Ukulele Tuning Mnemonics

vct33

Reaction score
I was chatting with a client about different stringed instruments and the tunings and we got talking about mnominic devices. I wondered if anybody has their own that they use to remember Uke tuning.

Mine is: Goats Can Eat Anything

Works for me!!!!

Girls Conquer Every Ambition - another good one.....

I use Goats Can Eat Anything, too. Chili Monster had used it in his tutorial videos, and his were the first I watched when I picked up my first uke three years ago, so it stuck. :)

I have enough trouble remembering the mnemonics for the staff EGBDF and FACE, and the fretboard at 5th and 7th CFAD and DGBE. For open tuning I just remember the letters.

I use Goats Can Eat Anything, too. Chili Monster had used it in his tutorial videos, and his were the first I watched when I picked up my first uke three years ago, so it stuck. :)

That's awesome that someone else made up the same thing.

GCEA is not that hard to remember. My problem is that the 1st string is A, 2nd is E, 3rd is C and 4th is G, so why isn't it AECG?!?!?! :shaka:

However...why have a mnemonic memory device which is a blatant falsehood? Goats CANNOT eat anything.. Tomatoes and tomato plants kill goats.
Rhododendron kills 'em even quicker...Irish Yew is a decorative plant that is very widely used because it is always green and has nice red berries. All parts of one is deadly... whether green or dried under or around it. It also kills humans and anything else bigger or smaller. How about make it truthfull? Goats Can Eat Apples.

I could never remember the string names, until I came across an old Arthur Godfrey song, called "Once Upon A Ukulele", which has the lyric:
"He Couldn't Play/ G-C-E-A"

So that's what my mind says.

And I agree with Danno - Guitar was always EADGBE, and, as a self-taught player, the bass string was always the first string I tuned, so it was the first string. Same with Ukulele, even if the first string is the re-entrant sting.

I know that goes against the grain, but it is the natural order of things - the first string I see when I look down at the strings is the first string.

I also don't use a capo - it isn't natural.

as in, the key signature shouldn't have all of those sharps and flats and stuff...

when we change how we think, we can change how we act. Under all is the land. Everything begins at the ground level. TOE --ONE. Three comes before four. Higher up the body is the N O S E. That is a Four letter word. People have used their body as a reference point even before they aware of it. Are there any parents who have not asked their very young child where are their toes and\or nose? . Great pictures are of people coming home and kissing the ground. The reverence of the islanders for their contact with the ground seems to be different from mainlanders who use their self as the reference point. Ground is the starting point from which altitude is measured (yes, sea level actually) oh, please, let's not get into high tide-low tide. :~)

Mnemonics to remember 4 letters! What is this world coming to! :)

Good Clowns Earn Applause.

Simple as that and nothing to do with death and poison and all that nasty stuff. Be happy, play ukulele.

Or another one (just came to my mind), slightly closer to the previously mentioned goats: God Created Eerie Animals

Top Bottom