Ozark Mandolele

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark howard

Reaction score
Yep, a Mandolele, half Uke, half Mandolin this is a new instrument as you will see from the youtube clip link, basically it was designed for Richard Harvey, who is also playing in the video clip he's playing the prototype, which is identical to the production model, which is what I am selling, it is a classic oval Mandolin shape but it has a wider neck and was designed specifically to be tuned Uke ( GCEA ) the strings are tune in pairs, this are pretty rare and only a few have been made, so you won't find many if any shops holding these in stock

so the top two strings nearest to your head are

wound low G/ steel high g - octave
wound low C/ steel high c - octave
wound low E/ steel high e - octave
steel high a/a unison

as Richard says in the video you can experiment with tuning for a different sound. link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJ204JU3yY

build quality is superb, it's cedar top back and sides and mahogany neck rosewood finger board, the gloss finish is beautiful, adjustable bridge/action very nice geared tuners, and ivoroid binding, front, back, soundhole and the finger board is also ivoroid bound.

I can send or upload more pics if needed

watch the youtube clip as Richard explains it much better, I paid £599
but will take any decent offer, reason for sale is simply I have gone over to the dark side of classical guitar pretty much full time, I can and will post some images as soon as possible

thanks Mark

Attachments

• oz1.jpg
    oz1.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 90
  • oz2.jpg
    oz2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 81
  • oz3.jpg
    oz3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 78
  • oz5.jpg
    oz5.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 111
  • oz6.jpg
    oz6.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
pics uploaded, there a bit grainy, if it looks like a reflection it is, the Mandolele is spotless, zero marks or scratches, just lovely, I am seriously open to all offers, as the money is going into some Classical guitar tuition/lessons.

thanks Mark

A smaller one would be insane!

Oh man, I've been dreaming about just such an instrument for a few years. I had no idea that someone was making them.

What is the scale length, and what kind of strings do you use? When I tried to convert a cheap Chinese "Portuguese" mandola to this tuning, I used Greek bouzouki strings, because they had the right relationships (capo a Greek 'zouk at the 7th fret, and it is GCEA) and they were loop-end strings.

- FiL

Hi FiL

the strings are mandolin strings, it's basically a re-designed mandolin with a wider neck, all 4 high strings g,c,e,a are steel gauge 10
low strings are G -gauge 36 C -gauge 24 E -gauge 24 or 22 it's very similar to playing a concert ukulele, forgot to say I can ship worldwide
but need to location for quote.

cheers Mark

Thanks for the answers, Mark. I didn't get it at first, but now it's clear: it's a mandolin outfitted to chord as a Uke. It sounds fantastic on the Youtube link.

Seriously guys and gals, make me an offer, it's got to go........;)

hardshell pod case is included, very sturdy hard case, faux fur lined, had a few enquiries, no takers as yet...

Hi Mark,

A few more questions for you...

Scale length? You said it was "similar to playing a concert". Does that mean it is concert scale?

Nut width?

Solid wood or laminate?

How's the intonation?

Do you any audio files of the actual instrument?

- FiL

Hi FiL,

Thanks for the questions and interest, intonation is great, I have tried a few sets of strings, and have it string with Elixir Mandolin strings at present
I have attached a new photo which hopefully answers all the question on scale and the comparison to a concert uke, always happy to answer more questions.

solid wood, cedar back, front, sides, and Mahogany neck I think, don't quote me, but it's definitely solid wood,
solid pod mandolin case, similar to a hiscox

Attachments

• ozark_comp.jpg
    ozark_comp.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
profile_beets.jpg My mandolele. Boat Paddle baritone body, soprano scale, tuned Gg, Cc, ee, aa. I love the sound.

Mark,

Thanks for answering my questions. I like everything about it except the scale length. I'm a tenor (and now bari) player, and a 14" scale is just too small for me.

- FiL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom