PDA

View Full Version : NUD: Bari's

wildfire070
01-30-2016, 08:57 AM
I started out with a concert uke, then switched over to soprano and sopraninos, which I adore. I was happy with the smaller scale and liked it much better than concert, but still felt like something was missing. I thought maybe it's that deeper resonance that I'm looking for and unable to find in the smaller scales, so I tried tenor.....I hated it. I made the assumption that if I can't stand the tenor size then no way will I like baritone and dismissed them altogether and have stayed with my soprano/sopranino scale for the past couple of years.

Just recently I've been playing around with different tunings and was intrigued by the DGBE tuning. But I just couldn't get it to work on smaller scales so I decided to bite the bullet and give the baritone a try. Wow! I'm in love! It sounds so rich and lush and full! Why did I wait so long to try it??

I took a huge risk getting my first baritone. I hadn't played one before so I didn't know if I would like it or not. And on top of that...I skipped over the entry level and mid-range ones...and went straight to a Mya-Moe. Crazy, I know. Fortunately it paid off because I love the thing! I have it in Bb tuning and it just sings.

And while I was at it, Hodge's thread comparing a Favilla and a Silvertone inspired me to search for a vintage. I didn't get a Favilla but I did find a Silvertone in really good condition. All it needed was a polish.

Both bari's arrived within a day of each other and I haven't been able to put them down. I'm really glad I made this leap.

DownUpDave
01-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Ok I am gobsmacked and speechless. Is the Mya Moe used. ......it is gorgeous so is the Silvertone. I have baritone envy, congrats. No wonder you love baritone now with those two beauties

wildfire070
01-30-2016, 09:56 AM
I lucked out and found a used Mya-Moe. It was made less than a year ago and in pretty much new condition. I couldn't resist of course.

Camsuke
01-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Congratulations Wildfire070, enjoy!

Derecola
01-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Wow I want one also.

Nickie
01-30-2016, 05:13 PM
Congrats on both your new baris!

sam13
01-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Very sweet. I think you have made great decisions and wish you many more hours of Bari love.

Doc_J
01-31-2016, 02:44 AM
I'm so happy you found two really nice Bari's! Congratulations!

Derecola
02-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Was that the May moe from eBay?

wildfire070
02-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Yup it was. I haven't seen many used Mya-Moe baritones on sale so I took a chance on it with the thought that if I didn't like it, I could always sell it but luckily it worked out and I love the thing. I see a Kanile'a baritone on eBay but I haven't played one before so I'm not sure if that one would be a good one to jump on or not. It's pretty though.

DownUpDave
02-03-2016, 12:31 PM
We need more pictures of the Mya Moe. On measely little picture is an insult to the fine people at Mya Moe..........did I make you guilty enough for more pictures :biglaugh:

Trader Todd
02-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Wow! Congrats on the new baritones. Happy Strumming!

hollisdwyer
02-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Congratulations. Two very nice looking instruments that have obviously made you very Happy. That MM's bear claw is gorgeous!

UkeCripple
02-03-2016, 01:31 PM
Hi
i Can totally understand why you got baritones i have one too and love them allthough i cant afford a mya moe but im happy with Mine
good luck with your Baris

wildfire070
02-03-2016, 05:40 PM
We need more pictures of the Mya Moe. On measely little picture is an insult to the fine people at Mya Moe..........did I make you guilty enough for more pictures :biglaugh:

Lol. It's night time over here and interior lighting isn't great for photos so I'll just post some pics from Mya-Moe and the original listing for the uke.

wildfire070
02-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Just found another one! A late 70's Giannini bari in awesome shape. I've heard a lot of great things about Giannini baritones so I can't wait to get some strings on it and try it out.

DownUpDave
02-22-2016, 04:37 PM
Just found another one! A late 70's Giannini bari in awesome shape. I've heard a lot of great things about Giannini baritones so I can't wait to get some strings on it and try it out.

Oh my...........somebody has baritone fever. I have a older Giannini baritone as well. Mines beat up but it sounds and plays great. Enjoy the new acquisition