iPad instruments

GNUF Kris

Reaction score
Hey, I like to keep my feet firmly in two camps.

1) I like my acoustic instruments tech free. I only own acoustic ukes, I don't own anything that can be plugged in, I like a one mic technique where I stand in front of one condensor mic and mix sounds by moving in and out (well, that's the theory, I need to rehearse with a PA for this)

I also play musical saw, which by it's nature can only be played acoustically, and mic'd up with an SM57 (or similar) underneath it

2) I bloody love gadgets and own two iPads (one iPad 2 and an iPad Mini 2) and an iPhone. I've recently downloaded two apps "Chordion" and "Ondes"

Chordion is similar to an Omnichord (which I'd love, but I also don't have money to just throw away) and Ondes is like a touch screen theremin!

What I wanted to know, is what other iPad (or other tablet/phone) app instruments are out there, what would you recommend?

I LOVE TECH!

There are literally thousands of music apps out there. You'll have to narrow it down. What are you looking to do?

Garage Band is awesome on the iPad. Go to Instruments> Smart Strings. Play around in there. It is so much fun. Note the controls in the upper right (cinematic, pop etc) and the autoplay chords/ notes. You can record your performance. Select from violins, violas, cellos and basses.

–Lori

I occasionally play around with one simply called Autoharp. I paid extra so I could customize the chord bars.

- FiL

Nothing in particular. I want to know what people are using and why they love it!
Just a few then:
Guitar Tookilt - for working out uke chords and chord progressions away from the uke
NanoStudio - for producing complete song projects
JamUp Pro - effects and amp modeling
Multitrack DAW - recording and editing

I will just list some iOS apps I have, and tell you which I am actually using. I guess not all of them fit your original question, but maybe somebody else can use the information anyway ;).

I like JamUp a lot, I also have Tonestack and Amplitube, but I use JamUp, I might use Tonestack if it worked on a lower iOS version (my main music device is an iPod Touch 4G which can only run iOS6). I love Garageband too (it was mentioned above already), especially after the last update it is great.
Loopy is fun, but I mis the skills needed to use it I guess, I also own VoiceJam which has the same issue for me, which is called timing, but the app itself is also great. VoiceRackFX is good fun, much better then Vocalive in my opinion (which I also own). Sampletank and iKaossilator are fun to play with. I also think that Jam Synth is a great App, especially if you combine it (via Audiobus for instance) with JamUp and Sampletank, you can get things like Cello sounds automatically accompany your uke playing. I also love onSong which I use for my sheet music.
I have a bluetooth switcher, which I don't use live for some reason, but I like the idea of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom