Hard Shell case for Koaloha- keep the humidity in. Recommendations please :-)

Ruke

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a Koaloha KTM-00. Currently I am in New York and it's cold and humidity is bad. I have THREE humidifiers in my case- Herco (by the headstock), Oasis (in the sound hole), and a humistat (mid headstock) and humidity is anywhere from 20-35% in my case on my hygrometer. I'm using a UKECRAZY HARD SHELL case http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukecrazy-case.html. So, I'm assuming I need a new less porous hard case- or taking my ukulele out less (not willing to do!)

So, what hard shell case would you personally recommend for humidity?

Is it worth it for an Ameritage?
http://www.elderly.com/ameritage-silver-series-ukulele-case-94954.htm

How about Cross rock? The CRA400 look pretty nice
http://www.kingstarintl.com/index.php?ac=article&at=list&tid=134

Other solutions? Please provide a link.

Thank you so much for your help!
-Ruke

I don't think you need to spring for Ameritage. Those canvas covered cases are definitely "leakier" than something with a more waterproof exterior; I have one for my Kala KA-S. For my all-solid ukes, I have a Uke Crazy tweed, a Kamaka and a Rockcase. The latter two do a good job, and the Kala less so, perhaps because of the cloth covering vs the leather-like vinyl type stuff. Not sure. But I am sure humidity in New York is similar to what I'm experiencing in Ohio. I use two Oasis humidifiers, one in the headstock and one in the body, and I'm in the safe range according to my hygrometers.

An Oahu case is a good choice. http://www.theukulelesite.com/accessories/cases/oahu-hardshell/oahu-hardshell-ukulele-case.html I don't own a KoAloha, though; perhaps others who do have a good idea of what will fit best. The Crossrock with a zipper is intriguing, but they don't have a place for thing like tuners, etc. I keep my hygrometer in the compartment under the neck.

I would check my hygrometer AND get a second one. You can test by taking into the bathroom after a shower and it should go to 80+%.

Before buying another case, I'd also try putting the uke, case and all, in a plastic bag and see if the hygrometer responds after a week or so. It takes a while for the case materials to get to equilibrium (i.e., stop absorbing) moisture.

The past two or three winters, before I moved to the west coast, I lived in the northeast, had similar cases, and had no problem maintaining 50% humidity.

I would check my hygrometer AND get a second one. You can test by taking into the bathroom after a shower and it should go to 80+%.

Before buying another case, I'd also try putting the uke, case and all, in a plastic bag and see if the hygrometer responds after a week or so. It takes a while for the case materials to get to equilibrium (i.e., stop absorbing) moisture.

The past two or three winters, before I moved to the west coast, I lived in the northeast, had similar cases, and had no problem maintaining 50% humidity.

Hi Kayak Jim- Thank you for the recommendations. I just checked the hygrometer and it gets 80+% in the bathroom when taking a shower, so that seems to be working okay, but might be worth getting another (maybe not as good at lower humidity).

I'll also try with the plastic bag to see if that might help.

I have a case very similar to your ukecrazy case. I have had this particular ukulele in it for around 7 years. I am far less scientific about it than many other people. I occasionally put a dampit in the sound hole if I hear some fret buzzing and it is dry and cold here in Minnesota in the winter also. I also take it out and play it at least an hour/day.

dampit.jpg

Last edited:
I've been very happy with the Kamaka case. It's not cheap to ship from Hawaii but so far is holding humidity well in central Ohio.photo.jpg

I am outside of Parkersburg, WV so about two hours from Columbus. My house is an old fishing cabin, so cold air is an issue inside the house.

My Koaloha Opio soprano fits perfectly in the Oahu case. I have an Oasis humidifier in it where the upper bout joins the neck, and a paper towel between the neck brace and the neck of the ukulele. I also use a hair dryer to the inside of case for about 10 minutes every now and then so the "carpet" is not damp unbeknownst to me.

No issues in the two winters I have had the ukulele.

The Ameritage is worth the money,the gold series has a built in 2 way humidification system.

Before buying a new case, I would just add another humidifier (or two) to the case. That might do the trick.

Top Bottom