Which uke to buy? Kamaka big year 2016!

sonsinn

Reaction score
NAMM Show 2016 ended a few days ago. we see all display of stock model and limited Pineapple from Kamaka Hawaii booth 1517. which uke is the best to buy in 2016 from Kamaka? I want to buy a slotted headstock tenor definitively. shall not miss 100th Anniversary.

I personally am getting a pineapple or a soprano. Not sure which yet, but I am leaning towards the Pineapple.
Not the blinged out one, just a standard one.

Mim, I want another HP-1L :eek:

I think the standard HP-1L would suit me just fine. I think I'll start putting some pennies aside every chance I get.

Does anyone know when they will be available at retailers?

The only model I'm tempted by is the one with the black slotted headstock (D2I), either concert or tenor size. But at a price of 3K or more, this will be way out of reach. So I'll just be happy with my plain ol' pineapple that is 3 years short of 100.

Sonsinn, where did you see the prices for 2016? Looks like Kamaka homepage hasn't been updated in a while...

The only model I'm tempted by is the one with the black slotted headstock (D2I), either concert or tenor size. But at a price of 3K or more, this will be way out of reach. So I'll just be happy with my plain ol' pineapple that is 3 years short of 100.

Sonsinn, where did you see the prices for 2016? Looks like Kamaka homepage hasn't been updated in a while...
mim's ukulele store

My two sons and my wife need new Ukuleles: LN Pineapple, Tenor and Ohta San.

It is true. They really.

Anyone not buying a centenary Kamaka is a fool. Already have my order in :rock::rock:

kamakahawaii homepage is still 2015 updated MSRP. anyhow, they are going to update the website completely in Spring 2016 as it said.

Last edited:
kamakahawaii homepage is already with updated MSRP. anyhow, they are going to update the website completely in Spring 2016 as it said.

The longneck pineapple is listed as MSRP $995 on the site - if my memory is correct, that's what it's been for a while. Any idea if that's really the price of the HP-1L with the commemorative logo?

HMS has just posted a video demoing the new Tenor and Concert size Kamaka Deluxe models (HF-D2I) with the slotted headstock, Abalone purfling, and the anniversary logo; the two featured instruments have different tuners, so maybe they are undecided about them yet:

https://vimeo.com/153741163

HMS has just posted a video demoing the new Tenor and Concert size

Kamaka Deluxe models (HF-D2I) with the slotted headstock, Abalone purfling, and the anniversary logo; the two featured instruments have different tuners, so maybe they are undecided about them yet:

https://vimeo.com/153741163

I had watched the video and as much as I am.a died in the wool tenor guy that concert was great sounding. If I were buying with my ears I would have picked that one. I never noticed the tuners, good catch

Anyone not buying a centenary Kamaka is a fool.

Why though? There are better options to invest money, and if someone already has a cabinet full of ukuleles, or is satisfied with what they have, there are probably plenty of equally as delicious ways of spending money. :)

But anyway, I definitely am thinking about getting a Kamaka this year, just to have one, but I'm not really sure what size. Plus, right now I don't really "need" another ukulele and there's no strong pull. Sound-wise, I'm happy as a kitten with the Barron River for the tenor sound, and with the KoAloha LN pineapple for the "classic" sound. Actually, it's better than the classic sound because it has that KoAloha boom where it sounds much bigger than it is, which still fascinates me. I'd probably be more tempted to get another of KoAloha now that they move away from the koa fretboards.

I'll see where my desires take me in the course of the year! My ukulele-y preferences are still in flux and you know what it's like with the sleeping dragon that UAS is. It can snore for weeks and months, but when it does wake up, the wallet suffers an anxiety attack.

Top Bottom