Evolution of Ukulele Music

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Are there any books, blogs, or other sources for a history of the evolution of ukulele music? (Not a history of the ukulele itself, but of the music played on a ukulele.)

I'm not sure of the beginnings, but there must be some key individuals who have helped the music evolve over the many years.

How did we get from the early days of ukulele music to James Hill doing an electric version of Jimi Hendrix's music? While Jake was my introduction to ukulele, who influenced him? How did the music change over the years, and what role did key individuals play in these changes?

While Jake was my introduction to ukulele, who influenced him? How did the music change over the years, and what role did key individuals play in these changes?

I've seen an interview in which Jake named Van Halen as an influence - I think it was in this documentary, which used to be viewable online for free but I can't seem to find a link today.

hmgberg probably mentioned the two most comprehensive sources out there. A bit on the lighter side, this book by Jim Beloff touches on the key milestones with a bit less detail.

And you'll get some history and chronology in the excellent documentary The Mighty Uke, which explains a bit about James Hill and the ukulele in Canadian schools.

Thanks. Interesting about Van Halen. I was thinking too narrowly, but of course, he likely was influenced by those who play other instruments as well.

I have watched The Mighty Uke, but will follow up on the other sources, (and maybe watch The Mighty Uke again, since it was enjoyable.)

My copy of The Ukulele: A History just arrived, and it looks even more interesting than I expected! Thanks for the recommendation.

Top Bottom