix or it doesn't exist...(couple of phone pix...come on, man...)

Ok, tonight when I get home from work. As I have been a photographer since I was 15, I find it difficult to take mobile phone happy snaps seriously. I always want to drag out my studio lighting kit, take over the garage and do a proper job. Ukes, guitars and violins are some of my favourate subject matter.

Welcome to the Collings family. Love, love, love both of mine (previously also had a UC-2 which I equally adored but that was when I had to rotate ukes due to a 2 uke limit). For me, the Collings neck profile is just perfect.

Wow, you have one of the doghair tenors. Such a unique looking instrument! Their sunburst model is gorgeous too.

Last edited:
Wow, you have one of the doghair tenors. Such a unique looking instrument! Their sunburst model is gorgeous too.

Haha. I added the bold. Very nonjudgmental. ;-) I saw one in pics my very first weekend of discovering ukes and I thought it was a cool mix of metro yet modern. Most have a rosewood bridge/fretboard which to my eye totally interrupts the black/white color theme. When HMS got one in and I was really impressed by the sound sample, I "had" to buy it when I realized it was ebony-appointed. And I agree that Collings does sunburst as well as anyone and better than 95% of others. They really, really nail them.

Post a sound sample and review after you've bonded a bit. While some of the Collings fervor on UU seems to have waned, I think they make a consistently excellent product. So I'm always curious as to others' thoughts. Maybe I'm just a Collings Fanboy. ;-)

(previously also had a UC-2 which I equally adored but that was when I had to rotate ukes due to a 2 uke limit).

I can confirm that Ukulele Eddie's old UC-2 is adorable and still being adored 15-16 months later:)

Pretty much anything that leaves the Collings shop is aces...terrific tone and consistency.

Here's a question to you Collings owners, Have you kept the original Savarez 140R strings or have you found different sets that you like better?

Congratulations Hollis! Sounds like you made a good trade. I've never played, heck, never seen a Collings uke, but I sure would like to. I keep hearing how darn tasty they are.
I'm starting to get all weird and anxious waiting for my new Cocobolo. I think they are giving her extra attention.

Here's a question to you Collings owners, Have you kept the original Savarez 140R strings or have you found different sets that you like better?

On my concert, I changed to Southcoast mediums. I still have the Savarez for the C-E-A on the tenor, but am now using an Aquila Red Low G.

Last edited:
On my concert, I changed to Southcoast mediums. I still have the Savarez for the C-E-A on the tenor, but am now using an Aquila Red Low G.

Your concert is strung high G, yes? I was thinking Southcoast LMU Light Medium Gauge Ukulele Set as I have loved every set I have bought from them so far.

Last edited:

Because Andrew at HMS has had so much experience with them I asked him about strings for my tenor, he said Worth CT were his favorites. I think the Worth CM for your concert as CdnSouthpaw suggested would be a good start. I've had 4 different sets on mine and I like the Worths the best.

Top Bottom