PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day - Talsma Custom 3M Concert

WCBarnes
02-01-2016, 01:33 PM
When I first started playing the ukulele the music store where my daughter was taking drum lessons had a vintage Martin style 3 on display. I was taken with how simple and elegant the design was. I knew I wanted one. As I advanced in my playing and began to figure out that the concert scale was my preferred scale length. This would make finding a vintage style 3 in my preferred size rather difficult.

About a year and a half ago RichM posted a NUD for a custom Talsma 3K he just received. It was absolutely stunning! And a concert size no less! After reading his post and doing a little further research I reached out to Dave. I found him very easy to communicate with and his vintage replicas are second to none. I had to re-prioritize my spending, but at least now I had a direction/goal. This past October I placed the order and then the hard part... waiting! The wait ended on Friday and I was presented with the most beautiful uke I have ever seen! Dave nailed it and I couldn't be happier! The sound is wonderful and it is a dream to play. I will do a more in-depth review after I have had some time to really get to know it.

NYDCLA
02-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Stunning! Congratulations

RichM
02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Wonderful! I'm glad my uke inspired you to get one of your own. Dave does beautiful work (and I envy your one piece top!). Play it in good health!

Camsuke
02-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Congratulations, very elegant & beautiful.

sam13
02-01-2016, 04:18 PM
Fabulous. Congrats.

steve-o-reno
02-01-2016, 04:25 PM
Gorgeous! You're a lucky guy! I have one of Dave's ukes and it's a wonderful instrument.

lunagraphy
02-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Gorgeous!!! AWESOME!!!

sukie
02-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Wow. That's pretty.
I was lucky in that I got to try a Talsma once. It had a lovely sound.

consitter
02-01-2016, 06:49 PM
Beautiful. You ought to post a video playing it.

Nickie
02-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Wow! Congrats! I didn't know he could replicate like that. Now I want one.:drool:

Ukulele Eddie
02-02-2016, 02:41 AM
Congratulations! Such an elegant instrument. And if you ordered it in October, that is a super short wait for an instrument of that quality. Many custom builders have waits of 8-12+ months.

DownUpDave
02-02-2016, 12:59 PM
Man that is pure tophat and tails.......very classy looking. Congratulations on an outstanding instrument, the wait was obviously worth it

stevepetergal
02-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Congratulations. Dave's work is as good as anyone's. Big fan, here.

MDL
02-02-2016, 04:19 PM
What a beautiful 'ukulele. Enjoy!

natchez
02-03-2016, 02:18 AM
Congrats- what a looker! Enjoy!

UkerDanno
02-03-2016, 03:15 AM
Wow! Congrats! I didn't know he could replicate like that. Now I want one.:drool:

yeah, me too!

OMG, I see he makes a koa Taropatch, too!
http://davetalsma.com/taro-patch-ukulele/

WCBarnes
02-03-2016, 03:23 AM
Thanks for all the compliments! Dave does an amazing job! I haven't been able to put it down since it got here! It is currently strung with Freemonts. This is my first experience with them and I am not quite sure what I think yet... I will keep them on there for a month or so before I decide.

Beautiful. You ought to post a video playing it.

I am planning on putting something up soon.

That was me when I first saw RichM (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?99702-New-Uke-Day-Dave-Talsma-Custom-3K-Concert&highlight=talsma) and MattyDee's (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?78171-New-Uke-Day-Talsma-Custom!&highlight=talsma) Talsmas! I knew I had to have one!!!

Congratulations! Such an elegant instrument. And if you ordered it in October, that is a super short wait for an instrument of that quality. Many custom builders have waits of 8-12+ months.

I was shocked too Eddie! I was expecting a year or so wait. I contacted him in July or August and he said he didn't build in the summer and to contact him in September. I was out of the country in September and reached out when I got back in October and he was ready to start!

Wonderful! I'm glad my uke inspired you to get one of your own. Dave does beautiful work (and I envy your one piece top!). Play it in good health!

I was very happy with the one piece top! Thanks again Rich! If it wasn't for your post I wouldn't have this wonderful ukulele!

WCBarnes
02-03-2016, 03:25 AM
yeah, me too!

OMG, I see he makes a koa Taropatch, too!
http://davetalsma.com/taro-patch-ukulele/

That one is next on my list! (But I think I will just sit and enjoy my current beauty first! :D )

brimmer
02-03-2016, 09:05 AM
Lovely uke, congrats. Those Talsma ukes always look amazing. Enjoy it.

pluck
02-03-2016, 09:30 AM
Fantastic uke. I want. What's up with that bridge? It doesn't look like a slot, tie or pegged. It looks nice though.

Bill Sheehan
02-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Wow! Very nice! I like the "string-thru" bridge, too! Congrats!

Cassie
02-03-2016, 10:56 AM
When I first started playing the ukulele the music store where my daughter was taking drum lessons had a vintage Martin style 3 on display. I was taken with how simple and elegant the design was. I knew I wanted one. As I advanced in my playing and began to figure out that the concert scale was my preferred scale length. This would make finding a vintage style 3 in my preferred size rather difficult.

About a year and a half ago RichM posted a NUD for a custom Talsma 3K he just received. It was absolutely stunning! And a concert size no less! After reading his post and doing a little further research I reached out to Dave. I found him very easy to communicate with and his vintage replicas are second to none. I had to re-prioritize my spending, but at least now I had a direction/goal. This past October I placed the order and then the hard part... waiting! The wait ended on Friday and I was presented with the most beautiful uke I have ever seen! Dave nailed it and I couldn't be happier! The sound is wonderful and it is a dream to play. I will do a more in-depth review after I have had some time to really get to know it.

That's Awesome! I always wanted a Kala and now I got one. I got mine as an early Christmas gift. I'm so glad you got the one you wanted so badly.
Injoy.
Cassie

dsummers
02-03-2016, 12:17 PM
Looks beautiful! If your's is anything like my concert size Vita style you are going to love it. Seems like the only limitation to a Talsma custom ukulele build is your limited to your own imagination.

WCBarnes
02-03-2016, 12:48 PM
Fantastic uke. I want. What's up with that bridge? It doesn't look like a slot, tie or pegged. It looks nice though.

Wow! Very nice! I like the "string-thru" bridge, too! Congrats!

What Bill said. The string-through bridges are very nice. This is the third uke I have with one (Bonanza and Ono are the others).