Kanile'a CS-DLX Tenor

lennymac

Reaction score
Hi folks, after a bit of a break I'm looking to get back into playing a bit more. I've been looking at buying a K brand Tenor and am curious about the above - Cobra Slotted Kanile'a Tenor Deluxe model - but I can't really find much info on it. Does anyone here have one, or tried one?

Many thanks

I have a Kanilea CST slothead tenor which is pretty much the same except for the shape of the peghead. I really like it. It has great openness, warmth and volume. It is top quality inside and out, with a slim neck. The Gotoh stealth tuners add to the lightness and balance. It pretty much has ended my tenor search.

I have a thought, but have never owned that uke. The Gotoh Stealths have been known to break, such as from a Fall, or burn out, such as from aggressive use of a string winder. The thin headstock of some Ukes allows only replacement with Gotoh Stealths. Thicker headstocks, like on my Koaolau with Gotoh Stealths, allows use of other tuners as an option. I had a thread in this at one time, and I'll try to find and link it here. Only one factor to consider. (I have since sold my KoOlau. Would I get them again? No. No advantage, some disadvantages in sturdiness. Would I actually avoid a uke with them? Yes. But, that's me.)

Kanileas are the blingiest K brand, for sure, looks-wise. Intonation can be variable, as can be volume (or lack thereof), so try before you buy is a suggestion. This is based on personal experience with friend's Kanilea, the respected StevePetergal, and many threads regarding such. Try in person is good advice for any uke, but especially Kanileas. Good luck, fun to uke!

Yes, here they are, two threads. And, in addition to the posts on this thread, know one UUer since then that had his uke slip and fall and broke a Gotoh Stealth.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ealth-Tuners-opinions&highlight=Gotoh+stealth

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-Gotoh-Stealth-Oops-(&highlight=Gotoh+stealth

Last edited:
Kanile'a makes a fine instrument, you can't go wrong and that headstock looks pretty cool!

Looks like the gotohs are a non-issue, don't know why it was brought up.

Last edited:
Cmon guys, let's agree to disagree . . .

i'm glad to have brought up a known issue that some respected UUers--Dan, Tim, and Ryan-- have experienced with Gotoh Stealth tuners--a rather big issue for them. Obviously, good info for Lenny before he has made his purchase so that he can factor it into his decision on both tuner selection, and headstock thickness (to allow future modifications if necessary).

Caveat epmtor everybody.

The Kanile'a CS-DLX is a feast for the eyes. WOW! In my opinion, Kanile'as are the best looking non-custom ukuleles there are. More beautiful than almost all the customs, too.

Are they great instruments? There are differing opinions. Listen to Corey Fujimoto play one over the internet and it sounds great. But, I have played maybe a dozen or so and owned three (each very briefly). All the Kanile'as I've played have sounded dull compared to other high-level ukuleles. All of them. And, now that I listen, I hear characteristics of that in even Corey's recordings.

Some people want a low volume, muted tone. Hey, if that's you, enjoy. If you can play yours before buying, do so. If not, buy from HMS, like I did. If it doesn't meet your needs or expectations, you can exchange it. All mine had poor intonation, (one extremely poor) and were returned.

As far as the Stealth tuners are concerned, They too are pretty cool to look at. (I personally think they're too minimalist. Does the weight really make so much difference that you want something so plain looking? Definitely not to me.) But as coolkayaker1 says, There have been several legit reports of them failing and being inconsistent in their function, like one or two in a set being very tight and near impossible to adjust. The kayaker is right to point this out. That's what the forum is for, (if I may end a sentence in a preposition). Most Stealths are probably fine. I seem to remember coolkayaker1's worked well. But, let's agree to agree that the minimal, light-weight design apparently has it's down-side. They are probably not as durable or consistent as more conventional tuners.

If you're going to buy an ukulele with Stealths, you might ask if the shape of the headstock would allow you to replace them with something else if the need arose. (If it was me, I'd have the seller replace them before I bought it) The headstock problem was a very serious problem for Ryan Rodriguez when he had 2 (was it 3?) Stealths fail. But, that was a custom, with a headstock designed specifically for the Stealths.

