Yousician - learning app/game

pablo285

Reaction score
Hi guys,
just wanted to share my experience with Yousician - a learning app that lets you play along songs, it shows you what to play and actually listens to what you play on the uke.
It has two paths - strumming and fingerpicking. So far I've only tried the strumming course and I think it's great. For me it's a great tool that makes me look away from the uke (because I have to watch the screen ;) ) while I play which is great. I got my uke for Christmas and yesterday I caught myself changing between chords without really thinking about it or having to look at my fingers. I'm definitely impressed by myself. :D
I definitely recommend this for beginners like me - the first lessons are easy enough that anybody can do it but it gets more difficult along the way.
If anybody else has tried it for uke, share your thoughts, I'm curious. :)

If you're going to try it, share your experience as well. ;)

I am a new ukulele player who subscribed about 3 weeks ago. I am going to cancel my subscription. Glad I opted for a month instead of the full year subscription. I find it to be too light on actual instruction. The practice tasks are setup as game like challenges which is probably great for some people. I just found them to be annoying very quickly. It didn't help that the songs were mostly unfamiliar to me. It made it very hard for me to understand how I should be sound.

I have been learning through another online video based site that provides written worksheets with each lesson. Also, the subscription is indefinite. I'm going to stick with it. I plan to purchase live lessons from a local teacher as well.

I have been learning through another online video based site that provides written worksheets with each lesson. Also, the subscription is indefinite. I'm going to stick with it. I plan to purchase live lessons from a local teacher as well.
Would you share the name of the online site that you've been using? As another newcomer to the ukulele, I've been a bit overwhelmed by all the choices out there. On first glance, a lot of programs seem great , but once you get past a C-F-G7 pattern, they kind of fizzle out.

Sure. It is Ukulele Tricks (www.ukuleletricks.com). I am up to the 13th-14th lesson in the strumming track after about 3 months. I'm really happy with how far along I've come. No doubt there is lots of room for improvement still, but I can actually play songs which is so satisfying. I usually work on more than one lesson at a time.

The price is right also. Unlimited use for close to what two months of Yousician costs.

I have also subscribed to Ukulele Tricks-Strumming and found it was well done. I have watched all the videos, and go back and try to keep sticking with a lesson until I nail it...or get bored. I then move up to the next week and try that for a bit, then go back down.

While it builds on itself, you can still get benefit from trying some of the next lessons techniques.

I downloaded Yousician and played it one night. Since there is a free option, it is always good to have in your bag o tricks. Since I had purchased the Strumming version of Ukulele Tricks, I selected the picking route in Yousician.

I was disappointed in how quickly the learning curve exploded. You have to watch a video where a guy is using a single finger on the first string, and thumb to pick...then the first practice starts out the same...and within minutes you are expected to be able to pick all 4 strings, and fret the first 3 or 4 frets on each of the strings. I decided to step back and try it again sometime when I was not tired...and have just not bothered to launch the app again.

Glad to hear that it is working well for you.

Hi, newbie here.
I learn to play ukulele for 2 months. I started with usician. In December they introduced ukulele into their app. I've grown up to 4th level very fast in both chords and notes playing courses (5th is the top level). But I did not have any idea what I was doing.
So I bought few books, came to read this forum and watched YouTube. Now I understand how to play.
I still use usician to practice chord changes and fingerpicking. I can't push myself as hard as this app pushes me.
Its great app to practice and speed up your fretting but don't expect to much.

Unlimited use for close to what two months of Yousician costs.
I agree it's overpriced. "Fortunately" I don't have more than 30 minutes a day to practice so the free option is enough for me.

Hi, newbie here.
I learn to play ukulele for 2 months. I started with usician. In December they introduced ukulele into their app. I've grown up to 4th level very fast in both chords and notes playing courses (5th is the top level). But I did not have any idea what I was doing.
So I bought few books, came to read this forum and watched YouTube. Now I understand how to play.
I still use usician to practice chord changes and fingerpicking. I can't push myself as hard as this app pushes me.
Its great app to practice and speed up your fretting but don't expect to much.
I did it the other way around - I read books and watched videos so I could understand what to do first. Only then I stumbled upon Yousician by chance.
It really does what you say - it pushes me harder than I would. I also like the gaming aspect - I used to play games a lot when I was younger. So I try to perfect every excercise first before going to the next one. ;)

The greatest thing about this app for me is the instant feedback - forcing me to hit the right chords and stay in tempo. I feel that's what made me progress much faster than I would by myself (that and my DYI uke strap/leash :D).

Yup, just download it and sing up and it offers you 30-60 minutes per day with an occasional "commercial break".

you need to buy it only in case if you want to play longer than 30 minutes. Actually you can practice a melody as long as you want in practice mode.

You can practice as long as you want but it doesn't give you feedback when you're out of your free time. (Feedback being the best thing about this app imho).

I've just ordered premium about a week ago. And I think its great tool. Each leson consists of three parts: worm up, learning and explore. Worm up is obvious. You just play some simple songs, sometimes just with one chord. Learning part is the most challenging. You can reduce tempo of each song, and then play full speed once you feel comfortable. Explore part is playing songs you played before but still need improving. I think its great.

I find it great for a drill but it is not great for learning songs that you actually want to play.

just my opinion.:D

I tried Yousician for a while, but it did not work for me at all.
Their cues are mainly visual, so that I was concentrating on *watching* - whereas with music, I find it more useful to concentrate on *listening*.

Top Bottom