Which concert? Martin Ck1 or KoAloha Opio concert?

EmmaQ

Reaction score
Need advice, folks. I'll be playing a lot of Fingerstyle on it and have it tuned in high g. In the past, I have preferred a warmer sounding instrument and I'm pretty sure the Opio will sound warmer but there's something about the Martin that is appealing! I already have the Blackbird Clara which I love (!!!!!!!), but it's tuned in low g and I need a high g as well... one that also costs much less. I've actually already ordered the Martin but I'm having a few second thoughts now. I know I can easily return it so I'd love it if some of you players can chime in with your experiences and opinions. Thanks!

Personally, I'd pick the Martin, I used to have one, it's going to be loud and punchy. If you like mellow, try some Worth browns on it.

Thanks; I feel reassured by your post that I didn't make a mistake going with the Martin. Especially like your advice about trying Worth Browns if I want a bit more mellow.
Still looking forward to hearing from others-

No mistake going with the Martin! Great uke for the $. Try Worth Browns on your Clara too ... they were my favorite strings on that uke, and I tried many.

Both of you are making feel better. Thanks for Clara advice too. Right now I have the Oasis Brights on them. Have you tried those? If so, tell me why you prefer the Worth Browns?

Every C1K I've played or heard has been excellent.

Scooter

Thanks; I'm feeling better and better!

Both of you are making feel better. Thanks for Clara advice too. Right now I have the Oasis Brights on them. Have you tried those? If so, tell me why you prefer the Worth Browns?

Yes, tried brights and quickly removed them. They were the one string I tried that I didn't like at all. To me and my ears, they were a tone-killer. You may have different results. The Browns (to me) provided the best tone and sustain of all the strings I tried.

Thanks; I think I'll order the Browns soon and try them out. ��

Finn, crosding my fingers I get a good one right off the bat. Thanks for your link. Hey, I notice you also have a Kiwaya KS-5. I've been curious about those as well. Do you like it... other thoughts you can share?

Kiwaya KS-5 (or Famous FS-5) is a laminate "Martin style" koa soprano. It's just perfect in every way. It's very light and loud. You can't go wrong with a Kiwaya

I hate to break up the "Martin love in" but the Koaloha Opio concert is a cannon. I owned a Koaloha KCM-00 which is the koa model at over $900 and the Opio concert at the same time. The Opio is SOOO close to the other at less than half the price it is staggering. If you like the Koaloha look and sound the Opio delivers in spades. If you like the Martin they are great as well. Personal preference really.

The Koalohas have always been noted to be very consistent it sound quality from one instrument to another. Not many manufactures have that reputation. I still own the Opio concert.

Don't worry Emma, I compared my C1K to Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a and Nazareth made Martins in a store and the C1K sounded every bit as good, if not better.

Don't worry Emma, I compared my C1K to Koaloha, Kamaka, Kanile'a and Nazareth made Martins in a store and the C1K sounded every bit as good, if not better.

I could say the same thing about my Opio. Both are great ukes.........pick the one that floats your boat. If you love the Martin more then that is the one you need to buy.

My experience is that the Martins vary a lot. A whole lot. You might get a very good one. You might not. There are other brands that seem to be more consistent from uke to uke, though there will always be some variation across instruments.

Kiwaya, Loprinzi, Pono are brands with which I'm familiar that I generally find to be relatively consistent in my experience (which is subjective, others will and do vary in what they prefer).

Well.... I do know the Opio is a great uke and I'm hoping the Martin that comes will be a good one too. If I don't like it, I WILL return it for the Opio.
Now, changing the subject temporarily, Ukekele Eddie, do you still have your Kiwaya KS-5 for sale? Can't afford it right now since I just bought the Clara (or Opio if the Martin doesn't work out) but I have been dreaming of one for some time. The fact that yours also has the geared tuners is nice too. I'm hoping yours will still be available when I CAN afford it.

Last edited:
Well.... I do know the Opio is a great uke and I'm hoping the Martin that comes will be a good one too. If I don't like it, I WILL return it for the Opio.
Now, changing the subject temporarily, Ukekele Eddie, do you still have your Kiwaya KS-5 for sale? Can't afford it right now since I just bought the Clara (or Opio if the Martin doesn't work out) but I have been dreaming of one for some time. The fact that yours also has the geared tuners is nice too. I'm hoping yours will still be available when I CAN afford it.

Yes, it's available. I haven't yet actively marketed it other than listing it in my signature. I replied to your PM this morning, BTW.

Thanks. I just read your PM. Hopefully, you received my reply.

Top Bottom