Baritone String Help Please

Pukin' Ukin'

Reaction score
I love my baritone but tuned properly the strings have a very low tension. Using martin baritone strings. Love their tenor strings Not so much love with their baritone strings.

Could anyone recommend baritone strings that may feel more like tenor strings in terms of tension?

Any completely Unwound sets of baritone strings?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

What's the scale length of the bari, what tuning are you using? I am using D'addario Titanium at the moment and they are plenty tight enough. Try cranking it up to Bb tuning if that would be an acceptable sound it will certainly give you more tension with your current strings.

I love my baritone but tuned properly the strings have a very low tension. Using martin baritone strings. Love their tenor strings Not so much love with their baritone strings.

Could anyone recommend baritone strings that may feel more like tenor strings in terms of tension?

Any completely Unwound sets of baritone strings?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

Both Living Water and Worth make nonwound baritone string sets.

Preferred string tension underfinger can be an "interesting" element to achieve. What feels tight to me might be floopy to you. I do have experience with the Martins and yes they felt a bit loose at DGBE but my baritones are tuned A or Bb so that tightens them up. Here is the determining factor most times with floro strings.......diameter. The Martin #1 strng was. 020" and the #2 string was. 023" which are indentical diameters to most floro tenor strings. That is why they feel floopy at the lower tuning of DGBE. Younneed larger diameters to get more tension.........most of the time......it can vary though.

Look at the string chart of Living Water and Worth strings. Worth Clear and Brown baritone strings are #1 string is 0.244" and #2 string is 0291, much larger in diameter.

Last edited:
If you're used to the high tension of tenor uke tuned GCEA, then pretty much any strings you try on a baritone tuned DGBE are going to feel a little floppy by comparison. Southcoast makes a heavy gauge linear string set that will give you good tension on DGBE tuning on a baritone, but it has two wound strings. (And at $25 with shipping, it ain't cheap!)

- FiL

I have Aquila red baritone strings on mine and put their nonwound singles on for the 3rd and 4th. It does sound thuddy and I want to tune up from standard DGBE to FBbDG but would the extra tension harm the uke?

I liked Aquila reds -- 2 wound and 2 unwound

I am using D'addario Titanium at the moment and they are plenty tight enough.

Cool. I ordered a set of the D'Addario Ti strings(arrived yesterday) for the Silvertone bari being shipped to me. (not arriving until Friday) =(

What do you like/dislike about the titanium strings?
Have you had any experience with Living Water bari strings? I am using Living Water low G for my tenor mango and thinking about getting a set for the bari.

I worked with the T2s for quite a while and enjoyed the tone, balance, tension and projection with them. They brightened up any baritone I tried them on. My one complaint was how squeaky the wounds are. I move up the neck a lot and I tend to brush the strings as I do to control volume.

I decided to try the southcoast set and feel the extra expense justified because it eliminated this problem. I had to do something similar with my tenor low g setup and a Fremont Soloist Low G string was the solution there.

Top Bottom