PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, the wait!

futboljim
02-02-2016, 04:09 AM
Just whining a little. Ordered a Pono cedar/Macassar tenor from HMS on 1/15, and it's still in setup... ugh!!! The wait is killing me!

For those of you who order customs, I have no idea how you do it. I have been playing the crap out pf my Lanikai monkey pod tenor, and enjoying it, but I think it is making me even more impatient, lol.

Sad, I'm 50 years old, and act like a kid, lol. I know the wait is worth it, and look forward to something next week!

Whining complete, for now.

Snargle
02-02-2016, 04:27 AM
I feel your pain. I ordered a uke from HMS on January 8 (KALA KA-SRT/MA), it finally shipped on January 29, and it's on the Fed Ex truck for delivery today! I'm like a kid waiting for Santa Claus to come! ;)

futboljim
02-02-2016, 04:44 AM
Congrats!

Well, I guess I can project that mine will be a week from today then, huh?

Enjoy yours, and early congrats!!!

Mivo
02-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Sad, I'm 50 years old, and act like a kid, lol.

To the contrary! That is not sad at all, that is fantastic. :) Isn't it a great, exhilarating trip that makes you feel really alive and eager? Embrace this feeling, and keep bouncing around -- from the deep seas of impatience to the mountain tops of anticipation!

Also sounds like you picked up something special there! Are there pictures from the HMS site?

greenie44
02-02-2016, 05:20 AM
Relax. Take a deep breath. Focus on all the way out things you are going to do with your new uke.

I ordered a custom, and it isn't due until August. I am kind of enjoying taking it out of it's virtual case, figuring out more of the configuration, and putting it back.

The uke will be here before you know it.

kohanmike
02-02-2016, 05:47 AM
I know exactly how you feel, even with custom work I get impatient. I had a solid body bass uke modified by a guy near me, just cut down the horns, make a pickguard and refinish the head. Seven months later he barely started and finished only after I got on his case for about 2 weeks. It didn't come out great and I'll never go back to him again. I'm also waiting for a new solid body for another bass uke that's taking almost as long. The lesson I learned is to do the modifying myself and have Pat Wilkins near me do the finish work, he usually gets it done in 3-4 weeks.

Croaky Keith
02-02-2016, 05:50 AM
So far, when I have ordered, it has only taken a day or two to arrive, but I have just ordered a(nother) new uke & it won't be coming until late this month - just as well I got a new mini amp to play around with today. :)

vanflynn
02-02-2016, 05:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

I feel your pain (been there!)

rappsy
02-02-2016, 05:53 AM
Just whining a little. Ordered a Pono cedar/Macassar tenor from HMS on 1/15, and it's still in setup... ugh!!! The wait is killing me!

For those of you who order customs, I have no idea how you do it. I have been playing the crap out pf my Lanikai monkey pod tenor, and enjoying it, but I think it is making me even more impatient, lol.

Sad, I'm 50 years old, and act like a kid, lol. I know the wait is worth it, and look forward to something next week!

Whining complete, for now.

Fantastic. Keep up that childlike enthusiasm. The wait is worth it. It'll be like a holiday morning when it arrives...

Rakelele
02-02-2016, 07:18 AM
Look at the bright side: You'll soon have one of the most fantastic production ukes out there, and all the agonizing will be forgotten in a heartbeat, with years of enjoyment ahead of you. Congratulations on a great choice of uke, I love my Cedar/Ebony Pono.

futboljim
02-02-2016, 07:47 AM
To the contrary! That is not sad at all, that is fantastic. :) Isn't it a great, exhilarating trip that makes you feel really alive and eager? Embrace this feeling, and keep bouncing around -- from the deep seas of impatience to the mountain tops of anticipation!

Also sounds like you picked up something special there! Are there pictures from the HMS site?

lol, yup, love the feeling. My wife, though, thinks that I might be able to mature a little bit hehehe.

There are images on the HMS site, here is the link to the page can't wait til it arrives! (http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-etshc-pc-cedar-macassar-slothead-cutaway.html)

Not sure that this is my specific copy, but it is what is on their site:

Here is a frontal 87965
and the back 87964
and, finally, the slothead 87966

pretty excited to play this, and get a good look at it!

futboljim
02-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Relax. Take a deep breath. Focus on all the way out things you are going to do with your new uke.

I ordered a custom, and it isn't due until August. I am kind of enjoying taking it out of it's virtual case, figuring out more of the configuration, and putting it back.

yeah, a little down time with my little girl and wife this morning, with a little play time before, took the edge off a little.

Now, though, a snowstorm is hitting - ALL I will have time for is to sit and home and drool over the pics and video of this thing!

Congrats on the new custom, you are more patient than me - not sure I could wait that long. I almost chose to do so for a guitar once, but changed my mind. I know myself too well!

futboljim
02-02-2016, 08:08 AM
I know exactly how you feel, even with custom work I get impatient. I had a solid body bass uke modified by a guy near me, just cut down the horns, make a pickguard and refinish the head. Seven months later he barely started and finished only after I got on his case for about 2 weeks. It didn't come out great and I'll never go back to him again. I'm also waiting for a new solid body for another bass uke that's taking almost as long. The lesson I learned is to do the modifying myself and have Pat Wilkins near me do the finish work, he usually gets it done in 3-4 weeks.

nightmare scenario for me. I'm with you, rather do it myself and be responsible for it - but then again, it is nice to have a go to guy if he is timely and good.

futboljim
02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
So far, when I have ordered, it has only taken a day or two to arrive, but I have just ordered a(nother) new uke & it won't be coming until late this month - just as well I got a new mini amp to play around with today. :)

this is my situation, too - have ordered a few guitars that took a couple of days, but never anything more than that. Early congrats on the new uke!

futboljim
02-02-2016, 08:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

I feel your pain (been there!)

lol, I remember that ad sooooooo well - and it will be well worth the wait, I know it.

futboljim
02-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Fantastic. Keep up that childlike enthusiasm. The wait is worth it. It'll be like a holiday morning when it arrives...

just hoping that I do not feel ill the day it arrives - I would hate to miss work that day!

futboljim
02-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Look at the bright side: You'll soon have one of the most fantastic production ukes out there, and all the agonizing will be forgotten in a heartbeat, with years of enjoyment ahead of you. Congratulations on a great choice of uke, I love my Cedar/Ebony Pono.

thanks much - glad to hear you really like yours. I tried so hard to convince myself to go with a different one, but there was something about the sound of this on the HMS videos, in comparison to other B/S woods..... just had to do it. The wood combo makes tremendous sense to me, for what I am seeking. Reading that you enjoy yours helps ease that concern some, too, thanks.

bman40
02-02-2016, 08:49 AM

I am in exactly the same boat - My Mya Moe tenor wil be ready in mid-August...its a long wait..

DownUpDave
02-02-2016, 08:57 AM
I love my cedar ebony Pono tenor as well. Others have been bought and sold but "Simone" has stayed the course. You will love it, more than worth the wait.

I am in the 19th month wait on a custom that is now in transit as we speak

Captain Simian
02-02-2016, 09:40 AM
How does Mim, who's a one woman operation, manage to send out ukes set up and ready to go within one business day? I understand that HMS is in Hawaii and I get that they also do setups, but 3 weeks from ordering a production uke to when they actually get to shipping it out seems a bit excessive to me.

Rakelele
02-02-2016, 10:00 AM
thanks much - glad to hear you really like yours. I tried so hard to convince myself to go with a different one, but there was something about the sound of this on the HMS videos, in comparison to other B/S woods..... just had to do it. The wood combo makes tremendous sense to me, for what I am seeking. Reading that you enjoy yours helps ease that concern some, too, thanks.

Ha, that is my exact uke in the video. First one to come through the store, a couple of years ago. Back then, this model was never in stock, so I had to wait for it for half a year. Almost like a custom.

futboljim
02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
Ha, that is my exact uke in the video. First one to come through the store, a couple of years ago. Back then, this model was never in stock, so I had to wait for it for half a year. Almost like a custom.
Worth the wait it sounds like :). You have a very nice sounding instrument there!

AndrewKuker
02-02-2016, 11:13 PM
My apologies to you and any customers affected by the current wait. We setup and ship out 20-30+ ukes a day and have the same three full time setup guys with us for over 5 years now each, and the same shipping crew too.
We are behind, but we are catching up, and nothing in our service is compromised, except for the wait time. But we are very thankful for your patience and we are always here for you.
direct- andrew@theukulelesite.com. (808)781-9168 mahalo!

futboljim
02-03-2016, 12:10 AM
My apologies to you and any customers affected by the current wait. We setup and ship out 20-30+ ukes a day and have the same three full time setup guys with us for over 5 years now each, and the same shipping crew too.
We are behind, but we are catching up, and nothing in our service is compromised, except for the wait time. But we are very thankful for your patience and we are always here for you.
direct- andrew@theukulelesite.com. (808)781-9168 mahalo!

Hi Andrew - no worries here. Your site is up front and open about the time to expect to wait for shipment, what steps you go through with each instrument, etc...

