Anyone play nylon guitar over a steel string?

C-roy

Reaction score
Does anyone else prefer a nylon guitar ovar a steel string, and not use the nylon string guitar for classical music?

I use it, and love the sound way more than steel. But I never see anyone else using one unless they are only playing classical music.

I know it's ment to play classical, but I just like the sound of the strings more, and the size of the neck.

So does anyone here use nylon stringed guitars not for classical music? Or am I the only one?!

Yes, I prefer the warmer sound of the nylon strings and it's easier for classical and fingerpicking. Some chords shapes are difficult for me because of the wider fingerboard and my small hands.

Bass notes are fuller

I have a classical guitar, and my husband has a steel string acoustic guitar. I think the nylon string classical guitar has louder, fuller sounding bass strings. All the steel string acoustic guitars I have tried have duller sounding bass strings, especially the #6 E string. The string feels very stiff and unresponsive. The acoustic guitar has a longer neck, and more frets.

Take a look at Willie Nelson's guitar. He has a beat up nylon string guitar that's pretty famous.

And, of course, the sound is different on the nylon strings... more rounded and mellow verses the bright metallic sound of a steel string acoustic.

I think you should use whatever you want to. Anything goes. After all, didn't I see Sting playing a lute???
–Lori

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.4 KB · Views: 86
When I was young folk guitars were popular. There were usually strung with nylon with a "normal" neck. I spent many a formative hour playing along with Laura Weber on the PBS channel singing "Little Boxes" and the like.

I do like the wider classical guitar neck for "serious" music. Sometimes you just need some room.

I do.

It's not just for classical music. It's good for folk too.

I have both kinds, but when I want to play guitar, I usually reach for the nylon-string. I like the sound better.

So does anyone here use nylon stringed guitars not for classical music? Or am I the only one?!
I use it for slack key sometimes...I know Ozzie Kotani does too.

Moving to Nylon in my next purchase... I've pretty much had enough of steel after learning the uke.

I miss the full range of scale from time to time, but not the string tension and niose. Nylon for me next purchase without a doubt.

I prefer it. Wish I had one. Tom Morello plays a nylon strin as The Nightwatchman. Great protest music.. although he tries a little hard to be Bob Dylan, it is the kind of music I would play on it.

I'd love to own a nylon-string. Not a classical player at all, and the huge flat neck is a little tough for me. But I played a Cordoba Fusion thinline a couple weeks ago and it felt like a big baritone uke. So comfortable to play!
Seems like Jason Mraz only plays nylon-string Taylors in concert.

I use nylon strings for hawaiian slack key. it's a lot easier on the fingers, especially since slack key involves a lot of sliding. since it's a lot of picking, I find nylon carries the sound much better than steel strings. But I don't care for it too much for standard chord playing.

Steel string guitars are better for what I do, so, a lot depends on what you play, or in my case, the songs I write. I am playing songs that are lyrical in nature, not instrumental.

I have thought about buying a classical guitar with a thin neck, but, there are very few and I don't like 95 percent of those classical guitars that I have played. I am giving the one I have away to a friend that wants one, actually.

Steel string guitar necks are completely different and much more comfortable for me.

I do play all sorts of ukuleles, though, and I am very fond of baritones. I have concerts, sopranos, and baritones. At this point, I don't own any tenors, but that is destined to change. I have played a boatload of them, just never acquired one to call my own. I do like the higher string tension.

For some reason I really like to play nylon when I'm making up a song. Then later i'll decide whether to transfer it to steel string acoustic or my electric (or keep it as is) when I've settled on a tune. Some songs lend themself to a particular guitar obviously.

I think they can have a real nice, almost fun, sound. They're always an enjoyable play.

There are many examples in pop music and other genres such as flamenco and other South American styles where synthetic string guitars are featured prominently. I sometimes meet with people for acoustic jams (Celtic music) where we have one guitar player who is classically trained and he brings his classic guitar.

I am not sure if the term nylon string guitar is still applicable as those guitars have used other materials long before they were used on ukulele, though I think many still prefer the good old nylon strings while advanced players rave about Aquila Rubio.

Wonder if there are new opinion for this topic?
I have two nylon string guitars (sorry Merlin666 but old names die hard, lol) and I enjoy the sound of them for a change in tone. It’s kind like playing a large baritone ukulele with two extra strings. I know, I know……it’s not really like that but close enough

I really like the thin feel of steel strings, so my nylon string just sits in a closet, sulking. Uke strings feel thin enough for me to enjoy or I'd be one of those people looking for steel string uke. (although I do play a mini electric guitar tuned A-a, so maybe I am that guy)

I use my "nylon" string guitars for basically every style I play, albeit I certainly play classical guitar a lot.

Yeah, labels are tricky. I'm old enough to remember many people referring to this type of guitar as gut-string guitar and Spanish guitar. I haven't used a pure set of nylon strings for decades. My bass strings use composite polymer thread cores rather than nylon (or silk). The G string is polycarbonate. But I prefer actual nylon over polycarbonate for the first and second strings due to the better vibrato response and sweeter tone. Many of my friends have no nylon strings on their classical guitars: all polycarbonate and/or composite polymer strings. And then there's the strange Thomastik-Infeld hybrid strings for classical guitar with a metal core covered in nylon. Gives the classical guitar a strange piano-like tone with long sustain and increased volume. I hate them but other others, especially double top players, swear by them.

Top Bottom