PDA

View Full Version : New eqipment for workshop

Timbuck
01-24-2016, 04:37 AM
Due to me suffering a bad chest infection for the last 4 weeks..and coughing fits most of the night. :( Mrs Timbuck is convinced its down to the bad atmosphere in the workshop and insists I get a better dust extractor....I've got to admit the dust extractor I use is not working very good these days, it's the type that has a filter bag on the top and a plastic bag on the bottom..as the filter bag gets clogged up the suction degrades, the machine leaks in various joints and the whole of the workshop ends up getting covered in a very fine layer of dust particals.
So I have ordered this one from Axminster Tools and I'm hoping 2016 will be a healthier year :)
The New One
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/eb23d306-ac48-4ca9-9e8f-d9b43218ea2e_zps3oiiafdo.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/eb23d306-ac48-4ca9-9e8f-d9b43218ea2e_zps3oiiafdo.jpg.html)
The Old One
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/ec935771-0132-44bf-a69d-0fb165c9f50c_zpsb4duavaf.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/ec935771-0132-44bf-a69d-0fb165c9f50c_zpsb4duavaf.jpg.html)

billten
01-24-2016, 05:33 AM
Hmmm, looks like a really big bread maker. :)

Seriously though I think Mrs Timbuck has the right idea here, gotta take care of your health...

ksquine
01-25-2016, 06:58 AM
You might have stumbled onto a great idea here.....get an illness to prompt your wife to insist you buy new tools.

Now what type of illness would require a new thickness planer?

Sven
01-25-2016, 07:47 AM
Maybe warts on the back of your hands. Or not..?

RPA_Ukuleles
01-25-2016, 09:20 AM
I'm a big believer in the cyclones. Having one has changed my shop environment completely. I also spent some time making small improvised baffles and chases on all my machines to improve dust collection. If you look your machines over you'll likely see where a baffle of thin board, plastic, whatever - held in place with silver foil-tape can direct the flow and really improve dust pickup significantly. A purchased or improvised hood works great for routing. I either tape it down or use a rare earth magnet wherever I can.

I also have my workshop separated into two distinct rooms. One is for dust, the other for shavings. Period. I don't build in the same room that I saw or sand in. A simple stud wall can separate your space, and allow climate control in of a smaller area, and generally keep your work cleaner.

I have small cyclones for two shop vacs as well. Onieda has been selling a small one (a milky plastic) for vacuums for a while now and I think last year came out with a bigger one (black plastic) sized for use with collectors like the one Ken likely now has for sale. ;) The cyclone removes like 95% (or more) of the dust before it hits the filter, thus keeping the filter from clogging too fast and losing suction. (Hey maybe that Dyson fella ought to come up with a workshop collector??) I have a .5 micron filter on mine and it appears that nothing gets by it.

There are cyclones sized for virtually any sized dust collection and you should be able to add one to any system, just insert it before the blower.

The only tool I don't have well controlled is the chop saw. I'm only at about 60% collection on that one :( But I'm gonna do something about it soon!

orangeena
01-25-2016, 10:36 PM
A friend has 'acquired' an orphaned, broken traffic cone for me to build a cyclone with when I get a chance. There are loads of plans/how-to's on line.
Max

RPA_Ukuleles
01-26-2016, 03:24 AM
Here's a fantastic website for building a cyclone. This guy has exact sizing relationships worked out for top performance. I know this has been posted before but is worthy of reposting.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/cyclone_plan.cfm

There is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet to fabricate one about any size you might need.

I built my first one 4 years ago out of flat cardboard! (not corrugated), lacquered it up and it's still working flawlessly in my roll around collector. The cardboard was free and cost me about $3 in lacquer.

Of course this brings up the question- is your time better spent making ukes, or building tools to make ukes.??

Timbuck
01-26-2016, 06:13 AM
I arrived today in two boxes..It was almost all dismantled with all the parts and a large bag of nuts bolts and screws ready to assemble..The manual was not too clear in parts, but I finaly got it together (It took me 2.5 hours)... Due to the nasty weather I built it up in the lounge with the permission of Mrs T of course, and when it was completed it turned out to be a lot bigger than I first thought (it makes the old one look tiny)..and we had to remove 2 of the legs just to get it through the doors and out to the workshop...we gave it a quick test and found it to be much quieter than the old one even tho the motor was twice the size...I sucked up a load of sawdust and chippings but there was no sign of any fine dust in the plastic bag, the cyclone and filter must have removed it all.

Michael Smith
01-26-2016, 07:30 AM
Misses T did a good thing for you. It is the very fine dust that makes it past your cilia. Those little buggers are the ones that get you. It aint pretty when you get got. Your old unit likely let those small particles through. I met a guy last week with "bakers lung" from breathing too much flour while he baked. Man oh man was he messed up.

Timbuck
02-04-2016, 01:53 AM
After 5 weeks of illness, Flu, chest infection, coughing and wheezing, high temperature, aches and pains and all that crap.... Now thanks to the local Doc putting me on a course of antibiotics I'm finally getting back to work again on some ukes...today I did some thickness sanding and sawing using the new Cyclone set up....Much better working conditions now...I don't know how I ever managed to work with no dust extraction at all when i first started.