I hope everyone understands that I'm really poking fun at myself here, and not complaining at all. Now out to blow the foot of snow out of my driveway - now that might be a complaint!

futboljim
02-03-2016, 12:12 AM
I love my cedar ebony Pono tenor as well. Others have been bought and sold but "Simone" has stayed the course. You will love it, more than worth the wait.

I am in the 19th month wait on a custom that is now in transit as we speak

Wow, I can only imagine the excitement - I'm struggling with 19 (ish) days, and you've waited 19 months! Congrats and enjoy!

SallyS
02-03-2016, 12:22 AM
I feel your pain and yet agree the excitement is contagious. Love it, oh dear we all get like kids and itʻs wonderful.

Having stumbled onto mine, then set up and shipment, the wait for two weeks was looooonnngggg. Breathe deep

mikebell48
02-03-2016, 01:36 AM
I'm sure it will be worth the wait. I've just ordered a Mya Moe resonator that will be completed on the 29th May 2017 just in time for my 69th birthday. I hope I'm still alive. I may need to seek counselling at some point during the waiting period. Enjoy your Pono when it arrives.

DownUpDave
02-03-2016, 01:47 AM
My Dad had a saying "anticipation is greater than realization". He always said the best part of hunting fishing or camping was the planning, talking and waiting for that day to come. Just like being a kid at Christmas time.

I am really enjoying this thread. Thanks for sharing and giving us all a taste of "Christmas"

Still Water Weapons
02-03-2016, 02:14 AM
I'm also there with you! Ordered my slothead cedar\mahogany just last week, so you are even closer than I am!

WCBarnes
02-03-2016, 02:31 AM
The wait is killing me!

For those of you who order customs, I have no idea how you do it.

Part of the fun with the custom was the weekly photos of the build process Dave sent me. I found myself eagerly awaiting those almost as much as waiting for the uke to arrive.

Hope it gets to you soon so you can start playing it!

Nickie
02-03-2016, 06:21 AM
I know it will be worth the wait! Pono ukes are so highly praised, and HMS service is hard to beat. Mim sells a lot, but not as many as HMS.
I've been waiting on a "customized" uke since November, I should have it in less than 2 weeks. I asked them not to rush it. I think patience pays off.

futboljim
02-04-2016, 03:37 PM
I'm also there with you! Ordered my slothead cedar\mahogany just last week, so you are even closer than I am!

Oooooo that was my second choice, I bet you're gonna smile big in a couple weeks!

futboljim
02-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Part of the fun with the custom was the weekly photos of the build process Dave sent me. I found myself eagerly awaiting those almost as much as waiting for the uke to arrive.

Hope it gets to you soon so you can start playing it!

Yeah, I can see that - watching the step by step would be cool!

futboljim
02-04-2016, 03:42 PM
I know it will be worth the wait! Pono ukes are so highly praised, and HMS service is hard to beat. Mim sells a lot, but not as many as HMS.
I've been waiting on a "customized" uke since November, I should have it in less than 2 weeks. I asked them not to rush it. I think patience pays off.

You are stronger than I am!

Just got my fedex notice, should arrive sometime Monday, woohoo! I hope yours arrives in a way and at a time that makes you very happy. I remember telling people the same when I had a house built - a little extra time and care was just fine with me.

Still Water Weapons
02-07-2016, 02:44 PM
Awesome! You will have to post a review!

Nickie
02-07-2016, 03:44 PM
You are stronger than I am!

Just got my fedex notice, should arrive sometime Monday, woohoo! I hope yours arrives in a way and at a time that makes you very happy. I remember telling people the same when I had a house built - a little extra time and care was just fine with me.

Well, I don't know about strong. I just have a lot of patience, except with stupidity. I've made more darn mistakes rushing things, especially songs....to see how patience pays off, try playing a song too quickly....anticipation can be a great thing. Like waiting 9 months for a baby....premature babies have more problems! I'm waiting just 4 months for this baby!
Waiting a little longer made it a better product, and will make me appreciate it more. The last custom builder I had got in a hurry, and it showed. I couldn't wait to send it back!

futboljim
02-08-2016, 04:22 AM
Awesome! You will have to post a review!

Will do for sure. Maybe even a side by side with my current tenor, a Lanikai monkey pod.

futboljim
02-08-2016, 04:24 AM
Well, I don't know about strong. I just have a lot of patience, except with stupidity. I've made more darn mistakes rushing things, especially songs....to see how patience pays off, try playing a song too quickly....anticipation can be a great thing. Like waiting 9 months for a baby....premature babies have more problems! I'm waiting just 4 months for this baby!
Waiting a little longer made it a better product, and will make me appreciate it more. The last custom builder I had got in a hurry, and it showed. I couldn't wait to send it back!

