PDA

View Full Version : 'Kmise' ukulele, anyone?

drbekken
02-02-2016, 05:55 AM
Just bought a Kmise tenor on ebay. Cost about 50 Ģ, with free shipping to Norway! The ukulele is laminate mahogany, very well made, nice action and intonation, no tweaking required. Video in the works...
Anyone heard about this brand before???

strumsilly
02-02-2016, 06:57 AM
yep. I saw them on Amazon , bought the Mahogany lam [$46 ]and the solid spruce top [$60]. They both played fine out of the box and in my opinion are worth at least 2x what I paid. They are not perfect, but they play and sound fine. I bought them to give away, but I liked the mahog so much I ordered one for me, and a solid top too just because [$65]. They are shipped from china, the mahog came in less than a week, the spruce took 2x as long. They have no bracing in the back, which is molded for strength. The lam is plain but has a beautiful grain and nice matt finish. The lam I just ordered even comes with a rosette at the same price! I don't know if they are selling this cheap to generate sales and then the price will go up. But that is what happened with the Islanders Amazon was selling. I did file the nut slots a little deeper on some of the strings, but definitely playable out of the box, much better than any other $50 uke I've seen. I don't know about the longevity, but at $50 what does it matter? They come with Aquilla look strings, anybody's guess if they are authentic, but they sound OK. Oh, and the bridge is an cool looking string through design, nicer looking than my Koaloha tenor! What was Koaloha thinking, going from the coolest looking to the cheapest looking, but I digress. This is a no brainer buy if they are all like this.
UPDATE: looks like the prices are already creeping up. get 'em while they're hot

drbekken
02-02-2016, 07:27 AM
yep. I saw them on Amazon , bought the Mahogany lam [$46 ]and the solid spruce top [$60]. They both played fine out of the box and in my opinion are worth at least 2x what I paid. They are not perfect, but they play and sound fine. I bought them to give away, but I liked the mahog so much I ordered one for me, and a solid top too just because [$65]. They are shipped from china, the mahog came in less than a week, the spruce took 2x as long. They have no bracing in the back, which is molded for strength. The lam is plain but has a beautiful grain and nice matt finish. The lam I just ordered even comes with a rosette at the same price! I don't know if they are selling this cheap to generate sales and then the price will go up. But that is what happened with the Islanders Amazon was selling. I did file the nut slots a little deeper on some of the strings, but definitely playable out of the box, much better than any other $50 uke I've seen. I don't know about the longevity, but at $50 what does it matter? They come with Aquilla look strings, anybody's guess if they are authentic, but they sound OK. Oh, and the bridge is an cool looking string through design, nicer looking than my Koaloha tenor! What was Koaloha thinking, going from the coolest looking to the cheapest looking, but I digress. This is a no brainer buy if they are all like this.
UPDATE: looks like the prices are already creeping up. get 'em while they're hot
My thoughts exactly...thanks!

drbekken
02-10-2016, 08:28 PM
http://youtu.be/hT86CZaugps

...and here's the sound sample. I have had the Kmise ukulele for a couple of weeks, played it every day, and I like it a lot. A true bargain, and an excellent starter uke or beater.

UkieOkie
02-11-2016, 04:02 AM
Great job playing and it sounds like a great bargain Uke.

ukinator
02-11-2016, 04:23 AM
Interesting... I see an all solid mahagony (body) concert size Kmise listed on Amazon here in Germany for 49€. Says it ships with Aquilas. Looks pretty sweet with that stringthru type bridge. Also have a similar styled solid spruce (top only) for 52€ with a bag and tuner. Crazy...

drbekken
02-11-2016, 05:31 AM
Interesting... I see an all solid mahagony (body) concert size Kmise listed on Amazon here in Germany for 49€. Says it ships with Aquilas. Looks pretty sweet with that stringthru type bridge. Also have a similar styled solid spruce (top only) for 52€ with a bag and tuner. Crazy...

Crazy is the word.

drbekken
02-15-2016, 08:45 AM
https://youtu.be/gib7CI5lUIk

Here's a sound sample of this nice ukulele...recorded on an iPhone, but it still sounds pretty good. I like this uke so much I just ordered a baritone of the same brand, for about 60 USD, including shipping from China to Norway!! Looking forward to receiving it.