As I said, caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Caveat epmtor everybody.

The Kanile'a CS-DLX is a feast for the eyes. WOW! In my opinion, Kanile'as are the best looking non-custom ukuleles there are. More beautiful than almost all the customs, too.

Are they great instruments? There are differing opinions. Listen to Corey Fujimoto play one over the internet and it sounds great. But, I have played maybe a dozen or so and owned three (each very briefly). All the Kanile'as I've played have sounded dull compared to other high-level ukuleles. All of them. And, now that I listen, I hear characteristics of that in even Corey's recordings.

Some people want a low volume, muted tone. Hey, if that's you, enjoy. If you can play yours before buying, do so. If not, buy from HMS, like I did. If it doesn't meet your needs or expectations, you can exchange it. All mine had poor intonation, (one extremely poor) and were returned.

As far as the Stealth tuners are concerned, They too are pretty cool to look at. (I personally think they're too minimalist. Does the weight really make so much difference that you want something so plain looking? Definitely not to me.) But as coolkayaker1 says, There have been several legit reports of them failing and being inconsistent in their function, like one or two in a set being very tight and near impossible to adjust. The kayaker is right to point this out. That's what the forum is for, (if I may end a sentence in a preposition). Most Stealths are probably fine. I seem to remember coolkayaker1's worked well. But, let's agree to agree that the minimal, light-weight design apparently has it's down-side. They are probably not as durable or consistent as more conventional tuners.

If you're going to buy an ukulele with Stealths, you might ask if the shape of the headstock would allow you to replace them with something else if the need arose. (If it was me, I'd have the seller replace them before I bought it) The headstock problem was a very serious problem for Ryan Rodriguez when he had 2 (was it 3?) Stealths fail. But, that was a custom, with a headstock designed specifically for the Stealths.

As I said, caveat emptor.

I'd be interested in hearing which brands you feel are better. I have owned Kamaka's (with intonations problems)and customs and my K1 Super concert is loud and bright, not dull at all. Very much a keeper.

Wow, thanks for all the advice folks! As I am in the uk I have limited/no ability to try before I buy so have gone ahead and bought one which arrived the other day - I have to say I am delighted, sounds much brighter than my kamaka and feels amazing to play, and I am just delighted - as for the tuners, love the look and the Uke feels dead light, time will only tell. I am delighted with my purchase though!

Congrat's, Lenny! I love the sound and feel of my Kanile'a and that headstock is cool looking!

What an awesome looking uke!

This thread is a testament to the vast differences in personal taste and experiences: My only complaint about Kanile'a (SE ST 19) is the sense of guilt I have for ignoring all my other ukes, including a beautiful Kamaka HF-3. I just can't get enough of the tone or the feel of that neck in my hand. My luthier went nuts over it too... Hope your experience is like mine! :)

I must admit I'm in love with it so far..... I feel I might neglect it's siblings too....

Last edited:
I'd be interested in hearing which brands you feel are better. I have owned Kamaka's (with intonations problems)and customs and my K1 Super concert is loud and bright, not dull at all. Very much a keeper.

As musical instruments, I have liked the Kamakas I've tried more than the Kanile'as I've played and owned. I like the sound of KoAlohas much more than either. I like the sound of Ponos more than that of Kanile'as. I've played several Ko'olaus I thought were superior, (and one I thought was not).

Kanile'a is the only one among these that has consistently disappointed me with its tone. That being said, my thoughts are not built on any scientific study. I've played a handful KoAlohas, a few Ko'olaus, a few dozen Kamakas, several Ponos, and as I said, only a dozen or so Kanile'as. You can hear lovely recordings of Kanile'as all over the place. I'm sure your K1 is great.

I mentioned the intonation issue only because the one instrument was extremely bad (one string almost a quarter tone flat at 12). I don't think any of these builders makes instruments with intonation problems as a rule. I just don't think a builder of such high quality (which Kanile'a surely is) should let one so very bad be sold. But I'm sure every builder has an occasional miss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom