Ono ~16" concert NUD

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
SOUND SAMPLES ADDED TO POSTS #8 & #39

I received my Ono last Thursday Feb. 2 and have had some time to shake it out a little bit. Build details as follows

Concert with a 16" scale length
Side sound port
Port Orford cedar top
Curly claro walnut back & sides
Curly maple binding and tail graft
Headplate of same curly walnut and maple
Mahogany neck
Streaked ebony fingerboard and bridge

Strings are South Coast ML-WB, which are low G medium linear with wound 3rd & 4th.

20160211_094102.jpg20160211_093755.jpg20160211_093735.jpg20160210_084450.jpg20160210_083416.jpg

Last edited:
As anybody that has had David build them a ukulele will tell you he is a great guy to work with. He communicates open and freely and you can tell he really loves what he does. His attention to detail is very strict and earns him the reputation of having a "clean" look.

20160210_084036.jpg20160210_084022.jpg20160210_084001.jpg20160210_083834.jpg20160210_083755.jpg

I heard your sound sample in your other post and thought I had missed your NUD! I was happy to see this post so I could see the pics. Once again David has made a gem of a ukulele! It is not only sounds amazing but is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! I am sure you will continue to enjoy it!!

David is was also open to doing "custom" features and dimensions, something not all builder like to do. I like a deeper neck and gave David the depth of my LfdM neck ( similar to Pono ) and he did it. I also requested larger diameter fretwires and large diameter side dots and again David came through. Those three items make a world of difference in playability for me. My Pono, Webber and LfdM are all similar.

1455204548200.jpg1455204633219.jpg20160210_083617.jpg20160210_083320.jpg20160210_083604.jpg

Last edited:
A very beautiful addition to your collection. I would like to hear an in depth review after you have played it for a while.
Congratulations Dave.

Oh seriously, a vote for the big side markets from all the old blind guys (and gals) out there. Thank you, a brilliant idea!!!

Davis was also open to doing "custom" features and dimensions, something not all builder like to do. I like a deeper neck and gave David the depth of my LfdM neck ( similar to Pono ) and he did it. I also requested larger diameter fretwires and large diameter side dots and again David came through. Those three items make a world of difference in playability for me. My Pono, Webber and LfdM are all similar.

View attachment 88278View attachment 88279View attachment 88280View attachment 88281View attachment 88282

First class instrument! Just love the looks. My turn is coming close and this is REALLY close to what I am hoping to get built.

How do you like the 16in scale compared to a standard concert?

Glad it finally arrived, David. I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years. I second everything you say about working with David, including custom neck specs (I went for a Collings-esque neck shape). I believe Ono to be an exceptional value in a custom instrument.

@ Natchez, Thanks for the nice words I am enjoying it

@ WCBarnes, I am tech challenged so I did a test sound sample in the other forum first. I am impressed with the sound as well. It has a big sound for a concert body, which is what I was hoping for. Thanks much.

@Hollis, I will definitely do a review after a while but I can tell you already this is a keeper. It has ticked all the boxes, even with my departure from tenor and baritone. I was worried it might not give me the full sound I like (guitarish) but it does and playability is excellent.

@Still Water, The curly walnut was the thing that set this whole build it progress. When I first contacted David I asked about curly claro walnit and he showed me a picture. I said "Here take my money", lol

@Bilten, Yes BIG side dots for old tired eyes help enormously. I need all the help I can get, got any spare fingers.

@Eddie, my co-poopah (people are scratching their heads) You are right on all counts regarding Ono.Having the exact neck size you like makes a HUGE difference.

First class instrument! Just love the looks. My turn is coming close and this is REALLY close to what I am hoping to get built.

How do you like the 16in scale compared to a standard concert?

I was very concerned about this scale length not giving me as much room as I am use to. I have settled on tenors and baritones. I have a super soprano and an Opio concert that gets rarely played because of the short fret spacing. But the Ono 16" is great, feels so close to a tenor, espiecially in the first 5 frets. I have been playing this almost exclusively and when I grabbed a tenor then went back to the Ono it was almost seamless.

Congratulations Dave! Boy oh boy, what a wonderful instrument, it looks and sounds fabulous, enjoy it my friend. I am also a big fan of larger fret wire and larger fret markers, these details have taken me many years to discover, you have done it in a matter of months!

Congratulations, Dave! Love the wood grain and the design, really beautiful. :)

Stunning looking, great sounding ... 5% happy for you and 95% jealous ... lol.

So happy for you and I look forward to giving that new beauty a heavy strumming! We will have to have a NUD get together ... lol.

Stunning looking, great sounding ... 5% happy for you and 95% jealous ... lol.

So happy for you and I look forward to giving that new beauty a heavy strumming! We will have to have a NUD get together ... lol.

I figured that was the real reason you refused to come over tonight and play it. You don't want to show up "empty handed". A NUD Party it shall be then :p

@Camsuke, Thanks Campbell I am very pleased with it. Buying and trying a lot of ukes in a short period of time has allowed me to find out what works best for myself, no doubt about it.

@Mivo, glad to see you back on the boards and making yourself heard. How is the lovely Barron River.........those are high up on my radar.

@moutaingoat, Hey Jon you know you were instrumental in steering me towards Ono and curly claro walnut, Thanks brother.

Last edited:
Congratulations from the (currently) arctic mid-Atlantic USA -- those curly walnut back and sides look incredible.

Top Bottom