I like a handy uke

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Who has a uke or two hanging around out in the open to grab when the moods strikes

Most of my instruments are solid wood so they reside in a hardcase with an Oasis humidifier. The cold dry Canadian winters force that upon us. But my house is around 40% humidity so I keep a Koaloha Opio concert propped up in a chair for fast access.

There is something fun and flat out liberating about grabbing a uke and strumming a tune while waiting for the coffee to brew.

So who else loves having a uke just hanging around for when the spirit moves you.

I find that if my ukes are in their cases I will go for a few days without playing them. But if I have one out on a stand I will pick it up several times a day and either just noodle around or work on something I am having trouble with.

My Ukes and banjos and most of my other instruments surround me in my music room and annex (bedroom). My Ukes are plywood and without humidifiers, but nothin's cracked or warped or exploded so far. I'm just not interested in going through all the fuss and worry that other UUers put up with. Que sera, sera . . .

If Willie Nelson can play with "Tigger", I can put up with a crack or two. :eek:ld:

When I got my Mainland I started putting it back in the case when I wasn't playing it right off the bat. The case with the Mainland resides on a little table in the corner of the dining room, where it is handy to the back deck. I worried that having to get it out of the case might keep me from playing it as much, but it hasn't. I still play it every day, and every time I play it, I put it back in the case and close the case up. It hasn't made any difference. One thing though, our decor is not really complimented by ukulele display, and both my wife and I think that it looks a little out of place sitting out, so it is probably better the way it is now.

I keep my solid ukes in their cases, but my KoAlana, Ohana concert, and Vita are on wall-mounted hooks. The Fluke is in a stand in my living room and the Flea is on a file cabinet at work.

Like you, I wouldn't leave a solid uke out during the winter. (My Ohana mahogany soprano developed a crack last winter, and I had to have a luthier patch it.) You might consider picking up a Fluke/Flea or a laminate (I continue lusting after the Martin 0XK) and leave it handy.

All the ones in my house are in cases. I kind of like seeing them when I open the case - like a piece of art is nestled inside. Even my OXK and my Outdoor Ukulele are cased. No impediment to play-ability.

My regularly used instruments are on hooks on the wall ... grab one and go :)

The less-often used ukuleles are in a rack on top of the book-case ... takes all of 30 seconds to fetch on of those ;)

I used to have one (or more) "strategically" placed on the settee or alongside my armchair, but after a couple of close calls decided they would be safer where they couldn't get sat or stepped on ... as you might guess, I don't have anyone to consider about my choice of "wall art" ;)

None of my ukes are worth keeping in cases or near humidifiers. Besides, I bought them to PLAY, not to preserve. That said, I have one in my bedroom, one in my living room, one in my home office, and one at work that travels back and forth in my car.

The one in my living room has become sort of a Pavlov's Bell to get my wife to hurry up when we are going out. She knows that when I start playing, it means I am dressed with keys in hand and that she ought to hurry up. The one in my car (a pocket uke) gets played when I am at a long traffic light. I pick up the one in my office when I am waiting for iTunes to take its sweet time opening.

All of my ukuleles live in cases = right now only4 are not in hard shell cases - the 1920's Stella banjo uke is in a Cordoba gig bag, and the 1950s Harmony is in the original chipboard case, while the two Bugs Gear plastic ukes are in the bags they came in.

That being said, I keep an Ohana Vita Uke, a National Triolean Resophonic Uke, a Fluke FireFly, and my Donaldson Custom Concert within 5 feet of my computer chair - I don't even have to move to get to the Vita and the FireFly, and usually pick one of them up any time I'm not doing active typing...

I keep four hanging on the wall next to my computer, unless I take on downstairs to practice during TV commercials.

I keep one guitar and one uke hanging around my living area. I humidify my house to 45, relative.

I have a Walnut Fluke Tenor in my TV room that I can grab anytime I get the urge. I have three solid wood Ukuleles all in cases , all with Oasis and I make a point to play one or two every day. Humidity in my part of BC is low to zero at this time of year. Must humidify and keep in case. Looking a Farallon so I don't have to worry but really, it's not much hassle for the great sound you get out of solid wood. But I can see a Farallon in my future so I have stellar player that I don't have to worry a bout.

The Fluke was Father's Day requested gift and it great to take in car, play quiet in hotel rooms, never worry with Laminate walnut top. I added Peghed as I hated the friction tuner. If I'm ever to do the Fluke again it will be with solid spruce top and pegheds. Still searching for string that show off this Fluke the best.

All my ukulles get played. IF and when certain ones don't..... I will consider selling.

We have an office/computer/music room in which my tenor guitar, tenor banjo and mandolin are hanging on a wall. There's usually two or theee standing at the ready in the room underneath the wallhangers. In addition, there's a Flea Soprano standing on its base in the living room entertainment center, next to the TV. My spouse thinks the Flea is a neat ornament and its there for easy reach as well.

Top Bottom