What are the most interesting news from NAMM 2016?

Rakelele

Reaction score
With news from NAMM 2016 starting to come in, I thought we could collect and discuss the things you find most exciting. Here are some of the new models that arouse my interest:

- Kamaka Centennial models
- Ohana Sopranissimo
- Ohana 8 String Concert
- Ibanez Tenor sized Piccolo Guitar
- Cordoba Mini O with a Cutaway

What are the new things that you find interesting, and why? Also, where do you get your infos from? I've been mostly looking at the Youtube channels of Ukulele Underground and Mim, as well as the Facebook page of Uke Republic. Haven't found any coverage from HMS yet.

I really got a kick out of the bugs gear Bluetooth ukulele featured on the UU channel. It has a speaker inside that when paired with a device will play backing tracks. SHAZAM. ....you are now a one man band. Very innovative especially for young people that would be captivated by the idea of using technology with a uke

Last edited:
I also am intrigued by the Ohana sopranisimo and the Ibanez piccolo guitar. I'm hoping to catch sight of the new Art and Lutherie Cuban tres. (I'm almost afraid to look at any more uke videos lest my UAS go wild...)

Blackbird ekoa tenor! And those Riversong ukes look intriguing.

I noticed that a lot more companies seem to be doing a scoop cutaway. I've seen that from Islander and Kanilea before (as well as one by Chuck Moore), but now others like Kala, Rebel, and Amahi are picking up the idea.

Last edited:
Between the coverage from Andrew, Aldrine and Mim, you'll have a better experience than being there yourself. But below are some random thoughts from what I saw. I'll post some pics this afternoon.

- Kamaka Centennial markings are generally a hit. Smart design because it works on all finishes and even slotted headstocks
- Personally, I do not care for the KoAloha shell logo and new finish. It just seems so not KoAloha. I can't help but think a maple inlay or something would have been a better fit
- Kanile'a seems to have a corner on the best koa. I like the design direction they're going. Slim headstocks, sleek looks.
- Collings had no ukes on display
- Men over 45 should not dye their hair; people with flabby arms should not wear sleeveless shirts; and nobody with a muffin top should try to wear skinny jeans. If you're trying to look like you don't care, you've missed the point (note to all the aged rockers)
- Keeler Sounds makes some cool sound hole sound processors, both with and without pickups; they do make a uke version
- MusicNomad had has a neat tool for cleaning the fretboard
- Nicest uke I saw was a Ko'olau CS Thin Body, Spruce/Koa. What a really lovely instrument!
- Coolest thing I saw was an Ome Grand Artist banjo -- it was breathtakingly ornate, insanely beautiful and can be yours for $15K. Honestly, it seems worth every penny

Ohana 8 String Concert!?!?!? And just as I thought I had everything I need!!!

I'm waiting to hear what Kala are going to be bringing to us.

Me too. Their website has been updated:

Scallop series

video from Mike at Uke Republic (on his Facebook page)

ka-smht-sc.png

Ziricote
ka-zct-c.png

Last edited:
For me, it was Mim playing the custom Rebel Tenor - spruce, sapele, rosewood. Hands down, the best sound IMO, and probably from all the sound ports.

It is on her FB page, but I am not seeing it yet on her YouTube channel.

It was already sold, but it makes me want to start collecting aluminum cans along the highway for the recycling money so I can save up for the one she is getting in stock around May.

No idea if Riversong's engineering makes any real difference, but I'd consider buying one just because of how cool that guy is.

Riversong was a surprise. They are an 1.5 hour drive from my house so when I get back from holidays in a week or so I will call them up, drive to Kamloops and play a few. No info on their site on ukuleles..... Just guitar stuff. Same technology. Uke was Sitka spruce top and some funny named maple for back and sides. I will check it out and report back.

I liked the pre release on the EKOA Tenor - Farallon by Blackbird. Surprised UU hasn't done a video yet but I'm sure they are busy and it's a hectic 3-4 days in Anaheim. HMS did a great pre release and now want to hear more samples. The Farallon in on my radar even with our crappy dollar.

I think Kala will do great with their scalloped new tenors. WITH MPRP where they are they are we are likely. To see street prices in low $400 so depend on sound and fit and finish but with K brands you won't get their scallop cutaway at that kind of pricing so for people who want to try this style.........Kala seems to be a good option......

I'm sure there will be more stuff that is interesting as more video and comments come out.

Loved the comment about 45 years olds, hair color, mushrooms and sleeveless shirts. <g>

I like what I see from Kamaka.

Put an order into Andrew at HMS already.

I got to go to the Kamaka 100 year celebration last night. It was amazing, inspirational, and makes me even more proud to be one of their dealers! So for me that has been my most exciting buzz. I may be getting a pineapple myself this year.

I got to go to the Kamaka 100 year celebration last night. It was amazing, inspirational, and makes me even more proud to be one of their dealers! So for me that has been my most exciting buzz. I may be getting a pineapple myself this year.

Yes Mim........ you would look great behind a Kamaka Pineapple with your hair dyed a bright flaming yellow in tribute to the instrument

I liked the pre release on the EKOA Tenor - Farallon by Blackbird. Surprised UU hasn't done a video yet but I'm sure they are busy and it's a hectic 3-4 days in Anaheim. HMS did a great pre release and now want to hear more samples. The Farallon in on my radar even with our crappy dollar.

I think the Farallon is pretty exciting and has a lot of promise. The one that is on display and that Andrew's video shows is not yet final production ready. So in addition to some further sound improvements in the production model that I would expect, they may also add some visual elements to make it less utilitarian looking.

Loved the comment about 45 years olds, hair color, mushrooms and sleeveless shirts. <g>

Maybe next year I'll just shoot photos of all those folks. I'd love to ask a few of them if they REALLY think they're pulling it off. ;-) Don't even get me going on the overweight 40 year-olds walking around in Halloween customs. Mim and I enjoyed a glimpse of a band in full costumes, complete with head masks. I'm sure they smelled lovely after walking around all day in those things. Not. ;-)

Top Bottom