Chuditch
02-15-2016, 07:06 PM
I just pulled the ebay trigger on the laminate mahogany tenor... on the strength of your review drbekken. Thank you for the video and thoughts on these ukes.

At $60.99 Australian dollars this is a bargain indeed. I have a Makala Tenor that was setup by Music Guy Mike (RIP) it was my first uke and I am rather attached to it, so much so I don't like the idea of taking it travelling etc (sentimental value I guess). Hopefully the Kmise fills the gap and I can take it with me when I travel, rather than the precious el cheapo Makala tenor.

rar jungle
02-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Type "Kmise" into the Chinese site AliExpress.com and you get a few hits on a number of Kmise products. Guitars and ukuleles. Given that there is a growing number of reasonable low cost ukes coming out of China, why bother with the one or two selected by Amazon buyers, why not just shop directly from a site like AliExpress based in China and see many more brands that are competitive with Kmise?

For me it's been hit or miss on Aliexpress. Sometimes I order something and it's shipped, other times the product is never is shipped and then I have to wait for a refund.

TequilaStrings
02-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Hi! I have been looking into these Kmise ukuleles on amazon and ebay, they seem pretty good for the price. Especially the thin tenor ukulele with laminated zebra body got my eye. However, I am rookie with ukuleles, any thoughts on that particular model?

Chuditch
02-16-2016, 04:30 PM
So far everything I have ordered off AliExpress into Perth has been delivered close to the date advertised.
Thanks for the sound sample, the uke sounds good.

Hi is that Perth, Australia? Or Perth in Scotland? I am in the Pilbara Western Australia.

whistleman123
02-16-2016, 11:51 PM
That mahogany laminate top looks just like the top on my Ailesi Ovation copy. Maybe made in the same factory? The Aielsi was a little over $60 including shipping to the US. I bought direct from Aielsi.

Chuditch
03-02-2016, 08:10 PM
Perth in Australia.

Well then, greetings from another Western Australian!

My kmise lam mahogany tenor arrived the other day. Exceeded my expectations in all areas, most importantly setup and intonation is quite good. Has a nice volume and tone, well made with no sharpness on frets. Wood has an attractive grain very uniform build quality. I do like the arch back style as I only have one other uke with that style of back. I could spend $AU60.99 in infinitely worse ways. Very nice affordable Uke.

Chuditch
03-02-2016, 08:15 PM
That mahogany laminate top looks just like the top on my Ailesi Ovation copy. Maybe made in the same factory? The Aielsi was a little over $60 including shipping to the US. I bought direct from Aielsi.

I believe the Kmise boss responded to a Kmise review and said they have no affiliation with Caramel at all.

drbekken
03-02-2016, 10:15 PM
I am waiting for a Kmise baritone now. If standards match the tenor I've got, I will be one happy dude.

Henning
03-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Just bought a solid spruce top Kmise concerto with gig bag and little cheap tuning clip machine. Hope to see it in 2 - 4 weeks. According to this site it seems to be the right choice and I wanted a concert for a long time.
The lady said (wrote) Iīm quoting: "Hello friend,
Good day!
Dear friend,the side is as same as the back,and the black binding is plastic,not wood.
This ukulele is good quality and worth to buy.hope you will satisfied it.
Best regards"

Should arrive 2016-03-21 - 2016-04-13, within a span of three weeks :rolleyes:

onlyablur
03-08-2016, 01:33 AM
Type "Kmise" into the Chinese site AliExpress.com and you get a few hits on a number of Kmise products. Guitars and ukuleles. Given that there is a growing number of reasonable low cost ukes coming out of China, why bother with the one or two selected by Amazon buyers, why not just shop directly from a site like AliExpress based in China and see many more brands that are competitive with Kmise?

Totally agree with you, Bill1! When I go to China next, I will definitely pick up a tenor from one of the many ukulele shops on Taobao.com (similar to AliExpress). By the way, have you by any chance tried the Caeser brand ukulele?

