UK belt/disc sanders

mikeyb2

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of adding a combo disc/belt sander to my workshop and was wondering whether a 6inch disc would be adequate for most luthiery type needs. There are some with larger discs maybe 8 or 9 inch but they don't get such great reviews.The 4inch belts I feel would be perfectly ok. I have limited space for one so it would have to be a bench top type. Any thoughts? Thanks Mike.

I use a 8" combo. It's not a flash machine, but it does what I need. I actually use the disk far more than the belt, and if I upgrade I'll probably go for a 12 or 15" disk only.

I 'upgraded' from a 4inch combo to a 12" disk.
certainly a good choice for me, I can't work out how I managed before! Wish I had done it earlier.

At times, I do miss the belt sander though, there are 1-2 jobs that I'd like to use it for. For now, good sandpaper on a flat board does the trick.

Hi Mike. I have the Draper 8" disc / 4" belt combo (typical of the generic brands available in the UK) and whilst the disc does the work I need for ukuleles (mainly squaring off the end of the neck blank) it is only just big enough. The second issue is the table, which although it can be set up square, flexes too easily - hence you have to be very gentle with it to get square results. The mitre slot & guide also needed shimming to get repeatable results.

If you can manage without the belt, then I would follow Pete & Kevs advice.

Personally, I need the belt for other uses, otherwise I would have upgraded by now.

Thanks everyone, your replies are not what I expected in terms of which would be more useful, the belt or disc. I thought the belt might be more useful with the disc only getting occasional use, but your replies suggest otherwise. Food for thought, ta. Mike
Pete, Axminster don't seem to do a hobby 10" but have a 12" on backorder. It doesn't have great reviews.

Mike - FWIW I thought the same when I bought the combo machine a few years ago. I was actually quite scared to use the disc! However, after a course with Pete I realised how useful the disc could be, and which jobs it excels at. Now I rarely use the belt in instrument work!
I do most of my "flat" sanding by hand on sanding boards. Not easy to find in the UK (I got mine from a classic vehicle restoration supplier) but a Portugese company make very good self adhesive abrasive paper called "Rhynostick" available in rolls and a good range of grades. Coupled with good quality flat MDF or ply it makes excellent boards.

Last edited:
Mike - FWIW I thought the same when I bought the combo machine a few years ago. I was actually quite scared to use the disc! However, after a course with Pete I realised how useful the disc could be, and which jobs it excels at. Now I rarely use the belt in instrument work!
I do most of my "flat" sanding by hand on sanding boards. Not easy to find in the UK (I got mine from a classic vehicle restoration supplier) but a Portugese company make very good self adhesive abrasive paper called "Rhynostick" available in rolls and a good range of grades. Coupled with good quality flat MDF or ply it makes excellent boards.
thanks Paul, I do have a sanding board made from a large marble tile with three strips of paper attached, 80,120,180 grits which works well for the necks and fingerboards I've made for banjos and cigar box guitars.
Incidentally, what grit disc paper do you use for general use? From what I've read about being a PITA to change, I guess you don't change them very often and settle on one for everyday use . Mike

I 'upgraded' from a 4inch combo to a 12" disk.
certainly a good choice for me, I can't work out how I managed before! Wish I had done it earlier.

At times, I do miss the belt sander though, there are 1-2 jobs that I'd like to use it for. For now, good sandpaper on a flat board does the trick.

Just for interest, I purchased a the 12inch Record Power disk sander from Amazon.
I purchased it from their ‘Market place’ : A returned item at around 60% price! (perfect unused condition!)

Although I love Axminster, it is certainly worth checking other resources for that ‘bargain’!

Good luck!

thanks Paul, I do have a sanding board made from a large marble tile with three strips of paper attached, 80,120,180 grits which works well for the necks and fingerboards I've made for banjos and cigar box guitars.
Incidentally, what grit disc paper do you use for general use? From what I've read about being a PITA to change, I guess you don't change them very often and settle on one for everyday use . Mike

Mike - I settled on 100 grit on the disc sander as the best all round compromise. The discs are self-adhesive, and it is not like a drum or belt sander where you can easily switch grades and re-use the abrasive.

Top Bottom