E string sounds "wavy"

DarthVader

Reaction score
I did post this at Center Stage Ukulele Academy as well since I got a subscription for Christmas, but this forum seems much more active. So....

Just as the title says, when the E string is played it sounds a bit “wavy” similar to the way two strings played together sound that are almost in tune. It seems to be exacerbated when chords are actually being played. For example, when I fret the E string to play an F chord the E string sounds even more “wavy.” This happens even when the string is strum all by itself. And just in cast you were wondering, yes the tuner does indicate that it is in tune. I will also note that on my uke the E string does come out of tune rather quickly, it must be tuned before every session and sometimes during if I play for an hour or so.

I am a beginner so I’m not sure if this is normal and if not what if anything can be done. Any advice would be great, thanks in advance!

Do you tune the uke to itself? Ie. 4th string G fret at second fret = 1st string open A.
2nd string E fifth fret =1st
3rd string 4th fret =2nd string open E.
These may show a cent flat or sharp according to the tuner. This can help compensate for frets slightly out of true.
Are the strings new? they need time to settle in. Check string is securely fastened to the tuner post. Also try rubbing a soft pencil tip across the nut and bridge slots as strings can sometimes bind at these spots.

Hmmm, I don't totally follow what you mean by tune the uke itself so I am going to venture that I have not. I tuned it according to my tuner with the strings open, I don't think that is what you mean though. I will consult the google machine for additional info. The strings are new-ish, I probably have 15 hours on them. I will check the slots and posts as well, thank you. It is an odd sound, kind of like a chord bend but more subtle.

Hmmm, I don't totally follow what you mean by tune the uke itself so I am going to venture that I have not. I tuned it according to my tuner with the strings open, I don't think that is what you mean though. I will consult the google machine for additional info. The strings are new-ish, I probably have 15 hours on them. I will check the slots and posts as well, thank you. It is an odd sound, kind of like a chord bend but more subtle.

He meant fret the C string at the fourth fret and pluck the C(4) and E(0) together to listen to see if they are in tune with each other. It's a pre-electronic method.:eek:ld:

Hahaha I got it now - I think that is more like the "I'm an actual musician and know what I'm doing method!!" I'm going to try it tonight and see - I will report back. Thanks for your help guys!

Back the tension all the way off on that one tuner so the string is a bit slack. Now grab the E string tuner post and give it a good waggle back and forth (technical term) to make sure it is not loose. If it moves or rattles around tighten every screw on it.

Check to make sure the string is coming from the middle of the headstock to the tuner and there is only 3 or 4 wraps from the post hole moving downward toward the headstock, not up the post

And the prize goes to DOWNUPDAVE! Thank you sir! They were all loose actually, every string. The whole of the instrument holds a tune better and I think sounds a bit better. But that could be because I have been drinking beer and playing for 3 hours.

Thanks all!!

And the prize goes to DOWNUPDAVE! Thank you sir! They were all loose actually, every string. The whole of the instrument holds a tune better and I think sounds a bit better. But that could be because I have been drinking beer and playing for 3 hours.

Thanks all!!

Excellent, glad it worked out. There is only one tning better than drinking beer and playing for 3 hours. That is drinking beer and playing for 4 hours :cheers:

Top Bottom