Ugh, the wait!

futboljim

Reaction score
Just whining a little. Ordered a Pono cedar/Macassar tenor from HMS on 1/15, and it's still in setup... ugh!!! The wait is killing me!

For those of you who order customs, I have no idea how you do it. I have been playing the crap out pf my Lanikai monkey pod tenor, and enjoying it, but I think it is making me even more impatient, lol.

Sad, I'm 50 years old, and act like a kid, lol. I know the wait is worth it, and look forward to something next week!

Whining complete, for now.

I feel your pain. I ordered a uke from HMS on January 8 (KALA KA-SRT/MA), it finally shipped on January 29, and it's on the Fed Ex truck for delivery today! I'm like a kid waiting for Santa Claus to come! ;)

Congrats!

Well, I guess I can project that mine will be a week from today then, huh?

Enjoy yours, and early congrats!!!

Sad, I'm 50 years old, and act like a kid, lol.

To the contrary! That is not sad at all, that is fantastic. :) Isn't it a great, exhilarating trip that makes you feel really alive and eager? Embrace this feeling, and keep bouncing around -- from the deep seas of impatience to the mountain tops of anticipation!

Also sounds like you picked up something special there! Are there pictures from the HMS site?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Focus on all the way out things you are going to do with your new uke.

I ordered a custom, and it isn't due until August. I am kind of enjoying taking it out of it's virtual case, figuring out more of the configuration, and putting it back.

The uke will be here before you know it.

I know exactly how you feel, even with custom work I get impatient. I had a solid body bass uke modified by a guy near me, just cut down the horns, make a pickguard and refinish the head. Seven months later he barely started and finished only after I got on his case for about 2 weeks. It didn't come out great and I'll never go back to him again. I'm also waiting for a new solid body for another bass uke that's taking almost as long. The lesson I learned is to do the modifying myself and have Pat Wilkins near me do the finish work, he usually gets it done in 3-4 weeks.

So far, when I have ordered, it has only taken a day or two to arrive, but I have just ordered a(nother) new uke & it won't be coming until late this month - just as well I got a new mini amp to play around with today. :)

Just whining a little. Ordered a Pono cedar/Macassar tenor from HMS on 1/15, and it's still in setup... ugh!!! The wait is killing me!

For those of you who order customs, I have no idea how you do it. I have been playing the crap out pf my Lanikai monkey pod tenor, and enjoying it, but I think it is making me even more impatient, lol.

Sad, I'm 50 years old, and act like a kid, lol. I know the wait is worth it, and look forward to something next week!

Whining complete, for now.

Fantastic. Keep up that childlike enthusiasm. The wait is worth it. It'll be like a holiday morning when it arrives...

Look at the bright side: You'll soon have one of the most fantastic production ukes out there, and all the agonizing will be forgotten in a heartbeat, with years of enjoyment ahead of you. Congratulations on a great choice of uke, I love my Cedar/Ebony Pono.

To the contrary! That is not sad at all, that is fantastic. :) Isn't it a great, exhilarating trip that makes you feel really alive and eager? Embrace this feeling, and keep bouncing around -- from the deep seas of impatience to the mountain tops of anticipation!

Also sounds like you picked up something special there! Are there pictures from the HMS site?

lol, yup, love the feeling. My wife, though, thinks that I might be able to mature a little bit hehehe.

There are images on the HMS site, here is the link to the page can't wait til it arrives!

Not sure that this is my specific copy, but it is what is on their site:

Here is a frontal pono_etshc_154373-3.jpg
and the back pono_etshc_154373.jpg
and, finally, the slothead pono_etshc_154373-6.jpg

pretty excited to play this, and get a good look at it!

Attachments

• pono_etshc_154373-3.jpg
    pono_etshc_154373-3.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 86
Relax. Take a deep breath. Focus on all the way out things you are going to do with your new uke.

I ordered a custom, and it isn't due until August. I am kind of enjoying taking it out of it's virtual case, figuring out more of the configuration, and putting it back.

yeah, a little down time with my little girl and wife this morning, with a little play time before, took the edge off a little.

Now, though, a snowstorm is hitting - ALL I will have time for is to sit and home and drool over the pics and video of this thing!

Congrats on the new custom, you are more patient than me - not sure I could wait that long. I almost chose to do so for a guitar once, but changed my mind. I know myself too well!

I know exactly how you feel, even with custom work I get impatient. I had a solid body bass uke modified by a guy near me, just cut down the horns, make a pickguard and refinish the head. Seven months later he barely started and finished only after I got on his case for about 2 weeks. It didn't come out great and I'll never go back to him again. I'm also waiting for a new solid body for another bass uke that's taking almost as long. The lesson I learned is to do the modifying myself and have Pat Wilkins near me do the finish work, he usually gets it done in 3-4 weeks.

nightmare scenario for me. I'm with you, rather do it myself and be responsible for it - but then again, it is nice to have a go to guy if he is timely and good.

So far, when I have ordered, it has only taken a day or two to arrive, but I have just ordered a(nother) new uke & it won't be coming until late this month - just as well I got a new mini amp to play around with today. :)

this is my situation, too - have ordered a few guitars that took a couple of days, but never anything more than that. Early congrats on the new uke!

Fantastic. Keep up that childlike enthusiasm. The wait is worth it. It'll be like a holiday morning when it arrives...

just hoping that I do not feel ill the day it arrives - I would hate to miss work that day!

Look at the bright side: You'll soon have one of the most fantastic production ukes out there, and all the agonizing will be forgotten in a heartbeat, with years of enjoyment ahead of you. Congratulations on a great choice of uke, I love my Cedar/Ebony Pono.

thanks much - glad to hear you really like yours. I tried so hard to convince myself to go with a different one, but there was something about the sound of this on the HMS videos, in comparison to other B/S woods..... just had to do it. The wood combo makes tremendous sense to me, for what I am seeking. Reading that you enjoy yours helps ease that concern some, too, thanks.

I am in exactly the same boat - My Mya Moe tenor wil be ready in mid-August...its a long wait..

I love my cedar ebony Pono tenor as well. Others have been bought and sold but "Simone" has stayed the course. You will love it, more than worth the wait.

I am in the 19th month wait on a custom that is now in transit as we speak

How does Mim, who's a one woman operation, manage to send out ukes set up and ready to go within one business day? I understand that HMS is in Hawaii and I get that they also do setups, but 3 weeks from ordering a production uke to when they actually get to shipping it out seems a bit excessive to me.

Top Bottom