PDA

View Full Version : The Doctor Who Thread

GNUF Kris
02-08-2016, 04:17 AM
Alongside stupid little toy guitars (I love ukes really) I also love Doctor Who, so lets have a Doctor Who thread!

How is everyone feeling about this gap year?

What are thoughts on Chris Chibnall?

Should Peter Capaldi stay on for Chris' first season or should he have a clean slate?

mikelz777
02-08-2016, 05:40 AM
I only know Doctor Who from the reboot on so my point of reference starts with Christopher Eccleston and ends with the latest season of Capaldi. All my knowledge of the magic, lore and history of the show starts and ends there so I don't have any concept of past Doctors other than seeing pictures or short clips of them after the fact. I think everyone has a soft spot for their first Doctor so I was disappointed Eccleston only lasted one season. I thought he was excellent in the role. He or Tennant are my favorite Doctors followed by Smith, then Capaldi. Capaldi placing last is not a bad thing in the least, I like him and think he's doing a great job, I just like him less than previous Doctors. Surprisingly, he took even longer for me to warm up to than Matt Smith who had Tennant's giant shoes to fill but I think a lot of that had to do with how the writers handled him in the first season. I think they were doing him a disservice spending so much time on Clara and Pink and the whole adjustment he and Clara were experiencing with the regeneration. Now on to your questions.

I don't like the long gap between seasons. It's like they are taking advantage of the loyal fan base who are most likely going to stick around regardless of how frequently or infrequently they are putting out shows. I think it certainly makes it more difficult for people who are new or just catching on to the show. With the long gaps you lose track of what's going on and lose the flow of the show.

I don't know enough about the new head of the show to form an opinion on whether it is a good, bad or neutral thing. I do think it was time for a change from Moffet. He wrote some great stuff but he seemed to be imposing a lot of himself onto the show.

I think Capaldi should stay on for Chibnall's first season. For me, the jury was still out on how I felt about Capaldi even after the entirety of the first season. There were glimpses of what he could be but they didn't fully come to fruition. I don't think it was until the 2nd season that he really stepped up and owned the role and proved himself. Again, I blame it more on on the writing for him his first season more than I blame it on Capaldi himself. I think anyone would have suffered under that first season writing.

GNUF Kris
02-09-2016, 01:02 AM
For me the gap between seasons doesn't concern me too much because it's giving them a chance to start showing it in Spring again. In the UK it's been a scheduling nightmare for ratings. Back in the Russel T Davies era, it was 7pm on a Saturday night for the first few series' and people knew where to find Doctor Who.

Since The Grand Moffat took over, the BBC put it to an Autumn launch where it had to be scheduled around Strictly Come Dancing (the British Dancing With The Stars) which naturally has a format that means the shows get shorter as the series continues, so the earlier episodes were later than episodes later in the series, unless they put something on before Strictly. Then they had to make it so it didn't clash with X Factor on ITV, or just let it clash with X Factor. And if it wasn't clashing with X Factor, it was clashing with Saturday night football (soccer) or the Rugby World Cup last year.

In Spring, it has nothing to compete against so badly, which makes it a more stable home for the show.

Furthermore, I'm confident that things will be okay, bear in mind that the BBC is showing great faith in the show as they're holding back this year, but have comitted to both 2017 and 2018, and Moffat said that the show was guatanteed for another 5 years!

jollyboy
02-09-2016, 06:16 AM
From a personal point-of-view I will miss the show while it is away. More objectively, I can see how taking a break might allow it to return somewhat freshened up and reinvigorated.

I would like to see Capaldi do at least one season with the new showrunner. I've always considered Moffat to be something of a curate's egg in regard to his involvement with DW. He has certainly done some excellent writing for it but, as showrunner, I believe he has allowed things to get rather overbaked at times. Byzantine season arcs bloated with way too much 'rule of cool' philosophy. I feel that Capaldi's Doctor can get a bit lost in all of this (as did Smith's). Not always - Capaldi absolutely rocked the single-hander that was 'Heaven Sent' and that is why I would like to see him continue under the new management. I feel he has more to give and might benefit from 'a new broom'.

jollyboy
02-09-2016, 06:54 AM
way too much 'rule of cool' philosophy...

