Pay it forward, and the place I did.

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
I'm hoping this is a good forum to make this post. If this is a violation of rules, please let me know.

I've been a member of The CC Strummers ukulele seniors group out of the Culver City Senior Center since August of 2013. I started playing ukulele only a few weeks before, and bass uke a couple years later. It's a great group of people all having a lot of fun learning and playing the uke twice a week.

With my computer knowledge, I started recording each song during our sessions and posting the audio on one of my web pages so everyone could practice at home. I also taught our leader Cali Rose how to create the lead sheets she provides for us using a Macintosh graphics design program. I also designed and print a cover sheet for everyone to put on the front of their music binders when we perform. From time to time someone will have a computer question and I answer as best as I can.

Last Thursday, one the guys got up and made an announcement. A couple days before, they had passed around a thank you card for everyone to sign and contribute cash, $187... to me! I was very surprised. It was rather awkward because what I do is for the betterment of the group and it's great fun for me, I honestly don't want anything in return.

I accepted it, but only because I told them that I would donate the money to charity. One of the members told me about the Ukulele Kids Club that provides ukuleles to hospitals for their music therapy programs for children.

That evening I got online and made the donation, making it an even $200. I have to say, Corey Bergman the founder, was extremely happy. So much so that he asked if we would like to be the organization's Los Angeles representatives to hospitals in the area. The first one is the UCLA Medical Center Mattel Children's Wing. He's going to arrange for us to present 5 ukuleles to their program and also perform for the patients.

This is one of the most worthwhile organizations I've seen in a long time. I told Corey he needs to sign up to the Ukulele Underground so he can keep us all informed in Shameless Self Promotion and help with the program where we can.

The web site is https://theukc.org and Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/UkuleleKidsClubInc?_rdr=p.

Last edited:
Another hospital using ukuleles for healing is the Arkansas Childrens Hospital in Little Rock Ar. In 2015, they formally added a program for music therapy and have been having tremendous success with ukuleles and other smaller size instruments to help the young patient"s rehabilitation. I have toured the facility and seen first hand the smiles that these user friendly instruments can bring to the faces of these little troupers under going treatment for catastrophic diseases. If you go visit, be sure to take plenty of Kleenex with you. What a great way to pay it forward.

Anyone wanting to learn more about the program or to donate an "excess" ukulele can contact a hospital representative at DuttonKG@archildrens.org.

Great job Mike! Using what you know to help others is wonderful and kind. And it seems to have led you to others that could use some kindness.

The world would be a better place if we all took care of each other, like Mike!

Well done! When I retire later this year, doing something similar might be the community service activity that I have been looking for.

Awesome. Wish we had more things like that in my area.

Good job, Mike! Ukulele groups shouldn't be about money...

here's a link...
https://theukc.org/

Last edited:
That was beautiful of you, Mike! Thank you for doing this and sharing!

Thanks everyone, you give me a great feeling of gratification.

Great story, Mike. I think it's wonderful that you have found a ukulele group that is such a good fit for you! :)

Thanks J, though I still feel bad about giving up on the WUE. I run into Delia and she has suggested I come back and play bass to free up... oh, I forgot her name who plays bass now, to play low G parts.

Last edited:
Thanks J, though I still feel bad about giving up on the WUA. I run into Delia and she has suggested I come back and play bass to free up... oh, I forgot her name who plays bass now, to play low G parts.

I'm not even sure any more who is doing what with WUE - I think it's been well over a year since I've participated. One ukulele ensemble that does just a single performance a year is just about all I can handle! :)

Spreading joy through music! Great stuff!

Great post, Mike!

I've been following the UKC on FB for some time now and they are a fantastic organization. As the daddy of a special needs child that has spent many weeks in the hospital, I can tell you things like this make an enormous difference to the kids and their families.

Thank you.

Scooter

Time to followup on this thread. The other day I realized I should add The UKC link to my signature, which I told Corey. He was very pleased and also informed me that since his talk on TED, interest in The UKC has jumped, with another 100 hospitals wanting to be involved. With that, Corey realized he's going to need corporate sponsorship to meet the demand, so he asked me to help put out the word anywhere and everywhere for people who can provide sponsorship, or knows someone or a company who can. He says to just give the potential sponsor The UKC web link and it will speak for itself.

The Ukulele Kids club (theukc.org)
Sponsor page

Last edited:
Wonderful of your Group! Wonderful of You! Wonderful all the way around!!!

Top Bottom