Problems with A string on Southcoast LML-WB

Mxyzptik

Reaction score
About two months back I switched from my low g Living Waters to a set of Southcoast LML-WB on my Collings UT2, just for a change. I liked the Living Waters but tired of the thudding sound of the low g.

At first I really liked the news Southcoast strings, they were a little tougher on my fingertips than the flouros but I really liked the sound, especially the wound basses.

After settling in the A string just seemed to get worse and worse, it's tinny and shrill and doesn't resonate at all. Moving up the fretboard the intonation is off as well. I almost wince when I strike it. It sounds a little better amplified than acoustic if you play softly but it kind of has become all I hear now.

Any suggestions ?

Replace it. Could be a bad string.

I prefer Worth Clear and Oasis Bright or Warm.

I like the tension and gauge better.

Try contacting Dirk at Southcoast. He should have a solution or possibly explain or narrow the problem.

:agree: Dirk will take very good care of you. I once got a set that needed a different A string which he replaced immediately with one of a slightly larger diameter.

You probably just need a little heavier A string. As others have said, Dirk can probably recommend one of his thicker ones.

John

You probably just need a little heavier A string. As others have said, Dirk can probably recommend one of his thicker ones.

John

Yea I have found these light gauge A strings can sometimes get too stretched out on a tenor length scale. Even medium gauge can sound a bit "off" on a tenor.

Last edited:
That's surprising, I bet you got a bad string. I'm a huge fan of Southeast strings. I have the LML-WB set on a Kanile'a super tenor with a 19-inch neck, and no issues at all with the A string, so seems unlikely it would stretch on a normal 17-inch tenor scale....

I'd email Dirk. No sense talking to us when the guy who makes the strings is so incredibly friendly and helpful. :)

CORRECTED post to say I'm using the LML-WB... (which, by the way, there's a newer formula.... version 1.5.)

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice, I'll email Dirk. I will say I love the sound and feel from the rest of the set it's just the A string.

Last edited:
Top Bottom