Henning
03-08-2016, 03:04 AM
Totally agree with you, Bill1! When I go to China next, I will definitely pick up a tenor from one of the many ukulele shops on Taobao.com (similar to AliExpress).

One peculiar thing about those Chinese ukuleles are that it seems as though those that are more decorated or ornamented at the top seem to cost less. :confused:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukulele/comments/3mhu5r/kmise_ukulele_are_they_good/

onlyablur
03-09-2016, 12:58 AM
One peculiar thing about those Chinese ukuleles are that it seems as though those that are more decorated or ornamented at the top seem to cost less. :confused:

From what I can see on the chinese webshops, the more decorated ukuleles can always be sold more easily. They sometimes cost less might be because they are made of a lesser material. Sometimes they are claimed to be solid top but for that price it's probably laminate.

Henning
03-19-2016, 07:49 AM
They sometimes cost less might be because they are made of a lesser material. Sometimes they are claimed to be solid top but for that price it's probably laminate.

This brand, Kmise have both laminate ukuleles and those they claim are solid top. If the were laminate why not claim all to be solid top then?

onlyablur
03-20-2016, 01:48 AM
This brand, Kmise have both laminate ukuleles and those they claim are solid top. If the were laminate why not claim all to be solid top then?

Sorry I wasn't being clear. I wasn't referring to this particular brand Kmise, but those 'solid tops' that are sold for $40 or even less on Taobao (a huge chinese webshop). Of course I don't know for sure if they are solid tops or not, but at such low price I wouldn't expect them to be.

Lemon Music
04-13-2016, 11:51 AM
I am waiting for a Kmise baritone now. If standards match the tenor I've got, I will be one happy dude.

So what do you think of your baritone?
I received mine today. Not sure what tuning it is meant to be. It clearly has a high 4th, but is it high-D or high-G?
Little experience here yet, just playing for two months now... (starting out on soprano and switched to tenor after 3 weeks)

drbekken
04-13-2016, 06:17 PM
It's high D. I was unlucky with mine. It was broken on the way...someone had treated it roughly, and the packaging left a lot to be desired. The replacement uke, which arrived very quickly, was also broken. Then, I just gave up. That said; the instrument in itself was very nice. There are probably sellers who pack better than the one I dealt with.

UkieOkie
04-14-2016, 02:41 AM
It's high D. I was unlucky with mine. It was broken on the way...someone had treated it roughly, and the packaging left a lot to be desired. The replacement uke, which arrived very quickly, was also broken. Then, I just gave up. That said; the instrument in itself was very nice. There are probably sellers who pack better than the one I dealt with.

Well that's unfortunate. I was also curious about their baritones.

strumsilly
04-14-2016, 04:30 AM
From what I can see on the chinese webshops, the more decorated ukuleles can always be sold more easily. They sometimes cost less might be because they are made of a lesser material. Sometimes they are claimed to be solid top but for that price it's probably laminate.
I have bought several Kimise, and the laminates were laminate, the solid tops solid. One of the best sounding was a mahog laminate [$48] with a molded back [no back bracing]

Lemon Music
04-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Well that's unfortunate. I was also curious about their baritones.

Yeah, sorry to hear that drbekken.
Mine was fine, although I was a bit worried when I saw the box. But enough bubblewrap to save it ;-)
Thanks for your quick response. As I wrote I have little experience, so the strings seemed a bit loose to me in D-G-B-E tuning - hence my wondering if they might be meant for a higher tuning. Which would be odd ofcourse, but heck - it's China!
I asked the seller the same thing yesterday and she couldn't answer it.
But I guess it's typical for baritone to have less tension on the strings. I'll get used to it ;-) Because D-G-B-E is obviously the tuning I was hoping for (although I had expected low-D).

Niamhers
12-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Glad to hear positive reviews about the Kmise brand of ukes as I'm planning to purchase one myself!

Has anyone had any experience specifically with the Kmise Concert Uke with the solid mahogany top?

If anyone could tell me their opinion of it i'd really appreciate it as I'm pretty much a complete newb!

Lemon Music
12-14-2016, 10:28 PM
Actually I was planning to let you know that I am probably going to change my Kmise baritone for another brand.
The higher string(s) are buzzing and in the summer I had a luthier work on my uke but the problem has come back.
So after all I have spent more money on finetuning my uke (with a low-D and some alterations by the luthier) than it cost itself.
Furthermore I still suspect the strings that were on it when I received it from China are:
1.) not real Aquila's
2.) meant for hiG-C-E-A tuning and not hiD-G-B-E

No experience however with the Concert, that might be a whole different story...

Henning
12-27-2016, 07:14 AM
I have bought several Kimise, and the laminates were laminate, the solid tops solid. One of the best sounding was a mahog laminate [$48] with a molded back [no back bracing]

Now really :confused:
The one I had was definetely a laminate though the seller claimed it to be solid spruce. Not only once but all through the painstaking process of my ebay reclaimings.
They were so stubborn that I even took it to the local violin maker and had him to look inside. He counted the annual rings on the inside and outside and noted the difference, then ebay decided that I should have it for free. I though wasnīt very happy about as it had costed me so very much time invested to reach that result. But most important to the seller was that I didnīt send it back to them, as that had costed more then the value of the ukulele.
I still have it and donīt really know what to do with it. Sometimes I think the tone is ok, sometimes I find it rather dull...
As someone here noted, the strings on it are not Aquilas, at least not Italian Aquilas but maybe Chinese "Aquilas".

idahoskier
03-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Just thought I would add my Kmise experience here. I just received my solid mahogony top concert uke with the rosette and I have to say I am quite pleased with it. For $50 with a bag and tuner its a great deal. I am new to ukes but the fit and finish all look/feel nice to me. The solid top is in fact solid. The rosette is applied nicely. Frets are even and smooth. The tone is decent and projects well, but I have not had it long enough to really make that call yet. Tuning has been holding well. My only complaint is that the edges of the body could be eased a little more. Its not going blow away ukes that are 3x the price but it definitely is well worth the cost IMO. Great for a beginner or a beater.

gilles T
04-12-2017, 12:59 AM
Hello,

I'm playing a solid top Kmise tenor for some months now and I'm more than pleased with it. I was not familiar with ukes but played extensively various guitaleles, including a very good Gretsch, but as for the sound and projection, I find the modest Kmise even better ! A friend of mine, who is a noted uke player,was totally baffled by the overall quality of the instrument. The intonation is perfect, the geared machine heads are perfect, and thanks to the solid soundboard, the sound is getting better form week to week, with a fantastic sustain that fits fingerstyle playing.

Just incredible at that price point (about 60 $ including gigbag and shipping from China) !

cashreedhar
10-12-2018, 05:46 AM
I bought Kmise solid spruce top ukulele and playing for around a month now. The top is really solid and I see many are confused about solid top. When an uke is solid top, only the top is made out of solid wood sheet but the sides and back are laminated. When it is all solid, along with the top the sides and back of the uke are also made from solid wood. Again an all solid uke does not have a totally solid carved in appearance like in some guitars, but the sides are attached with binding.

Best example of laminate is the clipboard with laminate top. Clipboards are rare these days, people confuse with computer clipboard (google for images). The main material of clipboard is made with wooden powder decayed and bonded. Which is obviously cheaper than a solid wood sheet. But the solid wood used in musical instruments are overpriced in countries like US, but in developing countries you get for around 10% of what it costs in US. Again there is no reason for a solid wood to be that expensive, because 3 sq ft wooden block can produce more than 300 sheets; the real cost really lies on craftsmanship. Hence it really makes sense, why these ukes are well made, but still cheaper when it comes from a production based country like China.

Finally, verifying whether your uke got a solid top is very easy. Just look at the soundhole where you can see the wood cut (refer to the image). Also, when you strum you should be able to see and feel the vibration on top for few seconds.

What I like about Kmise:
- Design is very good. The binding is very well made and it looks very durable.
- Solid spruce top. Beautiful vibrations
- Connections are seamless
- Open Gear Tuner - The tuner is similar the one's found in some nice guitars and it holds the tunes very well. If I have to compare tune retention with my Cordoba 25s, tune retention is very similar on both ukes.
- Aquila strings and real bone nut and saddle - bone nut and saddle create much better sound than plastic.
- Unique sound - Here is the main subject. The sound from the solid spruce uke I received is very unique and it resembles the sound from guitar to my ears. Which is not good or bad, but its a different experience.

What I didn't like:
- shipping time - I ordered the uke from eBay, some very good feedback Chinese seller. It took around 45 days to reach my address in NJ, USA. I didn't have patience to wait for such a long time for my first uke and bought Cordoba 25s all solid Soprano uke.
- vibrations - C chord creates heavy base which might be good for some, but I wanted less base.
- Uke didn't come with a gig bag, carry case, manual or even felt picks.

Kenn2018
10-12-2018, 07:15 PM
I suspect, though I don't have any hard data to back it up, that a "solid wood top" has become a term that some lower end manufacturers or generic instrument wholesalers attach to their products' descriptions because it helps to sell them.

A similar situation exists with crystal jewelry and products. Some manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers in the far East have recognized that the brand "Swarovski" is the term that will sell their products. Is is applied to virtually everything that is made of crystal and even some glass items. Even when it is obvious that the item has never been near Austria.

Part of this is a language barrier. Part of it is sales hype. Part is the genericizing of a brand name so it becomes the term for the whole product category. Such as: Kleenex, Xerox, Hoover, Jello, Sanka, Saran Wrap, Velcro, etc. It sells products.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Orton Pearson
10-22-2018, 02:59 PM
The fact that their nuts / saddles are made from bone is quite enough to totally put me off their ukes, whatever the life story of any particular beast is.

Jerryc41
10-23-2018, 01:03 AM
The fact that their nuts / saddles are made from bone is quite enough to totally put me off their ukes, whatever the life story of any particular beast is.

It's funny how these posts live forever. This one is from 2016, and it's still getting replies.

As for the bone, I wonder if anyone could tell the difference in sound between bone, ebony, plastic, or anything else. I recently got a Bonanza Oreo, and it has a beautiful Corian nut and saddle.

captain-janeway
10-23-2018, 08:39 AM
It's funny how these posts live forever. This one is from 2016, and it's still getting replies.

As for the bone, I wonder if anyone could tell the difference in sound between bone, ebony, plastic, or anything else. I recently got a Bonanza Oreo, and it has a beautiful Corian nut and saddle.

I kind of like these that come back. I may try what someone else did and just scrape a Kmise banjo uke into parts for something I want to try. Someone did an interesting build with one

chikon2000
12-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Has anyone played the Kmise laminate soprano? It looks like it could be a pretty nice travel uke.

ukantor
12-19-2018, 11:30 AM
I have had a Kmise soprano for the last couple of years - the label reads KMB21S - I bought it direct from China on AliExpress. It cost less than Ģ30 incl p&p. The body is all laminate, the build quality is very good for the price, it plays well and sounds good. I bought it as a cheap and cheerful uke that I could keep in the car and not be too concerned about. It really is a very respectable little instrument, and seems to be very sturdy.

I consider it amazing value for such a low price.

John Colter.

azairvine
09-03-2019, 06:30 AM
AND THIS THREAD SHALL LIVE ON!!!!

So, I've been doing my research and am pretty much set on a Kmise Tenor based on the reviews from UU. I joined the local club tonight and tried out a few ukes. I thought I was lefthanded, but it feels a little more natural righthanded, so that should make things a little easier. Tenor was the size I was after, and it felt like a nice fit. I'm on a tight budget and Kmise seems to be the best value for money, so it's the (likely) winner.

I've got a Riptide soprano but one of my favourite artists (Glenn Hansard) signed it and I've had it locked in the vault ever since. I promised him I'd play it, so I need to compromise!

Off to narrow it down to a few selection based on what I've read in this thread. I'll be back!

Choirguy
09-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Aklot is also made by Kmise. Aklot just released a Bamboo Ukulele, and a number of sites (not mine) were contacted by Aklot to review it. It has "Designed by Aklot" on the soundboard, which a number of us commented about on those videos--and Aklot wrote some comments and let people know that on the next batch they would remove it. The Bamboo is about $120 and only in tenor at this time.