GNUF Kris
02-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Definitely! I've loved some aspects of Moffat's Who, and what he has brought to the show, such as the Weeping Angels, and I loved the Vashta Nerada and would like to see them return! I do think Moffat's strenghts lied in writing standalone episodes.

I never really enjoyed his series finales which were like a kid with EVERY DOCTOR WHO MONSTOR TOY EVAH!

Admittedly in the Peter Capaldi series he's toned that down a bit, and I did love the return to Gallifrey, and the Zygon episodes (great speech from Capaldi in that one!)

Also, I enjoyed the guitar. It did just seem quite Doctorish. Hated the Sonic Shades. They can bugger off.

jollyboy
02-12-2016, 05:05 PM
Maybe we should start talking about which is the best make of string? :P

Inksplosive AL
02-12-2016, 08:28 PM
When I was young my first Doctor was number 4 "Tom Baker". You had to catch them on public network television Ch 13 and many times were forced to watch telethons to raise money through the one or two they would play. Along with different doctors we can variations on the theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnzcAFy8d8

I didn't give the actor after number 4 much of a chance and lost track until the series reboot. I agree that Chris Eccleston made a great doctor and I was miffed that he didn't get more of a run with it. I hated the next doctors all as they arrived and missed them as they departed. The use of modern effects with a larger budget is something I like very much. I never watched The Sarah Jane Adventures and I'll admit I thought her popping up on the new series quite a pull back to reality at my time spent here and not something I enjoyed. I did enjoy Torchwood but watched the series become child proofed as it became popular and rose in the British channel lineup. I guess as shows become popular they just trail off into nothingness.

Another great British show that has unfortunately ran its course already (not bad for binge watching though) is Misfits. Some very interesting concepts on that show although it might be a bit adult for some.

Barrytone
02-14-2016, 10:16 AM
I'm in my late sixties and have watched a lot of Dr.Who. The early years were interesting, wobbly scenery, terrible acting and aliens in furry costumes and cardboard armour. Some Doctors like Sylvester McCoy I found intensely irritating along with his constant stream of inane companions.
Tom Baker was by far the best of the early Doctors. His wild eyes were mesmerising and twinkled with mischief.
Of the new breed, each one has brought something different to the character, with Peter Capaldi demonstrating his immense charisma and acting ability.
One of the joys of this series is, Doctor Who can be anywhere, any-time and in any form. As long as there are mysteries in this universe and beyond, there will be a place for The Tardis to materialize and the philosophy and jokes to reflect the times.
Long may the last of the Time Lords travel at will.

Rllink
02-15-2016, 08:00 AM
My wife loves Dr. Who. I've tried for years to get into it, but I just can't. More times than not, somewhere in the slow climb to the crescendo that marks the anticlimactic end of each episode, I fall asleep.

GNUF Kris
02-16-2016, 01:26 AM
Long may the last of the Time Lords travel at will.

No longer the last of the time lords ;)

Also, how can anybody not like Sylvester McCoy!? (okay, I'm biased, he was my first Doctor as I remember being a kid in the mid 90s and seeing repeats of Remembrance of the Daleks, and being bloody terrified of them!)

jollyboy
02-16-2016, 04:13 AM
Weirdly McCoy's Doctor and companion Ace were one of the show's great pairings. Some peculiar synergy took place that somehow made the sum of the two of them together far greater than its individual parts. I found McCoy himself to be a bit of a mumbler and often had trouble understanding what he was saying.

I remember there being some seriously dodgy stories during this period - the one with the liquorice allsorts monster springs to mind - but also some rather good ones too... especially Rememberance :)

GNUF Kris
02-16-2016, 04:48 AM
Weirdly McCoy's Doctor and companion Ace were one of the show's great pairings. Some peculiar synergy took place that somehow made the sum of the two of them together far greater than its individual parts. I found McCoy himself to be a bit of a mumbler and often had trouble understanding what he was saying.

