Hard case for Tenor 8

SallyS

Reaction score
I just splurged on an awesome uke, but having little luck finding a case for it. She is long, headstock is adding to length, and most cases stop short. She is also a bit arched on back, so her depth is affecting the fit in piece of junk shipped in, too much pressure on the bridge.

Seems at the moment the selection is slim and I have beaten the search functions up one side and down the other. The reviews are amazing and very helpful, big time, thanks for that info.

I have sent measurements to a few retailers, looking for a fit.
Ameritage will work, heavy though, rather not go custom, but will if have to. I noticed the custom makers lean towards modifying Mandolin cases, so then I dug around on that idea. Hiscox has a sharp case, but seriously do I need a case that much bigger than my instrument? Oy vey.....

If you play an 8, or a long neck, what do you have for a case?

I use a gig bag for mine, but I don't carry it around or store it much. Mostly it hangs on the wall when I'm not playing it.

I think all string instruments should come with a case or at least a gig bag when one buys them. I recently bought a banjo, and it came in a cardboard box. When one buys a trumpet or a flute it always comes with a case. Even my tuba came with a case.

Anyway, I actually prefer gig bags to cases for ukuleles. :eek:ld:

While I may appreciate the lightness of a gig bag now and then, all of my instruments live in hard cases. I have a fab bag for my hollow body guitar, used it once. Hard cases work best for this ol' hardcase. I simply don't consider anything else, lifestyle and other choices.

My uke did come with a hard case, my choice & for shipping I insisted, it cost me diddly and is worth what it cost.

I hear your pain. The right case is important for maintaining your instrument. My BR 8 string came in a hard tenor case from a company called Rockcase. I use a Kamoa fibreglass for it now but I've dug out the Rockcase and the internal centreline length is 28 inches. Hope this helps.
P.S. I purchased a 2nd hand Ameritage silver case for my upcoming Beau Hannam tenor. I guess we each decide how much protection we want to buy for any given instrument. And yes, the Ameritage cases are heavy. I have a custom version for my Boat Paddle ML tenor. I put the optional carry strap on that one which makes it much easier to carry.

Hollisdwyer, thanks! That interior of 28 is spot on, not bad case at all. All things considered the Ameritage is high on the list, weight not huge factor since I am used to guitar & case. They do look good, but I have been thinking about that fabric covering with fur, dirt and allergy junk.

How do you like that Kamoa fiberglass? I have them on "?" At the moment

You might try contacting Kamaka. They are one of the few manufacturers who sell their cases separately. I emailed them my custom uke's dimensions, they were quick to respond and shipped quickly. I find it a very nice case, arch top, very little bridge contact. My standard tenor has at least 2-3 inches of room in the headstock area. And since Kamaka makes an 8 string tenor it may be perfect?

My Kala KA-8 fits a little tight in the uke crazy tenor case but works well

Hollisdwyer, thanks! That interior of 28 is spot on, not bad case at all. All things considered the Ameritage is high on the list, weight not huge factor since I am used to guitar & case. They do look good, but I have been thinking about that fabric covering with fur, dirt and allergy junk.

How do you like that Kamoa fiberglass? I have them on "?" At the moment

Re furry interiors, I am a hay fever suffer but don't have problems with these types of case interiors. The only non furry interior case that I can think of is my Collings which has a grey fabric. Re the Kamoa case, love it. It came with my first custom Uke. I kept the case but ultimately passed the Uke on to a new owner. It seems quite strong, is very light and has backpack style straps. It tends to be my 'get on a plane case'. It's only failure, IMO, is the lask of an interior storage compartment. I don't know if they are still being made as they were expensive and Crossrock came out with clones that were much less expensive. I heard that the Crossrock fibreglass ones (I would never have an ABS one) have stopped production to allow a redesign to correct a design fault. Haven't checked this rumor out so it may be just BS.
If you want I'll send you some detail photos of my Rockcase when I get home from work. Remember I am 16 hours ahead of you though. Don't have a kanipshin, you'll find the right case for your little bubala.

Hollisdwyer, not the fur lining, but how cat hair sticks to fabric :)
No worries, The Ameritage is in the lead at the moment.

I have not contacted Kamoa, basically assumed the price and nature of construction were going to clash regarding durability. Glad to hear that yours is a fave, maybe I will shout to Kamoa and see what happens.
I sent measurements to several retailers, responses were confirming that I have an oddball.

I am picky and I ought to be used to this, none of my instruments fit 'standardʻ cases except for my concert.

Hollisdwyer, not the fur lining, but how cat hair sticks to fabric :)
No worries, The Ameritage is in the lead at the moment.

I have not contacted Kamoa, basically assumed the price and nature of construction were going to clash regarding durability. Glad to hear that yours is a fave, maybe I will shout to Kamoa and see what happens.
I sent measurements to several retailers, responses were confirming that I have an oddball.

I am picky and I ought to be used to this, none of my instruments fit 'standardʻ cases except for my concert.

Oddly it is only my Barron River 8 string that is in a 'standard case'. The Boat Paddle is in a custom by GWW (who make the Ameritage cases), my DaSilva Martin 3K repro is in a custom Fibreglass case and the Collings is in it's own OEM case that is amazingly tight (even with out a strap pin or pickup socket).

P.S. Re cats and Uke cases, we don't have any cats right now but if we did I am sure that they would be in those cases in a flash.

Kamaka has its own cases made for it, and Kamaka also makes an 8-string tenor. Kanile'a also makes an 8-string tenor, and it sells them in hard cases. I don't know the dimensions of your ukulele, but Kamaka and Kanile'a 8-string headstocks are pretty long. Maybe Kamaka or Kanile'a would sell you one of its 8-string tenor cases, or maybe someone with a Kamaka or Kanile'a 8-string tenor has found another case or gig bag for his or her uke and is looking to sell the original case.

Currently a bit torn, Ameritage does appear solid, but at that price two latches? Tuns out the Oahu will fit and Iʻm leaning that way to get the arch top and sve a few dollars.
I Canʻt begin to tell you how tired I am of searching dimensions, availability, etc.
Today I have to click the button.

Meanwhile, let it be known that my dog loves music, he curls up inside my open guitar case, but a Uke case is too small. He gives a dirty look to the miniscule size. The cat prefers her corner of the couch :)

Thanks everybody, most helpful responses.

You might have some luck looking into a higher end case like the carbon fiber case from Hoffee Cases. They take measurements from you and create a custom case. I know you said you'd rather stray away from custom cases, but I'm dying to get a case for the new ukulele I bought and I keep coming back to the idea of a custom carbon fiber case. Hope this helps and doesn't make your decision more difficult.

Hi. I had a similar issue—Kanile'a super tenor with a 19-inch neck—the upper bout is normal tenor size, while the lower bout is a half inch wider than your typical baritone. Needless to say she's an awkward fit in most cases.

I looked into all kinds off solutions, all the way down to a Hoffee custom case. But I began to realize there ain't much to the insides of hardshell cases... so I just bought an Oahu baritone case (thanks HMS!), ripped out the guts, and then rebuilt it with new foam and fabric. A lot easier than I expected. While I was at it, I lined top and bottom with Thinsulate, give it a bit more protection from temps in cars and planes. Still need to add the interior gear box lid tonight, but pretty much done. :)

2016-03-10.jpg2016-03-12-1.jpgIMG_3424.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 3.41.45 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 3.41.45 PM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 3.41.56 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 3.41.56 PM.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Top Bottom