PDA

View Full Version : Diamond G

JackLuis
01-23-2016, 08:30 PM
I'm learning a song that uses G,D, D7 and I thought there should be a little more variation so I threw in a G7 for one or two beats and shifted the D to D7 for one or two beats in the shift to G or G7.

This gave me a fingering problem that I thought might besolved by forming a D ring finger bar and fretting the A string in the third fret for the D7. Easy>:cool:

But the G/G7 shift was a problem, I thought a Diamond G ? Form a G7 0212 normally and fret the E-3rd with the pinky, than I could get a G to G7 shift easily, or even a 0202 Gx? chord, which doesn't work in my song but you get four for one easily adjusted form. Assuming your pinky is educated. Mine is a little rebellious but I'm working on it. :D

Did I just reinvent the wheel? :confused:

ohmless
01-23-2016, 09:15 PM
I know the 0202 chord as Em7th or a G6th. I played strawberry fields forever by the beatles in the key of G and it went from G to Em7th to a G7 in one part. It sounds pretty.

Rllink
01-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Did I just reinvent the wheel? :confused:Probably not, but you figured it out yourself, without someone having to tell you how to do it, or buying some book to show you how to do it. That counts for a lot, as far as I'm concerned. There are a lot of people out there who can't do that.

JackLuis
01-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Ha Ha, I can't actually do it yet. My pinky is too independent and weak.

Phluffy the Destroyer
01-24-2016, 11:01 PM
Personally, I usually just opt for the Hawaiian D7 if I'm going to play a D7 for less than 2 bars, but that's just me. Your G/G7 thing is clever, but I can think of a few problems this "Diamond G" might cause you down the line:

1. G's and G7's take 3 fingers to fret. Your method will take 4, which means one more finger to place properly to make a clear sounding chord. Practicing the finger positions should eventually get you past this issue.

2. It could actually make it more difficult to switch to other basic chords, and some of the really bizarre chords might be quite problematic.

3. The chord shape doesn't sound very movable unless you also fret with your thumb. See item 1; change 4 to 5. If you don't play up the neck, this really doesn't matter, though.

The concept is not of much value to me. Again, that's just me. Others may find it quite helpful. So, if it works for you then you should definitely take the time to own it. It's YOUR concept, and YOU obviously see some value in it. That's all that should matter if you truly believe it might make YOU a better player.

Louis0815
01-24-2016, 11:58 PM
Here's what I do for G/G7 changes:

G chord 0232:
index finger on A string, 2nd fret
middle finger on C string, 2nd fret
ring finger on E string 3rd fret

G7 chord 0212:
index finger E string 1st fret
middle finger C string 2nd fret
ring finger a string 2nd fret

The middle finger acts as a kind of anchor and the other two fingers simply rotate.

YMMV

JackLuis
01-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Phluffy:
By Hawaiian D7 I presume you are talking 2020 which is what I generally use too for D7. However I found trying to get a 2220 in for a (?) dotted quarter note trying, so I shifted to a 2220 D with the middle finger barre and ring finger on the A(3) for a 2223 D7.

I should tell you the song is Country Joe and the Fish's "I think I'm Fixin' to Die Rag" which as near as I can tell is played at ~110 bpm, so a quarter note is ~545 msec. That doesn't leave much time to make a shift for a chord change.

1. Yes it takes four fingers and is a bit tricky to learn but it is faster that my shifting 'normal' forms. It will take some practice, my pinky is seldom used and has to be educated. The secondary objective was to teach my pinky to come out and play, so that is part of my plan.

2. Switching chords is what I was trying to solve for this song. It may not have general utility.

3. It was conceived as a first position trick. It is not movable. Maybe there are better ways to play this up the neck but I wanted the most volume I could get as I will be playing this outside.

You may not find it useful ever, but some others may. I just put it out to get another opinion. I'm still learning this four stringed puzzle.

JackLuis
01-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Louis0815:
I'll try your method. It seemed a little awkward when i just tried it, but I can see it's potential. It probably isn't as fast as lifting the pinky on a diamond G but practice practice practice!

I'd of never thought of that, thanks.

Barrytone
01-25-2016, 09:24 AM
A dotted note is almost an accent. Depending if you are going up or down... g to d a to d etc, you may find no need to make the complete chord. You could try just moving one finger to fret the required note. There agin set it in a different key ie f. This makes some syncopated stuff easier.

Camsuke
01-25-2016, 11:11 AM
"Diamond G" by JackLuis. A fabulous song title if I've ever heard one!

JackLuis
01-25-2016, 02:15 PM
"Diamond G" by JackLuis. A fabulous song title if I've ever heard one!

I laughed, but had another idea, "The Girl With The Diamond G String" about a Memphis stripper in Am or Dm, blues style? I bet Willie Nelson could do it on his 'Trigger' pretty well but it might need a baritone to sound real good on a Uke.

JackLuis
01-25-2016, 02:20 PM
A dotted note is almost an accent. Depending if you are going up or down... g to d a to d etc, you may find no need to make the complete chord. You could try just moving one finger to fret the required note. There agin set it in a different key ie f. This makes some syncopated stuff easier.

I had thought about something similar, just using a single note for the embellishment. I just went by my Uke shop and bought a finger and a thumb pick to try out. I'll test that this evening.

JackLuis
01-25-2016, 09:14 PM
D = Barre 2 fret 222x or 2225 depending on melody or voice you want.
D7 = Barre 2 fret 2223
G = Barre 2 fret. 4232 BDGB (F shape)
G7 = Barre 2 fret 4532 BDFB (implied G) (F7 shape)
If you are switching between D7 and G or G7, just hold the barre on the second fret and let your fingers do the talking.
While you are at it, with the 2 fret barre
Em = 4432
Bm = 4222
B = 4322
B7 = 2322
A7 = 2434

If you are already messing with G(7) and D(7) you could add in A7 like this DDDD GGDD A7GDA7
And you can substitute G and Em and D and Bm for variation.

I copied this off to my Music sheets and will try it in the after the sun comes up. Maybe on a Soprano so I can reach the chords then move it up to the tenor after I have the moves down? It should also give my barres and pinky some practice.

Thanks Bill1.

vinceherman
01-26-2016, 02:53 AM
"Diamond G" by JackLuis. A fabulous song title if I've ever heard one!Exactly! A more sophisticated version of Crazy G

JackLuis
01-27-2016, 02:00 PM
I found another way to solve my problem. My new Zebra wood Baritone showed up today and I realized in Baritone the forms are different and I just need to play "I'm fixin' the Die Rag" in D on the Bari and I'm good to go !

I love it when a plan comes together! Now I just need to figure out Bari chords.

However if I shift to Key of A on the bari, I can play the same forms as a Diamond D!

Ukuleles are fun!