Strap width 2" or 1" ?

Fleapluckin_Flapper

Reaction score
Wanting to ask you kids if you prefer a 1" wide strap for your ukuleles/mandolins or a 2" width. I appreciate your participation!

I like a 2" strap.

My straps are 1.5 inches. To me, one inch straps feel too thin and and two inch straps feel too wide, but 1.5 inch straps seem juuuust right.

I like the 1 1/2" Uke Crazy strap from Kala the best!

The wider it is, the more spread out the weight is across your back/shoulders. Not such a big deal on 'ukulele, but with electric guitar you've got a lot of weight that will mess up your back really fast if it's riding on a skinny line. Get the 2".

The question was about ukes and mandolins. 1" to 1 1/2" for me.

Wanting to ask you kids if you prefer a 1" wide strap for your ukuleles/mandolins or a 2" width. I appreciate your participation!

On my ukuleles (and 3/4 size acoustic guitar) I use a length of 3/8" (8mm) diameter decorative cord, as used for curtain tie-backs, bought from a local haberdashery. I make up a spliced or whipped loop on the "button end" and a simple small buckle, as one might find on a shoe or handbag strap at the machine-head end, for adjustment.

My mandolin wears a commercially-made 1/2" webbing strap.

Personally I find these apparently thin dimensions perfectly comfortable on these light-weight instruments ... and, to my mind, they "look" in scale ;)

My larger/heavier/electric instruments all have proportionally wider straps :)

What seems to be lost here is that the OP makes and sells straps so was probably asking which of those two sizes is more popular.

I won't be of much help because 1-1/2" is my size of choice

I tried a 1" nylon lanyard type of strap, but it seems to cut into my neck & doesn't feel at all comfortable, therefore I don't use it, (plus it was too short to support my tenor where I like it).

(I think that I would perhaps agree that a 1.5" strap would be best width for a ukulele.)

I think you mean 50mm

I used to make straps for myself, about 5mm or 2". Its a good size, but it takes time to make. Now I use bootlaces or decorative cord because it is much easier and does not cost a lot. You can leave it on the uke when you put it in the case because there are no hard bits to scratch the finish. I don't care how it looks. The uses are not heavy and don't bite into my neck or shoulders. The exception is my steel resonator and Telecaster copy electric, both are heavy and need a 5cm strap.

I have a 2" strap, and that is because one of my classical guitar picking friends felt sorry for me and gave it to me. Having used it occasionally over the last year or so, if I were going to buy one, I would probably buy a 1" or even a 1.5" one instead. 2" seems a little overkill to me.

I started out with a uke leash which is 1/2" wide and I bought a strap button adapter and used that for a while and had no problems with ukuleles as they are not heavy. I have since bought some 1" straps and find them the right balance. Wide enough given the weight even for my solid body Risa - though even that's not all that heavy. The only one wider is for my banjo uke where I use a 1.5" banjo strap as it is a closed back resonator instrument and is quite heavy. I do have a 2" guitar strap on my U-bass but I feel that's overkilll and 1" would probably be fine but I've got it so I might as well use it. For everything else 1" is fine and doesn't look out of place.

Yep I make the straps and sell them,and I want to thank you all for your 2¢. I've also polled two other sites and here's the cool thing- the preferences are very evenly divided (I've kept a count for each width) which shows me it's worthwhile to go ahead and start creating 1" wide straps. Mission accomplished!

Top Bottom