What does it mean to have a "+" after a chord?

Savour

Reaction score
I am recently looking into What a wonderful world tab that Sesso posted on youtube. In it, it has this chord progression : ' F | F+ | ' . What does the "+" indicate? Thanks

It means the chord is augmented, or the fifth is raised a semitone. In the case of an F+, for example, you would have F-A-C# instead of F-A-C.

What's interesting about an augmented chord (in a music geek kind of way) is that because of the intervals between the notes, each augmented chord is actually the augmented chord for each note it contains. An F+, for example, is also an A+ (A-C#-F) and a C#+ (C#-F-A).

Last edited:
It means the chord is augmented, or the fifth is raised a semitone. In the case of an F+, for example, you would have F-A-C# instead of F-A-C.

What's interesting about an augmented chord is that because of the intervals between the notes, each augmented chord is actually the augmented chord for each note it contains. An F+, for example, is also an A+ and a C#+.

i was going to reply stating that i didnt quite understand how it would work out... till i spelled it all out. hahaha

A+ = A-C#-F
C#+ = C#-F-A

incredible. i learned something new. thanks!

i was going to reply stating that i didnt quite understand how it would work out... till i spelled it all out. hahaha

A+ = A-C#-F
C#+ = C#-F-A

incredible. i learned something new. thanks!
No problem! And I added the spellings to my original post while you were composing yours!

cool, i google the same question in general (hoping to see a guitar site would answer the question) nevertheless I found the second entry, Ukuleleunderground (site that I oftenly consult), really it's a great site, with great forum users, that know. Seems to me that at lest in internet ukulele player are working harder than guitar players.

I agree with the general meaning of what cpatch and nuke said.

However, I'm a stickler for 'correct' notation (so please take what I say here with a large grain of salt)...

an A+ or Aaug chord would be A-C#-E#
if we spell the chord A-C#-F, then it is in fact a second inversion F+ chord (F-A-C#)
likewise, C#+ would be spelled C#-E#-G##

I do realize, however, that spelling the chords like this doesn't illustrate the fact that cpatch mentioned about these chords forming an augmented chord no matter which note is the bass note.

Top Bottom