I was part of the original Aklot AKC-23 review debacle; I still like the instrument (although it's been sent to a niece), and I also have one of the Spruce top (supposed to be solid, but sure looks like laminate) ukuleles (or more accurately, it is my wife's--although she doesn't play it).

Another teacher I know in the UK uses Kmise for her students, and speaks very favorably of them.

Ziret
09-03-2019, 04:38 PM
If you watch some of Bernadette's unboxings, it would appear that Enya/Kaka/Kmise/Aklot are all the same. Probably others as well.

I ordered a super cheap uke direct from Kmise and it arrived in just the trapezoidal box, with the neck coming unglued due to the hot weather. They immediately refunded my money, but I guess the reason it was so cheap was because glue and the fretboard extension were all that was keeping the neck on. Not even a piece of doweling. So their construction practices seem to be as all over the map as their name.

Aklot is also made by Kmise. Aklot just released a Bamboo Ukulele, and a number of sites (not mine) were contacted by Aklot to review it. It has "Designed by Aklot" on the soundboard, which a number of us commented about on those videos--and Aklot wrote some comments and let people know that on the next batch they would remove it. The Bamboo is about $120 and only in tenor at this time.

I was part of the original Aklot AKC-23 review debacle; I still like the instrument (although it's been sent to a niece), and I also have one of the Spruce top (supposed to be solid, but sure looks like laminate) ukuleles (or more accurately, it is my wife's--although she doesn't play it).

Another teacher I know in the UK uses Kmise for her students, and speaks very favorably of them.

maki66
09-03-2019, 07:36 PM
I've had very good experience's with Kmise ukuleles purchased through Amazon.
Set up has been perfect, good strings, I believe they are Daarrio FC's. And no issues with damage in shipping.
I'v bough two laminate tenors, one to gift and one keeper.
Several coworkers bought the same model on my recommendation.
Good ukulele for the money, IMO.
I'd like to try one of their baritones, but really don't need another.

azairvine
09-04-2019, 01:33 PM
I was part of the original Aklot AKC-23 review debacle;

Debacle as in the print on the body, or something more sinister? I'm very very close to ordering one on eBay. I don't think that print detracts from the uke, though I've only seen it in pictures obviously.

Badger uke
09-04-2019, 01:51 PM
I recently got kmise concert as my first uke great value for money sounds good well built, but after only 1 month I am looking at better ukes , another option is a cheap second hand MAkala dolphin then get something better .

azairvine
09-04-2019, 02:26 PM
My concern is that I don't have a job so can't really justify much money, and also whether I will stick with it and put in the time to practice. I played trumpet as a kid and hated practicing - I didn't have the patience and just wanted to play songs straight away.

Badger uke
09-04-2019, 11:34 PM
I played guitar before, there are 4 main cords you can pick up quickly and play some songs but you will need to practice.

azairvine
09-05-2019, 05:50 AM
I played guitar before, there are 4 main cords you can pick up quickly and play some songs but you will need to practice.

I feel like the initial learning curve for a uke is a lot shallower than a trumpet - that's nothing to say for actually being able to play it well, just the ability to circumvent long notes and scales to a degree for fun chords and rusty-sounding tunes :D

merlin666
09-05-2019, 12:32 PM
I don't know if they are selling this cheap to generate sales and then the price will go up. But that is what happened with the Islanders Amazon was selling.

$50 seems like a bargain for us in North America or Europe, where wages are high. But we should keep in mind that the materials used for these ukes cost them pennies, and the overall cost to produce them is around two to three dollars a unit. So in other words, the margins on these things are enormous and with direct bulk shipping from the warehouses the owners of these brands are making an easy fortune.

Ukecaster
10-02-2019, 09:43 AM
$43.99 with free shipping! This one says it is a tenor with a solid mahogany top. I like the first review, he says it sounds like his $1000.00 Kanilea K1.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8HO3MW/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_13oLDb14E65QM

Ukecaster
10-07-2019, 10:28 AM
I grabbed one of the Kmise mahogany tenors, the one in my post above, for $43.99 including shipping, mine is the 5th shown of 6. Model number inside the sound hole is KMA26T. It's pretty nice, sounds and plays well, perky, chimey reentrant sound, and I notice it vibrates into my body when played. Surprisingly, it has an arched back, with back braces inside, not a molded arch back with no braces, as some have said. Also a tie bar bridge, not string-thru like some of the others shown. This one is pretty much what I'd hoped for in an inexpensive tenor, it seems worth way more than $43.99. IMO, it is equal to many much more expensive Kalas and Ohanas that I have played.