I remember there being some seriously dodgy stories during this period - the one with the liquorice allsorts monster springs to mind - but also some rather good ones too... especially Rememberance :)

the Happiness Patrol, the episode with Bertie Bassett... uhmm, I mean The Kandyman (sigh) was actually a good bit of satire about Herr Thatcher, but people just remember it for such a dodgy monster.

Remembrance of the Daleks is definitely up there with my top three classic Who stories

1) Tomb of the Cybermen - Patrick Troughton
2) Remembrance of the Daleks - Sylvester McCoy
3) Terror of the Autons - Jon Pertwee

All give me the fear in one way or another.

jollyboy
02-16-2016, 05:09 AM
All give me the fear in one way or another.

And there is the key I think - Doctor Who is at it's very best when it's trying to be absolutely bloody terrifying.

The Third Doctor was my first, at a very young age, and the giant maggots in The Green Death genuinely gave me nightmares. I was so upset that my mom seriously considered banning the show in our house and I had to beg her to let me keep watching.

The Green Death remains one of my favourite DW stories :)

Barrytone
02-16-2016, 05:49 AM
[QUOTE=GNUF Kris;1812704]No longer the last of the time lords ;)

This may be true depending on where and when; you (the observer) are in relation to the space time continuum occupied by The Doctor.
One premise of quantum theory states that; by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.

GNUF Kris
02-16-2016, 06:04 AM
No longer the last of the time lords ;)

This may be true depending on where and when; you (the observer) are in relation to the space time continuum occupied by The Doctor.
One premise of quantum theory states that; by the very act of watching, the observer affects the observed reality.

Wibbly wobbly.
Timey wimey.

Barrytone
02-16-2016, 09:28 AM
Wibbly wobbly.
Timey wimey.

Ah, there's a man who truly understands.

Booli
02-16-2016, 11:07 AM
When I was a kid, the Tom Baker series was on PBS now and then, but it seemed really slow to me back then compared to the Star Trek, Star Wars and other Sci Fi that I was into at the time, and I could never develop the patience to watch a full episode.

With the reboot in 2005, I REALLY loved David Tennant as the Dr., and later Matt Smith too. I also got into the Sarah Jane Chronicles and loved that series as well. Sad that Elizabeth Sladen got sick and passed away. She was a wonderful actress.

Peter Capaldi is different from the two previous incarnations of the Dr. that I mentioned above. At first he was too different, but he's been growing on me, and I quite like him now. I'm also a bit sweet on Clara.

Overall, I do not find the delays in the seasons a bother, because I stream everything, and I'm a bit behind anyway on purpose, so I'm not actually watching in realtime. I prefer to wait for a season to end, and then stream all the episodes of that season back-to-back over a 1-2 week period rather than wait for a week's delay between episodes.

Here in the USA, some shows have a months long intermission in the middle of a season, and it just kills me when they do this, for when they start the episodes again, the story continuity is completely destroyed for me because too much time has passed, and I have to go back and watch the previous one or two episodes before the new one, otherwise the story arc is too disconnected.

Maybe I'm getting old :old:, but marathon-watching is much more satisfying to me than the weekly or months-long interruptions.

GNUF Kris
02-16-2016, 10:20 PM
When I was a kid, the Tom Baker series was on PBS now and then, but it seemed really slow to me back then compared to the Star Trek, Star Wars and other Sci Fi that I was into at the time, and I could never develop the patience to watch a full episode.

With the reboot in 2005, I REALLY loved David Tennant as the Dr., and later Matt Smith too. I also got into the Sarah Jane Chronicles and loved that series as well. Sad that Elizabeth Sladen got sick and passed away. She was a wonderful actress.

Peter Capaldi is different from the two previous incarnations of the Dr. that I mentioned above. At first he was too different, but he's been growing on me, and I quite like him now. I'm also a bit sweet on Clara.

