Looking for string recommendations

Still Water Weapons

Reaction score
So, I finally ordered my Pono pro classic. I chose cedar top and mahogany back and sides. I didn't ask what strings it comes with, doesn't really matter. I'll play them for a while.
To you guys with more experience than I, looking for some string ideas to have on hand. Not looking for the "best" strings, I know better than that. Just some ideas that might work well with that wood combination.
Thanks!

High G or low G?
If low G do you like metal/wound bass strings or fluorocarbon?

Just trying to save you some time. :)

Do a search. You'll find hundreds of threads.

I had an Ohana Port Orford cedar top and Worth browns sounded really good on it. They were a little mellower, that uke was very bright!

Try the PHD high g.
Lots of people like the PHD strings.

I have had high G and low G PHD on my Pono MGT and MTD. These strings seem to make any uke sound louder, clearer and just down right amazing.
They are also thinner in diameter than other strings which I think makes them easier to fret, bend, hammer-on/off, etc.

I get mine through Lucy's ukes on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHD-Ukulele...hash=item2810970272:m:mryrI9nWvFI3MNERaRv2mTw

I have a cedar top Kala and so far for high G I like Oasis Warm and PHD. The Oasis are my faves so far with the PHD in a very close second.

edited to add:

I like a warm tone. If you want a little more ring from your cedar you can also try Savarez Alliance. I have them on a concert uke and they sound almost harp like.

Last edited:
Try Worth Browns.

I recommend Oasis Bright Low G wound and Low G unwound.

The bright will give the Cedar a little sparkle.

They are a Fluoro Carbon string and I like the tension and gauge of the string.

I buy strings from Strings by Mail. And Amazon has some good prices.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Regarding the Worth Browns, there are a bunch of different designations. Light, Medium, Extra, Fat, Custom, etc. Which ones???

What about Southcoast? I liked the Light Medium I had on my Spruce, Maple tenor, but just recently the E started sounding odd. So I just swapped them out for the Soft Medium, they are still settling in, so no opinion yet.

As others have said there are a ton of options and threads on strings. After years of trying various strings I have pretty much settled on Oasis. Warm on a tenor and Bright on a concert. The only difference between the Warm and Bright are the G and A strings. The C and E are the same for both sets. In my experience with cedar top ukuleles, it is pretty easy to over-drive it. My wife has a cedar top Kala concert and that one has Aquila Reds on it; fluorocarbons just didn't cut it for some reason.

John

Top Bottom