Well, the day is here and I guess I did ok. Out for delivery according to the FedEx website, delivered between now and 8pm. Really hoping for sooner rather than later.

Mivo
02-08-2016, 04:44 AM
Awesome, Jim! Let us know what you think of it.

This is probably not a good time to retell the story of my custom tenor where the tracking said the instrument was being delivered, and then I didn't hear or see of it for over two weeks until it surfaced again? :p (Arrival and local post strike had collided, and the tracking information was wrong, and it was in the middle of a hot summer.)

futboljim
02-08-2016, 07:11 AM
Awesome, Jim! Let us know what you think of it.

This is probably not a good time to retell the story of my custom tenor where the tracking said the instrument was being delivered, and then I didn't hear or see of it for over two weeks until it surfaced again? :p (Arrival and local post strike had collided, and the tracking information was wrong, and it was in the middle of a hot summer.)

Lol, no, not a good time for that story!

But, it's just a thing. I'm excited to get it, but life goes on regardless of what happens that is out of my control and influence. Already had one fedex truck in the neighborhood today, getting me all wound up! Hopefully the next!

futboljim
02-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Not opening it up until everything feels totally temperature adjusted, but very excited!!!

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/12729012_10207129008336092_5458842785784382925_n.j pg?oh=5957f9ccf321325ebe6c6949291cf7d5&oe=576CDE1A

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/12650899_10207129008496096_2586966742603576801_n.j pg?oh=fddf813a56b444b88f69cc929203eca6&oe=57269D58

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/12715339_10207129008696101_7249684013163058080_n.j pg?oh=a4aa0a5e28dc7cc50d2799317f7ad695&oe=57664A90

Snargle
02-08-2016, 09:55 AM
Nice! I got mine last week and did the same...waited a couple of hours until it warmed up gradually. It was probably overkill, but after all the waiting, I didn't want to have something happen that would mess it up.

Nickie
02-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Good idea....beautiful case....

futboljim
02-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Thankfully I've had errands to fill my time, so I'm not just sitting and staring at it!

I'll open it in the morning to be extra safe. Kinda chilly here.

Nickie
02-08-2016, 01:36 PM
I hope I can hold myself back and remember to do that when mine arrives. It's Eskimo hut cold here, at least to me!

Still Water Weapons
02-08-2016, 01:51 PM
The morning!!! OK, now it's obvious you are doing this on purpose!!!:cool:

vanflynn
02-08-2016, 04:09 PM
Congrats. When you come up for air, post some pics!

futboljim
02-09-2016, 05:16 AM
Another ugh... might have an issue, going to communicate with HMS.

I will say this, though - it sounds very, very nice, based on a couple of strums and arpeggios.

Still Water Weapons
02-09-2016, 05:57 AM
Uh oh, I hope it's not serious and they take care of the issue. :eek:

futboljim
02-09-2016, 12:54 PM
yeah, it is getting sorted out. Spoke with Andrew at HMS today, and these guys are very good at what they do.

Now to shake off this cold, feel like crap. Add to that late work tonight and early work tomorrow, another UGH!!! I'm spoiled, though, no reason to complain, really.

I might not get pics up right away, so maybe I'll add a couple of sound clips if I get the chance in the next couple of days.

futboljim
02-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Just so all is clear, I had a minor issue that is being easily resolved. HMS was very responsive and positive, and this thing sounds great and plays very nicely.

Biggest problem now is that I've been knocked out by a bug for the last 36 hours, and need to somehow make it to work tomorrow, as well as get a little more playing time in.

I've dealt with a couple of dealers long distance on guitar purchases, and I will say tha Andrew and HMS meet and exceed the standard that those two companies set. They are a class act, and I'm quite fearful that this may cost me money in the future, as I somehow concoct reasons why I need more and different instruments!

Now, back to laying around. I've tried shaking this cold by drinking orange juice and water, with little progress so far. I think it's only fair that I give the grapes a try... a decent zin is calling my name!

Still Water Weapons
02-10-2016, 05:48 PM
Glad it's all good.

I'm just getting over my bug, still coughing though, it sucks, hope you get well soon!

futboljim
03-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Update - the folks at HMS have been very good to deal with in this. I'm expecting a replacement from them after they get their next shipment of this model, and they've been kind enough to allow me the use of this one while I wait.

I'll do a full NUD post when my keeper arrives, but thought I'd share the sound of this one with everyone. I just picked up an apogee mic96k, and used it in combo w my iPhone to shoot this real quickly. More samples soon, I hope - really liking this mic, too!

http://youtu.be/Ho97cX2iq0g