Overall, I do not find the delays in the seasons a bother, because I stream everything, and I'm a bit behind anyway on purpose, so I'm not actually watching in realtime. I prefer to wait for a season to end, and then stream all the episodes of that season back-to-back over a 1-2 week period rather than wait for a week's delay between episodes.

Here in the USA, some shows have a months long intermission in the middle of a season, and it just kills me when they do this, for when they start the episodes again, the story continuity is completely destroyed for me because too much time has passed, and I have to go back and watch the previous one or two episodes before the new one, otherwise the story arc is too disconnected.

Maybe I'm getting old :old:, but marathon-watching is much more satisfying to me than the weekly or months-long interruptions.

Yeah, Classic Who worked on a "serials" format, with some stories spanning about 8 half hour episodes! (possibly more!), I mean that when it was broadcast twice a week but still. I enjoy Classic Who stories but I watch them in a couple of goes.

I enjoy the week's wait on Doctor Who, especially when there is a cliffhanger on a two parter. I know The Doctor will win in the end, but I like not knowing how he's going to get himself out of that particular scrape. In a marathon session you don't get to enjoy that as much (I know because I binge watched Once Upon A Time on Netflix). I totally get where you're coming from on the mid season intermission, we have it here out of nessecity for the American import shows, for example I have no idea what last happened on The Flash, and I almost missed the return of Elementary (because my Sky+ [TiVo style thing] box didn't pick it up)

At least with Elementary each episode is a stand alone

Rllink
02-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Bring back Red Dwarf.

GNUF Kris
02-24-2016, 09:45 PM
They have

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf#Red_Dwarf_XI_and_XII

jollyboy
04-23-2016, 05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaLficIRInM

Awesome :D

UkingViking
04-24-2016, 12:14 AM
Oh, I didn't know about this thread :-)

Except for one old serial of a few episodes, I only saw the reboot. My girlfriend introduced me to it.
I quit watching after the first Capaldi season. Not Capaldis fault, but then"overbakedness" of the Moffat seasons, as someone called it.

The first episode with Capaldi was also the first episode of a season. And it started as one big oversentimental episode over the stuff happening in the previous episodes. Wtf? You don't start a season being sentimental. If you insist, you can make the last episode sentimental, but the first is supposed to be exciting, give thre adventorous vibe of doctor who and be looking forward. Hardcore fans will suck it up, but the series will not get new fans when the story is so busy being full of it self in stead of focusing on good storytelling.

To me the wibbly wobbly story of the Doctor and the Tardis is a good setting for exploring fun and scary universes with cool plots for each episode or serial, but in the last few seasons the Doctor and the Tardis has been the entire universe and plot.
Everything that goes on in any world they explore seems to be only because of the Doctor and an overbaked wibbly wobbly central plot.

I hope the new seasons will bring back focus to the individual worlds they explore.

Rllink
05-17-2016, 05:28 AM
Torchwood is turning into Dr. Who now. Dang, I liked Torchwood, but if it is going to be just another Dr. Who, I'm going to have to move on. I just can't stay awake for a show when the main plot is all the kids in the world going into a trance and chanting "we are coming".

AndrewF
06-06-2016, 07:02 AM
I've seen perhaps 6 episodes of Dr Who since 1981. Capaldi is the best I've seen since Baker, but things like his electric guitar playing spoil it.

You didn't expect Torchwood to be like Dr Who? I've never seen Torchwood, but since it's an anagram of Doctor Who, I'd have had my suspicions that there were going to be similarities!

Orton Pearson
11-17-2018, 11:01 AM
As a lifelong fan of Doctor Who I regard the current series as poorly scripted. Jodie Whittaker is OK but with 2 of the episodes set in Sheffield I would not have expected The (female) Doctor to have so easily been able to take charge of events. There could also be humour in that approach. As for villains from 'way out there' their motivation for coming to Earth has never really been substantially explained. Someone came from the future to attempt to prevent the Rosa Parks situation because its very long term effects were not wanted? Why would that be? There was no explanation.

Maybe there is a series ark such as when the person who became known as Missy was seen at the end of a few episodes welcoming a dead person to her domain. We did not know what this was about until the substantial 2 part end of the series.

