Problem with baritone strings coming unwound...

UkieOkie

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So the last two sets of baritone strings I have put on have come unwound on the third after only one to two weeks. I didn't used to have this problem, but I have started playing a lot more blues with a lot of bends. The local shop only had two different types of d'addarios.

Do you fine folks have any recommendations on a dgbe set with a wound third and fourth that will sound good and hold together more than a week or two?

Thanks,

Trevor

Hey folks,

So the last two sets of baritone strings I have put on have come unwound on the third after only one to two weeks. I didn't used to have this problem, but I have started playing a lot more blues with a lot of bends. The local shop only had two different types of d'addarios.

Do you fine folks have any recommendations on a dgbe set with a wound third and fourth that will sound good and hold together more than a week or two?

Thanks,

Trevor

I think you're discovering why most blues guitarists use steel strings ... nylon strings aren't really designed to take that kind of (ab)use ... but it is just possible you've got a couple of rough frets that are wearing the strings prematurely.

Do bear in mind, this isn't a recommendation to put steel strings on your ukulele!

Well, thanks for the advice folks, even though it was not what I was wanting to hear. I guess I could try a nylon or flouro third and maybe if the sound I like doesn't suffer too much then that would solve it. The frets seem pretty smooth and even, but I could spend a little time with some fine sand paper and see if it helps. Thanks for the help.

Well, thanks for the advice folks, even though it was not what I was wanting to hear. I guess I could try a nylon or flouro third and maybe if the sound I like doesn't suffer too much then that would solve it. The frets seem pretty smooth and even, but I could spend a little time with some fine sand paper and see if it helps. Thanks for the help.

I think you'll find that the sound you want will suffer with without a wound 3rd and 4th. I would suggest a set of Southcoast strings. I too play a fair amount of blues, and I am partial to these strings. Good luck!

Do people play with razor blades as picks or something?
I play my fair share of blues, and aren't exactly a soft-player, and my strings on classical guitars and baritone ukes last months without damage.

Anyway, that aside, baritone ukulele strings ARE THE SAME AS classical guitar strings, repackaged.

Buy any classical guitar string set of your preference, and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) to tune up to DGBE on a baritone ukulele.
Normal tension classical guitar will give you normal tension, but you can use high tension if you want.

My baritone ukes sound very good with D'addario Pro-Arte classicals and Savarez!

I don't have a baritone, but I do have to agree with kissing. When I went to college I had a classical guitar and played everything, except classical, on it and never had a problem with strings coming "unwound".

strumsilly asked where they are coming unwound. If they are falling apart due to the frets cutting them, that is one thing and maybe there are rough ends, if you bend too far and maybe polishing the frets will help.

If they are coming apart from the tuners or bridge, then you need to cut the string after you have brought it up to tension. This is tougher on a pinned bridge than a tied bridge.

The saddle can also cut them if you have a sharp edge on it.

John

They're cutting the windings on the frets. The frets are pretty smooth really. I do a lot of bends and I play for several hours an evening when I am in my insomnia stage. I may just try to get some wound g-strings in bulk. I do like the sound of the wound strings. Thanks again for the advice.

I posted this several months ago...maybe it will help.

A Living Water testimonial

I promised over a year ago that I would review my take on the Living Water Baritone (low D) strings.

As the story goes....In late 2013, I purchased an Ohona Baritone Uke from fellow lister, MiM's. It came equipped with Aquila Strings, the ones with the wrapped G and D strings. Sounded great to start, but began to breakdown and unravel after a few weeks. So I replaced the wrapped strings with more Aquila, yet still was having same issue. I then tried the Martin wrapped strings....same issues. I ever tried the Aquila Reds, but found them to be too brittle and broke a couple pretty quick. I then wondered if there was an issue with the Uke itself. So I honed all the frets and any rough edges I could find, though couldn't really see any issues that would cause the string wear. I ever got to the point that I was honing the callouses on my fingers, thinking that may be causing the string issues. I was at wits end.

Told you all that to tell you this...

I sought direction from those on this forum and many suggested that I try the Living Water Strings. These sets have no wrapped strings, so nothing to unravel. So I ordered a couple of sets from Ken Middleton in England. That's the only place to get them, though UkeRepublic does carry some of the sets now. I waited patiently for the new strings to arrive. After 3 weeks, I contacted Ken and he assured me that my order went out on time. After a month they finally arrived from England via Australia. (bit of a routing problem).

I installed these strings on 3-25-2014 At the time and pretty much ever since, I've played this Uke exclusively. It has gotten played a couple of hours or more nearly everyday. It has went with me to no less than 6 Bluegrass Festivals during this time frame in which it had hours and hours of playing time and faced the elements everyday of going from Hot vehicle to cool evenings and everything in-between. I have been playing this Uke exclusively with my newest band, 3 Hits and A Miss. Finally the strings started breaking down and was hard to keep in tune and the intonation was noticeably off. Time to change strings! 15 months of HARD playing...I'll take that anytime. So I changed strings this week and today ordered more replacements. Hopefully they don't visit Australia again this time. Thanks Ken Middleton!

Wooville

I have been away too long from classical guitar strings to know if coated strings will help with string wear off the frets, or if they just protect the strings from dirt and oils.

Hopefully someone with some experience with these can chime in.

John

EDIT: Didn't see the excellent post above.

I do find that Aquila's wound strings are a bit more fragile than others. If it is Aquila strings unwinding, I understand.

I dont really use Aquila wound strings anymore for this reason. D'addarios are very resilient

Anyway, that aside, baritone ukulele strings ARE THE SAME AS classical guitar strings, repackaged.

Buy any classical guitar string set of your preference, and use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) to tune up to DGBE on a baritone ukulele.
Normal tension classical guitar will give you normal tension, but you can use high tension if you want.

That's interesting. So you are saying that for example d'Addario baritone strings are just the middle four guitar strings of a set? And the same for Martins etcetera?
That would open up a world of possibilities, as guitar strings are better available over here.

That's interesting. So you are saying that for example d'Addario baritone strings are just the middle four guitar strings of a set? And the same for Martins etcetera?
That would open up a world of possibilities, as guitar strings are better available over here.

That's basically it. On the general level, the ukulele family is part of the "tie end instrument" family, which includes classical guitar, oud, requinto, etc..

As long as the gauges are comparable, you can easily use classical guitar strings on ukuleles.

Top Bottom