Thrift Store Find! Hohner HU-6 Ukulele

iKokomo

Reaction score
I found a Hohner HU-6 at a local thrift store, complete in original box and warrantee card and I thought it was a cheap one until I noticed it seemed to be older because it was Made in Japan. Googling, YouTube, and eBay show nothing on this unit, so I was wondering if anyone had any information on this instrument? Any help would be awesome!
Thanks!!

PS. First Post!! :)

IMG_0698.jpg

Yeah, it looks older for sure, sweet find! Welcome to the forum...

Maybe from the 60s or 70s? It looks to be in very good condition!

Is there a copyright date on the warranty card?

Unfortunately not! Here is a picture of the warentee card
569f394a-e343-496e-ac4a-aed3117c5e84.jpg

looks like 70s or early 80s printed material to me. Cool find, how does it sound?

Wow! Nice score. Nothing better than a good thrift store find. Welcome to the UU!

Welcome to Ukulele Underground!!! That uke looks nice!!!

Nice little ukulele. If there are any zip codes on the printed materials, it will be newer than the 1960's.

NIce find, congrats.

Thanks!! I was wondering, how can I tell what it is made of? Whether it is solid, laminate, or partial solid?
Thanks!

Welcome to UU! NICE score!

Thanks!! I was wondering, how can I tell what it is made of? Whether it is solid, laminate, or partial solid?
Thanks!
Look in the soundhole and around the uke where the top/bottom meet the sides, if you see layers in the wood there (like plywood) then it's a laminate. I think it looks like mahogny.

Nice find, agree it looks 70's. Don't you love thrift shops? Agree it looks like Mahoghany and it looks hand made, some points are a bit rudimentary. Good score for you!
I doubt you will find much info on it, but at this point my guess would be this instrument sat around somebody's place for a long time, they cleaned house and now you have discovered it.
Value? Anything really is only worth what it is worth to you.

Intriguing and very sweet.

I have an old 70's Fender classical that I scored from a Thrift store a few years back and she sounds awesome. We tracked and tried to determine her date, but even Fender only gave us a range.

Top Bottom