QuickLJ
12-13-2018, 04:21 AM
It's the best British series ever!

khosango
12-16-2018, 05:59 PM
The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) is an alien Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey who travels through all of time and space in his TARDIS with his companion. Instead of dying, the Doctor is able to "regenerate" into a new body, taking on a new personality with each regeneration.

kerneltime
12-16-2018, 07:16 PM
I quite liked the first season and this is a major reboot, so give it a couple of seasons to get into shape. From my rough memory all first seasons of various incarnations were rough.

S11LKO
12-20-2018, 02:13 AM
I’ve been a fan of the series since the very first episode in 1963 (yes...I *AM* that bloody old - don’t keep reminding me! lol) and I’ve always loved it; warts and all.
During all that time, there have been both good and bad doctors, and good and bad episodes, but I’ve stuck with it and have generally enjoyed the series for over 50 years. (D’oh! There I go again reminding myself of my age...)
But I do feel that the series is about fantasy. Taking us away from reality. Just for 40 minutes each time helping us forget about our own troubles and those of the world around us. So I am not a big fan of the current episode trend of political correctness and showing us where the human race has gone wrong in the past - there are many other excellent TV programmes that remind us of that and I hope that one day we learn from our mistakes and all live together in harmony.

In the old classic series, a story line also ran over a few weeks of episodes with a cliff-hanger at the end of each. We couldn’t WAIT for next week’s episode to see what happened. I’ve always hoped they’d bring that back. Today’s episodes seem to spend 30 minutes building up the story and then the solution and ‘making it right’ seems to all happen far too quickly for my taste.
Still a great show though, and long may it live.

tonyturley
12-28-2018, 04:31 AM
My first Doctor was also Tom Baker, and also viewed on the local PBS station. I remember seeing a young Sara Jane, then watched her return on BBC America. For some reason, BBCA stopped carrying The Sara Jane Adventures after Season 2. It was sad to hear of Elisabeth's passing.

I’ve enjoyed the series ever since the reboot. Some episodes have been hokey, but others have been excellent. I’ve had some time off this week, so have been dipping into the Doctor Who Christmas Takeover a bit. Capaldi’s “Face the Raven”, “Hell Bent” and “Heaven Sent” were some of the best, as was “The Time of the Doctor”. “The Husbands of River Song” was somewhat silly, but the last ten minutes made the episode. The Tennant two-part “Family of Blood” episodes were good, and “Blink” is one of my all-time favorites. I enjoyed the long story arc with Smith, Rory, Amy, and River, and River’s appearance at Trensalore. I'm warming up to the new cast - we'll see where that leads.

I wish the seasons were longer, though. After the NYD special, there's about a 10 month gap. Makes it hard to keep continuity.

DymnDog
12-28-2018, 09:28 AM
I admit to becoming a fan after the 2005 reboot, and have enjoyed most of it since then. I’ve been able to bond with my daughter a bit as we both enjoy Doctor Who. I took her to the theater showing of last Christmas’s Special and we enjoyed doing something with just the two of us.
I like the new Doctor fine. It’s the new writers/producers who are making it hard to get through this season.

Dansimpson
12-28-2018, 11:07 AM
Ok, we've tried it, a female Doctor, that runs around waving a sonic screwdiver around like its her(his) removed penis, and it does more magic than a Harry Potter wand. Poor scripts have dragged this down to the point we need another regeneration...

mikelz777
12-28-2018, 12:14 PM
I can't say that I was a fan of changing the Doctor to a woman for no real reason other than, "It's about time." It was a total PC move that had nothing to do with continuing or advancing the Doctor's story. The PC cancer has been spreading in Doctor Who for some time now so it wasn't too surprising. (Though I was somewhat surprised that some faction wasn't clamoring over the choice of a white woman! :p) I enjoyed Michelle Gomez as the Master so since no one was going to stop this runaway PC train, I thought I'd give the new run a chance but with skeptical caution.

