Looking to buy my first Uke, but not sure between two

Reaction score
I've been looking at the Kala KA-C and the Kala KA-PWC.

Is the PWC solid walnut rather than a laminate? If so, how does walnut's sound differ from (laminate) mahogany?

In addition, are there any better Ukuleles I'm overlooking for about $100?

Last edited:
both are laminate, sound will likely slightly differ

as for around $100 ukes... I listened to this a lot when I was looking at that price range... I eneded up bumping it a bit for a solid top
http://www.theukulelereview.com/2013/05/27/6-concert-ukulele-around-100/

for a solid top you are looking at about $50 more starting for solid and another $50 for all solid

the one exception to the solid top price that I've seen is if you go with a caramel Uke from ebay... I've read good things about them on here but they won't come setup like buying from a reputable dealer online (I bought from Mim)

I haven't played those two but i can recommend the Kala-SLNG as a really good $100 uke.

Thanks for the suggestion! However, I'm really only in the market for a concert, not a soprano.

the Kala-SLNG is a super/longneck soprano... so has a a concert fretboard/neck... I seriously considered one... will very likely be my next uke.... so maybe an option depending... I went outright concert for my first though :)

Given both instruments are laminate, it's probably going to be more about looks than sound. I have a Kala KA-C and I doubt you'll get better for the money, they really are very good :) but if you prefer the walnut finish, go for it ;) in my experience, an instrument I like the look of is likely to get more playing time, assuming all else to be equal !

As others have noted, getting any instrument professionaly "set up" is likely to be worth it if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, and get them to fit a strap button whilst they're at it !!

In my opinion, there isn't much to a setup for a ukulele. There is no neck adjustment generally. Saddles aren't slotted. If the action is too high just slide the saddle out and sand a bit off the bottom.

If the nut is too high, do the same.

Kala's are a good value for the money IMO, even the laminate ones.

Last edited:
I don't believe it matters much with laminates, but here is a good description of walnut's tonal properties. I think a laminated ukulele is a decent choice for a first uke (there are some high-end laminates as well) and, depending on where you live, it removes the worrying about the humidity level.

My first off-the-shelf ukulele was not set up properly and it nearly caused me to drop the hobby right there. As someone who is not "crafty" at all, even something as trivially sounding as "just sand down the bridge/nut" is a roadbloack. :) (The first string changing was a big event!) I think getting a properly set-up first ukulele that plays well (not too high action, no buzzing, proper intonation up the neck, etc.) is more important than the choice of wood. I'd go with a set-up $100 ukulele over a $300 "needs adjustments" ukulele. For "crafty" or experienced people , this may be different.

also consider trying to find a used Flea/Fluke, though that might be a little outside of your price range. They're universally well set-up with nice low action/ great intonation/ indestructible and good easy-to-resale value.

You'll get plenty of opinions, but here's one more:

Just pick the one that you like the looks of and buy it today from somewhere that properly sets it up. There's not going to be a major difference in sound at that level and even if there is, you'll only have one of them so you can't really compare. If you like the looks, you'll like picking it up and you're more likely to play.

As far as setup, it's not a big deal once you know, but when you're first picking up a uke, it's better if you can just pick it up and play and not wonder if you're having trouble because of a bad setup or just because of your lack of ability. So buy from an actual uke shop, not a guitar center and buy it today so that you have it in your hands so that you can spend more time playing and less time worrying about which one.

Basically, just start playing and you can lust over nicer ukes later when you've learned a couple chords.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to buy a Ohana from Mim in the next few days. So that will be setup already.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to buy a Ohana from Mim in the next few days. So that will be setup already.

Smart, smart, smart move. You will be very happy with what Mim delivers to you. Congratulations and enjoy

Top Bottom