Hand sizes

Mivo

Reaction score
Sometimes in posts we write that our hands are small or big or average, but while practicing the 2413 Fmaj7 chord and pondering about wide stretches for picking, it occurred to me that I actually don't know what the average hand size actually is!

According to this site, the average hand sizes are:

Length:
172 mm (6.77 inches) for females
189 mm (7.44 inches) for males

Width:
74 mm (2.91 inches) for females
84 mm (3.30 inches) for males

I had wondered how one does measure that, and this picture from the above linked site shows that:

hand_size_diagram.jpg

So, what size are your hand, and what size of ukulele do you prefer?

Mine are (measured like above):

Length: 198 mm (7.78 inches)
Width: 97 mm (3.81 inches)
Index finger: 78mm/3.07" (measured from the first "wrinkled line" of the finger's base inside the palm to the tip without nail)

What's your hand size?

(Yes, women may participate, too!)

Is that really the thing to measure?
For me.. it's usually more like... the distance I can separate my pinky and my forefinger.

The more you play, the more your fretting hand will "open up". Many chords seem difficult at first, over time they become more playable.

Tis true! And over time you can stretch farther. I have an exercise to do to make the stretch get longer. But I'd have to do it for it to work.

I don't have a measuring device here at work but comparing my hand to a 8.5x11" sheet of paper, the length is about 3" shorter than the 8.5" side - so, that puts me firmly in the Below Average category.

ETA: found on online ruler! Length 5 5/8", width 2.5", and index 2.25".

I play sopranos and concerts but nothing larger.

When I was a little kid taking piano lessons, the kids would always brag about how far they could reach in terms of octaves. I didn't stick with it for long but I do remember how thrilled I was to *finally* be able to stretch a full octave, thumb to pinky. All the other kids had pretty much surpassed that by a bit, I was just happy to get there! Something like this can apply to uke too I think - I know when I first started playing my left hand could barely stretch enough to make a clean Bb chord in first position on a soprano, and now I can do that (and even a 4-fret stretch) on a concert uke with no problem. But there are still some first position 4-note chords that my hands are too small for (generally if the A and G are fretted, I'm not going to get everything in between) so I usually play the three notes I can reach easiest.

Last edited:
Tis true! And over time you can stretch farther. I have an exercise to do to make the stretch get longer. But I'd have to do it for it to work.

Hahahaha, ain't it true!!!

Mine measurements are:

Length 7.375"
Width 3.75"
Index 2.75"

I feel like a teenager again!! Nevermind...:eek:

You'll have to do your own conversion for millimeters.:)

You know what they say about men with big hands........................................they wear big gloves. I am not tellin' my size, too personal :p

I play mainly tenor and don't have large hands. I have met Jake many times and noticed that his hands are not very large, they may be smaller than mine. Jake maybe stands five foot six and probably weighs no more than 140. I do notice that he has tremendous flexibility and can spread way further than I could ever hope to.

What's really wierd.. is once you streatched, and compare your left hand span to your right hand...
I can span almost an inch more on my fret hand than my strum hand.

Coming from metric territory:
215mm length
96mm width
85mm index.
Mainly a baritone DGBE player because I like the sound, but find the soprano the easiest to play by far, the pinky still hurts sometimes though.

Slightly above average here (195 mm x 95 mm), and I mostly play concerts. My left (fretting) hand definitely stretches wider than my right.

200mm(7.875") X90mm(3.543"). Index: 80mm(3.149"). So a little larger than average but the problem I have is squeezing my fingertips into 'tight' chord shapes.

According to the OP, I have a larger-than-average hand for a female, at just over 7" or 18cm long and 3 3/4 or 8.5cm wide. Reach from tip of thumb to tip of pinky is 8" or 21.5cm - on both hands, no difference there. Still I struggle to play above concert and couldn't handle the scale of an Ohta-San even.
I've got some overuse injury problems though, so can't ask too much of my hands.

200mm(7.875") X90mm(3.543"). Index: 80mm(3.149"). So a little larger than average but the problem I have is squeezing my fingertips into 'tight' chord shapes.

My measurements to within a mm or so! ... with the same comment about the "tight" chord shapes. With all four fingertips on my fretting hand held tight together, but not overlapping, it's 50mm between the centre of my index finger to the centre of my little finger ;)

Well I officially have 'man hands'...well actually above average 'man hands'! My measurements are 195mm hand size and 90mm width but then again it figures as I am a tall chick at just over 6 foot tall :p I only have a concert but I haven't had a problem with reach for tenors/baritones I have test-uked in the shops. I do find certain chords squeezy!

Seems like I'm just over average, 7 1/2" x 3 1/2" (3 1/8" index).

I find the concert scale the easiest scale - tenor is just slightly a stretch too far for comfort (but I don't use a strap).
(Not tried a baritone as it is too guitar like in size for me & is a different tuning.)

Problem is I like the soprano size & have to squeeze my fingers in without muting other strings, which is getting easier as my finger tips have hardened up.
(Don't know if I can finger chords properly on the soprano as I mainly pick out the melodies.)

:cool:

Geez , mine are 8 inches by 3 7/8 inches and I play soprano. When I buy gloves the xlarge are usually tight. There are a few chords I thought I would never play cleanly but with practice they are no problem at all. I have big hands and big feet , two out of three isnt bad. :drool:

Last edited:
len: 215mm
width: 90mm
index: 89mm

i'm mainly a soprano player, but i definitely find a 1.5inch width nut easier to play. Playing an islander tenor has helped me with my fingering on soprano. I'n thinking I might be happy with an islander concert as the tenor requires a bit much for some chords.

Top Bottom