A Little Uke p*** ...

You have a lovely looking pair............of ukuleles that is :eek:

Good looking ukes.

OTOH
I clicked on your blog and noticed your protest song. I'm a noob Uker and have been trying to come up with a song about Viet Nam. I'm headed to DC in April and to a reunion for my old Army buddies. We were in the first big wave of troops, we landed in Quin Nhon Sept '65.
I am trying go compose a song about our experiences and C-F-G7-Am just doesn't cut it for what I'm calling "The Ring Knockers Blues". Since you seem to have a lot of experience in Ukes, any suggestions for a blues song of, say six verses?

I too am a writer of prose. "Fiction writers are just Liers who can type." :D

Nice! When to we get the side-by-side review and sound samples??!!

Nice imagery! Do you keep them both strung linear, same tuning?

A Moore Bettah usually sounds best in C, and I prefer keeping my Beau Hannam in B tuning.

Good looking ukes.

OTOH
I clicked on your blog and noticed your protest song. I'm a noob Uker and have been trying to come up with a song about Viet Nam. I'm headed to DC in April and to a reunion for my old Army buddies. We were in the first big wave of troops, we landed in Quin Nhon Sept '65.
I am trying go compose a song about our experiences and C-F-G7-Am just doesn't cut it for what I'm calling "The Ring Knockers Blues". Since you seem to have a lot of experience in Ukes, any suggestions for a blues song of, say six verses?

I too am a writer of prose. "Fiction writers are just Liers who can type." :D

Depends on what kind of mood you want, and what you need to say. Want sad? Funny? What is the story? Whose story is it? Got to natrow it down to get to the real nitty gritty. Overall view can be good, but a specific event might work better. Think about the most memorable experiece you had there. Write that one.

As for keys, I like blues in A on my ukes, but they are all strung low-G. Minor key blues can get hauntingly interesting, D-minor is how I play St. James Infirmary, and it's not a happy song to start with ...

All you need is three chords and the truth, though a turnaround doesn't hurt.

You have a lovely looking pair............of ukuleles that is :eek:

Damn Dave, you beat me to it. All seriousness aside Steve, those are just gorgeous. Particularly love the gecko on the headstock of the MB.

Nice imagery! Do you keep them both strung linear, same tuning?

A Moore Bettah usually sounds best in C, and I prefer keeping my Beau Hannam in B tuning.

Yeah, Hodge, low-G, wound G and C on both, GCEA. They have different tones, to my ears, and different string brands. Beau's is wearing Southcoast Mediums, Chuck's a Frankenset from two or three different makers. Both are cannons, but the koa seems a bit warmer, and the redwood a little brighter. Both as smooth as butter, and both far more than I have earned, or deserve as a player. I am unworthy and I have to get better, but I'm not giving them back.

LOL Steve! Congratulations! I guess I will always wonder what I did wrong to keep me from having the kind of dough it takes to do that. YOU DO deserve them! Never think you don't. I've lost stuff I really liked (stolen or broken) because I doubted that I deserved it.
Thanks for showing us the pics, and yes, it would be mighty interesting to "hear" them, once you break em in a little....
Anyway, enjoy them both in good health!

Nice! Congrats! I just took possession of a new Hannam. I'll start a separate post about that one. Enjoy,

Top Bottom