Song Help Request Help naming these chords

whistleman123

Reaction score
I've been trying work out the intro to IF I HAD YOU right from the original 1928 sheet music. The chord namers I use cannot put a name to these 2 chords.

The key signiture is Bb. The chord diagrams are for D tuning so I've moved them up 2 frets.

I've got the rest of the tune figured out with some nice voicings, but I'm still stumbling on the intro. Here's the pics:l

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 24
Hi,

without knowing the tune, I am pretty sure that the 4-5-3-2 [the left one one the third image] is a G7 (missing out the 5th).
Stating from your handwritten sheet, it would a logical sequence: The chords follows the circle of fifths counter-clockwise (A7-D7-G7-C7).

As for the second one, I have no clue at first sight.
In the original score (during the word "seem'd"), the root note is an F, which is missing in the chord symbol. Together with the A and the Eb that makes fine F7. That would make sense, since it (as the dominant chord) leads back to the Bb.

I suppose the C# is just there to give us a headache.
Call it an F79+ , if you need a word for it.

Hope this helps.
Best, Phrunk

Last edited:
according to page 2, it looks like a G7 to me, although I would play it like an F#7, but
starting on the 3rd fret (4535) :)

Yeah, as Phrunk and Uncle Rod said, the first chord is a G7 with the 3rd (B) doubled.

The second as Phrunk pointed out is an F7 but with a raised 5th, no root and a doubled 3rd. So, it's an Faug7 which resolves to Bb (V7 ➡ I). You can also play it as 2314 then you have all four notes (A,Eb,F,C#). The C# sharp resolves up to the D in the Bb chord. Try paying a regular F7 chord there and you will hear why I think it is an F7. :D

Their names are Steve and Hank.

Yes, Wicked is correct, though I would add that in classical nomenclature the chords would be Stephen and Henry, and they would be notated under the staff for analysis purposes. :p

Thanks for the help. Now that I know the sur-names for Steve and Hank this intro makes more sense to me.

Interestingly, even though this is the intro on the original sheet music Cliff Edwards uses it as an interlude between verses on an old recording. Kinda cool! I might use this format on other tunes.

Top Bottom