FS: New Baritone Uke/ Tenor Guitar by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
This is a new Baritone Uke/ Tenor Guitar. I made the top for an instrument many years ago thinking it was for a commission of a Mexican instrument called a Vihuela. That deal fell through and the top sat there for years, so I decided to make a Baritone Uke/ Tenor guitar with this top. The scale length is 21.25". The rosette is larger than normal because the Vihuela design called for it. The wood used for the rosette is Imbuya burl. The top is Sitka spruce. The back and sides are Indian rosewood. The neck is colorful Mango with a graphite truss rod for lifelong strength and stability. The fingerboard, bridge and head plate are rosewood. The bindings are Mahogany. The nut and bridge saddle are polished bone. The bridge is a design that can be used one of three ways; a string through type, a classical tie-block type, or a combination of a string through wraped around the tie-block, which is shown in the photos. The fret dots are MOP, white side dots are included. The frets are slightly larger than standard for easier playing. There are 12 frets to the body, 18 total. The geared 16:1 ratio tuners are Grover brand. The finish is nitrocellulose high gloss lacquer finished to a semi-gloss smooth satin touch. The strings are D'Addario Pro Arte' classical guitar and work very well for this standard DGBE tuning. Please note: Steel strings can not be used for this instrument. The playing action is low and easy with accurate intonation. Even though most spruce top ukes have a brighter sound, this uke/guitar has a very full rich mellower sound with clear ringing highs and excellent volume and sustain. Your complete satisfaction is guaranteed. Limited Lifetime Warranty to the original owner. No case, but I will double box for safe and secure shipping. Made in the USA by Black Bear Guitars and Ukes. $45 shipping in the USA lower 48 states. Payment by money order, personal check or bank draft only, no Paypal. Email me if you need more information. Thanks for lookiing.

$950

Attachments

• 2016-1-28 Baritone uke-a.jpg
    2016-1-28 Baritone uke-a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 2016-1-28 Baritone uke-b.jpg
    2016-1-28 Baritone uke-b.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 2016-1-28 Baritone uke-d.jpg
    2016-1-28 Baritone uke-d.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 2016-1-28 Baritone uke-e.jpg
    2016-1-28 Baritone uke-e.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Here are a few more dimensions for the uke/guitar. The nut width is 1 3/8", the total length from top to bottom is 31 5/8", body length is 15 3/4", body width upper bout is 8 1/4". lower bout is 11 1/2", body depth is 2 1/2" to 3". Scale length is 21 1/4". I will install a bottom strap button if the purchaser should want it.

Wow! Pretty instrument! If I didn't already have a Black Bear steel string tenor guitar, I might be all over this! My Black Bear is extremely well-made and fun to play, and it sounds great! Good luck with this one!

Last time through the loop. You can find this uke and others on my web site. Thanks for looking

I recently changed out the strings on this guitar. As the strings settled in, I wasn't happy with the sound of the 2nd and 3rd strings, which seemed to thick and heavy. I removed the 1st, 2nd and 3rs strings ( left on the classical 4th string) put on some Worth brand medium clear tenor uke strings. Since the Worth strings are longer, normally two sets, these string were long enough for the 21 1/4" scale length. The sound now is much better, very clear voice and sustain. Definitely more guitar like sound than uke, but very pleasing.

If you have a similar instrument scale wise, you might give it a try.

Top Bottom