Kamaka Relief

fretie

Reaction score
Is it just me or is anyone else relieved that the Kamaka anniversary means for us plebs just a headstock banner and some extra abalone bling on the KK logo?!

Given I'd never be able to afford one of the 100 special edition pineapples, I'm glad to see the stock ukes looking mostly like they've been looking for a long time now. 'Cause now I don't have to sell off my little ol'sweet plain K to get some stunner of an anniversary uke. Phew!

Love my Kamaka as it is even if it doesn't say 1916/2016 on the headstock and sports merely mother of pearl K's rather than abalone.

There, I got brave and said it! Anyone else feeling da Kamaka relief...or is it just little lonesome me?

I'm kind of in a "don't have to have everything" sort of place lately where I just accept that there is always stuff around that I can't presently have, and that some of that is time-limited and I'll miss out permanently.

I actually started to develop some form of "resentment" (too strong a word) toward that deadline-oriented marketing strategy that aims at pressuring potential customers into buying something, or doing something, out of "fear" to miss out. This is not aimed at Kamaka, actually, because a 100-year anniversary is obviously an important event that should be celebrated with special models. I see nothing wrong with that. But in general, I make an effort to free myself from the "bondage of consumerism". The hardest are those flash-sale type of deals where you have a day or two to make up your mind. I must have spent more money in order to save money than I would have if I hadn't tried to save money!

I also find myself moving closer to a mindset where I consider that the more special something is, the harder it is to replace it, and thus the more intimidating it is to use for me. That really hit home when I got my custom Barron River, which I at first barely dared to touch out of worry I could ding or scratch it. I got over that now, but in general I think I prefer things, including ukuleles, that are not too special. Peace of mind and all that. :)

yours is between 1916-2016, even more awesome! I'll get the Pineapple trying my best:) the most impressed is word by Casey and Chris about the five flowers on rosette: the five generations Kamaka has.

I like their strategy all the way around. Those people that already own a Kamaka can stay satisfied with what the presently have. Those that don't own a Kamaka yet (I am in that camp) can buy the anniversary model because it is not twice the price
I think Kamaka gave this a lot of thought and did not want to alienate anybody

You hit the nail on the head. It really is not about a consumer deadline as much as it is about celebrating the company.
So it is very nice the way they are doing it. They are not changing the brand, just honoring it.

The whole feel of NAMM was cool because it was not, "Hey Mim, as a dealer, you can sell a lot of these because they are only made like this this year." (a marketing strategy)
It was a "celebrate with us" feel! "We made this headstock to celebrate."

If the stars align and it turns out that this is the year that I was meant to buy a HP-1L longneck pineapple and it has the anniversary logo on it - great! If not, no big deal. I wouldn't buy it just for the sake of the logo. I guess I'm *a little* relieved that the special-edition pineapple isn't tempting to me at all - it's pretty, but all that inlay isn't to my taste even if the price tag was in the realm of affordability (which I'm sure it is not).

Great to read your responses and points of view. I am absolutely a huge Kamaka fan and one of many reasons for that is an appreciation for their understated good quality. Going with a headstock banner and mimimal bling on their stock ukes is in keeping with the Kamaka style, now that I reflect on it.

I will celebrate their hundred years of making wonderful ukes every time I play my stock 2014 pineapple which is basically every day!

I bought my pineapple a little over a year ago, and I never had any intention of waiting for a 100th anniversary model. I'm not a collector, I'm a player. I hope this anniversary does inspire some to buy a Kamaka when they haven't owned one before, but I'll just get a hat or t-shirt.

I think it's great that a family owned business of any type can last 100 years and that they are celebrating it on all models. I won't be trading my 1968 Kamaka for a new one but will be getting a shirt to mark the milestone.

Hoping for another 100 for the family!

I haven't bought a Kamaka before ... I have heard good and bad ... but I will be buying one this year! Put my order in already!

Is it just me or is anyone else relieved that the Kamaka anniversary means for us plebs just a headstock banner and some extra abalone bling on the KK logo?!

Given I'd never be able to afford one of the 100 special edition pineapples, I'm glad to see the stock ukes looking mostly like they've been looking for a long time now. 'Cause now I don't have to sell off my little ol'sweet plain K to get some stunner of an anniversary uke. Phew!

Love my Kamaka as it is even if it doesn't say 1916/2016 on the headstock and sports merely mother of pearl K's rather than abalone.

There, I got brave and said it! Anyone else feeling da Kamaka relief...or is it just little lonesome me?
I feel the same way. I've had my 2015 Kamaka soprano for a month now. No bells or whistles, no bling but it does have that classic amazing Hawaiian sound. I love the stock strings too btw.

Top Bottom