The Pineapple Patch

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
Aloha, Just started a social group called the Pineapple Patch for lovers of the classic Pineapple Ukulele. E komo mai!
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/group.php?groupid=37
P1010168-1.jpg

P1010171.jpg

Last edited:
Great comparison video. I don't know the cost of the two ukes, but I bet the Pwno was more expensive. I thought they sounded close enough to not merit paying the extra bucks for the beautiful spalted whatever wood that Pwno has. But garsh, it's purty!

Thanks for the comparison video. I like the looks of the Pono, but I like the sound of the Mele with the old Worths better than the Pono. Mele/Pono? Mahogany/Mango? Decision, decisions . . .

Last edited:
Great comparison video. I don't know the cost of the two ukes, but I bet the Pwno was more expensive. I thought they sounded close enough to not merit paying the extra bucks for the beautiful spalted whatever wood that Pwno has. But garsh, it's purty!

The Pwno is Mango and costs $150 more but it came witha Ko'olau case and the Mele didn't. MGM also threw in one of those cool Pub Probs he discovered on his Germany trip.

The Pwno is Mango and costs $150 more but it came witha Ko'olau case and the Mele didn't. MGM also threw in one of those cool Pub Probs he discovered on his Germany trip.

Well, then, I'd pay the extra 150. Of course it's mango - you said it in the video! Time to go home, i think!:eek:

Forgot to add, the finish on the Pono is immaculate and perfect. It's like they dipped it in plastic whereas the Mele, you could definitely tell it was hand made. I do like the Mele because of the "character". I am sure I will be customizing the Pono with some character marks soon.

Thanks for the comparison video. I like the looks of the Pono, but I like the sound of the Mele with the old Worths better than the Pono. Mele/Pono? Mahogany/Mango? Decision, decisions . . .

Just goes to show you about personal preference....I thought the Pono looked and sounded better....but that's just me.

I wonder how much of the sound difference can be attributed to the strings?

Top Bottom