Easy scales!

bunnyf

Reaction score
I have started noodling a bit with fingerstyle and thought perhaps I should work on scales. Many may know this already, but I found this page http://kauairainbow.com/Ukulele/Scales/scales1.html to be a very clear explanation of how to find a scale. Even if you get bored by their explanation, glance at the chart showing you the C pattern. You can take that pattern right up the neck by just changing your starting point on the 3rd string. Whatever note you're starting on, is THAT key scale. It was an ah ha moment for me.

That's a great website. Their articles on chords and chord theory helped me very much.

Scales starting on the second string are also easy and kind of fun. Play Index, Index, Ring, Pinky on the second string then drop and repeat Index, Index, Ring, Pinky on the first string. The two slides on the index finger make you feel like a rock star.

Second image totally wrong? Why did he show Do instead of Re on the second fret of the second string?
Yes, I know, the pattern is the same but notes are different.

If you mean the C string (I call that 3rd), it's cuz he's showing you that when you move the pattern up a whole step, you now have the D scale (so now this is DO, 3rd str 2nd f).....and same pattern continues up the neck

Yes, you are right, C string (3rd).
Now I get it. As I understand he means steps I, II, III, IV using Do, Re, Mi, Fa... Using note's names is quite confusing there.

Thank you for posting this. I have bookmarked it and will use it.

Top Bottom