The "I Bought a Blackbird Farallon Ukulele" Thread

I didn't know they were on their site yet ready for sale? What are they quoting for delivery?
I need to hear some high g sound samples before I pull the trigger but I'm thinking serious about getting one. I'm on holiday in a very humid country right now and think that the Farallon would be just the ticket!

Googling "blackbird farallon ukulele" yields their order page. I didn't use that, though. Just communicated with them via their "contact" page to get things rolling.

Last edited:
I bought a Clara with the idea that I would move up to an ekoa tenor if Blackbird ever made one, so I'm curious about the Farallon (and I live in SF, so I could probably just drop in on Joe and chat with him about them). I had heard that the Farallon at NAMM was a prototype and production isn't expected for a few months or so. Did the Blackbird people give you an ETA?

I bought a Clara with the idea that I would move up to an ekoa tenor if Blackbird ever made one, so I'm curious about the Farallon (and I live in SF, so I could probably just drop in on Joe and chat with him about them). I had heard that the Farallon at NAMM was a prototype and production isn't expected for a few months or so. Did the Blackbird people give you an ETA?

Yup -- three months. But that's clearly an estimate.

Any idea on the price yet?

I love my Clara. I love how full and deep the sound is. Curious how much different the Farallon will sound. Will look forward to a side by side comparison

Since getting my own Clara and falling in love with it, I've become a predominately concert player. I am curious though and I do look forward to trying one out.

I have their Clara with the radius fretboard. Do you know if the new tenor has a radius or a flat fretboard?

I have their Clara with the radius fretboard. Do you know if the new tenor has a radius or a flat fretboard?

I believe Blackbird offers radius fretboards as an upgrade.

Given how huge a Clara fan I am (and I am normally a tenor guy), I am pretty sure I will be getting one.

I want one too! No money or space....

Is it any coincidence these are coming out right when people are getting their Tax Refunds? I say smart planning on their part :)

Is it any coincidence these are coming out right when people are getting their Tax Refunds? I say smart planning on their part :)

Refund? You mean, you loaned money to the government tax free for a year? Why? ;-)

I'm intrigued by them. Clara was not too tempting because I didn't want to drop so much money on a concert size before I was clear that this is what I wanted (I seem to be more drawn to tenors and sopranos), but the new tenor model is seductive. But it's more a wanting than a needing. :) Definitely on the radar, though!

A little taste from Uke Republic..... I'm already in love. I immediately sent the link to my husband, who is a tenor player. I hope we can purchase one for him. Love that shape!!!! Sound is hard to make out with all the background noise, but I think it is going to be as sweet and robust as the Clara, and then some. If they ever make this shape in a concert, I will be getting it. I still LOVE my Clara. Love it. It is such a wonderful instrument. https://www.facebook.com/sailor.jim1/videos/10205282057122123/

Last edited:
As for sound samples, there are several bits in the video from the guys at HMS (Farallon Ekoa Tenor sampled at 1:22, 9:48, and 20:34):

https://vimeo.com/152258936

Thanks Jenny for sharing the link.... It looks like a mini El Capitan.... The shoulders are very broad (square) just like a jumbo guitar. I look at that design verses say the more rounded shoulders on other tenor ukes like outdoor uke (know it is a different $$$ class) but tend to like the more rounder look.

Still very interested and looking forward to when they hit the streets with more videos and reviews....

Top Bottom