After the first two episodes I had to admit that I didn't hate Jodie Whittaker as the Doctor. I didn't even dislike her in the role and the companions were OK. There was a glimmer of hope that maybe this experiment would work out. I think things really started going south from there. The shows became a stage for PC/social justice issues. What was I going to be preached to or lectured about this week? I thought I was watching the show to be entertained and not to have the various show runners try to massage my opinion to conform to theirs. What made it worse was the clumsy, hammer to the head blatancy of their doing so, there was no art or finesse to it.

With the Doctor and three companions, things started to get a bit crowded and it was sometimes awkward finding something for everyone to do. Having seen the entire latest season to date, I'm not really buying in to Jodie W. as the Doctor. She and/or her portrayal seems to lack a certain presence or command. A large part of that may have to do with the writing (which is certainly lacking) but I can't discount that it might have something to do with changing the Doctor to a woman or that it may be due in part to her acting. I've seen her in other roles and enjoyed her acting there but I'm not convinced she is right for this role.

With the New Who, things really started slipping and the cracks were really showing starting with the Capaldi era. (In my opinion.) I grew less and less interested and more disappointed in general during his tenure and much more so now with Jodie W's tenure. I agree that a reboot is needed. I think new show runners are needed, one's who love, understand and respect the longstanding traditions of Doctor Who. The show needs sci-fi writers and need to ditch all of the PC/social justice agendas. And sorry Jodie but I'd like to see a new Doctor as well.

Orton Pearson
12-30-2018, 05:07 PM
After Chibnall has finished his tenure the next show runner should give us a 'Bobby Ewing' type re-boot. The series should begin with Clara waking up in the Tardis and saying to the (Peter Capaldi) Doctor "I've just had a terrible dream" and then tell us all about it, beginning her summary with the events of 'Face The Raven' and ending with the events of the last episode of the Chibnall era.

For me Peter Capaldi was the best of all the actors who have ever played the Doctor. Although in his era some scripts were of decent quality there were not enough in this category and thus the Capaldi era will not be regarded as the best.

Missy was great but I doubt that we will ever see her again because Moffat wrote her and I doubt that anyone else could write her as well as him. Of course Moffat's overall show runner tenure was much criticised. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6vvHprobZs

mikelz777
12-30-2018, 06:23 PM
I think that Capaldi got kind of screwed with his tenure on the show. During his whole first season it seemed like he took a back seat to the whole Clara/Pink debacle. They had no chemistry and I never bought into their relationship. Capaldi seemed to be an afterthought and I honestly don't think they knew what to do with him. Then the show saddled him with the ridiculous sonic sunglasses and the stupid electric guitar gimmicks, both little more than lame cliché’s for an older Doctor. The blatant PC/diversity/inclusivity agenda gave us new companion Bill, a lesbian woman of color who went by a man’s name. She seemed to be announcing that she was gay every other episode. She was OK as a companion but she would be at or near the bottom of my list for New Who companions. Capaldi did have some good episodes but in general, I don’t think the writers knew how to write for him entirely. I always had the feeling that he had unrealized potential that the writers never tapped. I think that Capaldi was better overall than what we saw on the show. I would like to have seen what R.T. Davies or early Steven Moffat would have done with him.

Orton Pearson
12-30-2018, 07:32 PM
I would like the Doctor to visit his / her grand-daughter Susan in Scotland. In the Big Finish BBC Radio stories she was married to a crofter in Scotland who got killed in seeing off the Daleks (in the Big Finish [Paul McGann Doctor] production), the original actress from the television series, Carol Ann Ford again playing her. These radio stories are recognised as canon with the television series. Let's see a television version of the Doctor visiting Susan.

The Big Finish stories are all new and use the surviving Doctors up to and recently including David Tennant (with their original surviving companions) and are done randomly, i.e. a Tennant story followed by a Davison then a Colin Baker then a Tom Baker etc. They go on sale to the general public and after a year or so they are broadcast on BBC Radio 4 Extra, which can also be heard live on the internet.

QuickLJ
01-03-2019, 02:27 AM
The best British series ever. Watching it on Christmas holidays was just awesome :)