I pretty much agree with most everything that was mentioned in this review: www.ianchadwick.com/blog/kmise-and-aklot-ukuleles. Would I like wider than 1 3/8" nut? Sure, but it's hard to argue with such a good sounding/playing solid-top tenor uke for $43.99!

Here/s a short vid of my KMA26T: https://youtu.be/HfxeTopa8Eo

Ukecaster
10-08-2019, 02:46 PM
Update: the claim of a solid mahogany body is not accurate. With a jewelers loupe, and no body binding, the laminate top and back can clearly be seen at the edges. I was unsure at the soundhole at first, with a dark stain there. I can't get a closeup pic, but see my drawing below of what I see at the edges under magnification.

Kmise is telling some whoppers with claims of a solid mahogany body in the top description. In the lower description, they say solid top, lam B&S. However, the rest of that description is way off too for this particular model; this one has no binding, no abalone, and open geared tuners. Someone not paying attention over there. I could send it back based on all the misinformation, but still a good value at the low price.

Choirguy
10-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Debacle as in the print on the body, or something more sinister? I'm very very close to ordering one on eBay. I don't think that print detracts from the uke, though I've only seen it in pictures obviously.

Sorry...I missed this. I check UU every other day, and many threads seem to be lost in the "What's New" tab before I even check it.

The debacle: Aklot asked a number of people to review the instrument, and sent out review ukuleles. That's all good with me. But then once we started posting the reviews...as requested to do so on Amazon as well, Aklot let us know that we couldn't say that we had been provided a ukulele for review. Apparently Amazon changed their policies and forbids this as a course of action.

**Note, I think that's pretty dumb on Amazon's part...I would be fine with letting anyone provide a review unit of anything, as long as they disclosed that they were sent a ukulele to do so.

About this time, Barry Maz wrote a review...and then very quickly pulled the review after finding out that Aklot was asking reviewers to not say that they were sent a ukulele for review. This is also the event that pushed Barry over the edge and he didn't review any Amazon ukuleles until very recently...that was almost 2 years in the making.

I personally left my review on my own YouTube Channel and Blog, but pulled my review from Amazon.

The two things that bothered me were Aklot asking us to not disclose that we were given a ukulele to review, and also adding that fact AFTER the reviews were posted and filmed.

All that said, I really like the Aklot packages and just bought--at a discounted rate--one of the Bamboo models to review. No, these aren't the greatest ukuleles on the planet, but they far exceed just about any of the competition at the price points they sell at.

One other quick note...someone suggested that Enya/Kaka is the same company--they are not. Kmise/Aklot is the same company. Enya/Kaka is another, and they were also producing ukuleles under some other names (e.g. OMS). I think Enya has settled on its name (New Age Singer or not) and seems to be a very influential instrument company in China. Their PR releases seem to get a lot of attention over there (I follow them on Facebook).

Ukecaster
10-08-2019, 06:42 PM
Yes, I added a review of my new Kmise tenor to Amazon, with the NOT A SOLID TOP story being told, as part of an otherwise positive review. We'll see if they let it through after their 48 hour "review" period. If not, I know the fix is in .

Kenn2018
10-08-2019, 07:57 PM
One other quick note...someone suggested that Enya/Kaka is the same company--they are not. Kmise/Aklot is the same company. Enya/Kaka is another, and they were also producing ukuleles under some other names (e.g. OMS). I think Enya has settled on its name (New Age Singer or not) and seems to be a very influential instrument company in China. Their PR releases seem to get a lot of attention over there (I follow them on Facebook).

Yeah, I remember reading that a while ago. That Kaka changed their export instruments to the Enya name because of the unfortunate connotations of the same sounding word: caca.

Now, back to the original thread...