PDA

View Full Version : Ono ~16" concert NUD

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 04:15 AM
SOUND SAMPLES ADDED TO POSTS #8 & #39

I received my Ono last Thursday Feb. 2 and have had some time to shake it out a little bit. Build details as follows

Concert with a 16" scale length
Side sound port
Port Orford cedar top
Curly claro walnut back & sides
Curly maple binding and tail graft
Headplate of same curly walnut and maple
Mahogany neck
Streaked ebony fingerboard and bridge

Strings are South Coast ML-WB, which are low G medium linear with wound 3rd & 4th.

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 04:22 AM
As anybody that has had David build them a ukulele will tell you he is a great guy to work with. He communicates open and freely and you can tell he really loves what he does. His attention to detail is very strict and earns him the reputation of having a "clean" look.

natchez
02-11-2016, 04:27 AM
Very nice looking instrument. Enjoy!

WCBarnes
02-11-2016, 04:27 AM
I heard your sound sample in your other post and thought I had missed your NUD! I was happy to see this post so I could see the pics. Once again David has made a gem of a ukulele! It is not only sounds amazing but is absolutely beautiful! Congratulations! I am sure you will continue to enjoy it!!

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 04:33 AM
David is was also open to doing "custom" features and dimensions, something not all builder like to do. I like a deeper neck and gave David the depth of my LfdM neck ( similar to Pono ) and he did it. I also requested larger diameter fretwires and large diameter side dots and again David came through. Those three items make a world of difference in playability for me. My Pono, Webber and LfdM are all similar.

hollisdwyer
02-11-2016, 04:38 AM
A very beautiful addition to your collection. I would like to hear an in depth review after you have played it for a while.
Congratulations Dave.

Still Water Weapons
02-11-2016, 04:46 AM
That is a nice looking uke! I really like that curly back. Looks like he did a wonderful job on it. Congrats!

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 04:53 AM
https://app.box.com/s/cebatq7z5pxordonipy70bnqjk8y2qpd

https://app.box.com/s/bck17b2szz6act8uglutgtiknvg69y4p

Here are two quick sound samples I recorded on my phone. I like the sound of this uke a lot. I am an unabashed tenor fan but decided to try this size for a change. I really like the room a tenor fretboard gives me, a regular concert is too cramped for me past the 5th fret. This 16" scale length is wonderful with room very similar to a 17" scale length tenor.

billten
02-11-2016, 05:41 AM
Oh seriously, a vote for the big side markets from all the old blind guys (and gals) out there. Thank you, a brilliant idea!!!

Davis was also open to doing "custom" features and dimensions, something not all builder like to do. I like a deeper neck and gave David the depth of my LfdM neck ( similar to Pono ) and he did it. I also requested larger diameter fretwires and large diameter side dots and again David came through. Those three items make a world of difference in playability for me. My Pono, Webber and LfdM are all similar.

iDavid
02-11-2016, 05:50 AM
First class instrument! Just love the looks. My turn is coming close and this is REALLY close to what I am hoping to get built.

How do you like the 16in scale compared to a standard concert?

Ukulele Eddie
02-11-2016, 05:51 AM
Glad it finally arrived, David. I hope you continue to enjoy it for many years. I second everything you say about working with David, including custom neck specs (I went for a Collings-esque neck shape). I believe Ono to be an exceptional value in a custom instrument.

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 09:59 AM
@ Natchez, Thanks for the nice words I am enjoying it

@ WCBarnes, I am tech challenged so I did a test sound sample in the other forum first. I am impressed with the sound as well. It has a big sound for a concert body, which is what I was hoping for. Thanks much.

@Hollis, I will definitely do a review after a while but I can tell you already this is a keeper. It has ticked all the boxes, even with my departure from tenor and baritone. I was worried it might not give me the full sound I like (guitarish) but it does and playability is excellent.

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 10:06 AM
@Still Water, The curly walnut was the thing that set this whole build it progress. When I first contacted David I asked about curly claro walnit and he showed me a picture. I said "Here take my money", lol

@Bilten, Yes BIG side dots for old tired eyes help enormously. I need all the help I can get, got any spare fingers.

@Eddie, my co-poopah (people are scratching their heads) You are right on all counts regarding Ono.Having the exact neck size you like makes a HUGE difference.

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 10:11 AM
First class instrument! Just love the looks. My turn is coming close and this is REALLY close to what I am hoping to get built.

How do you like the 16in scale compared to a standard concert?

I was very concerned about this scale length not giving me as much room as I am use to. I have settled on tenors and baritones. I have a super soprano and an Opio concert that gets rarely played because of the short fret spacing. But the Ono 16" is great, feels so close to a tenor, espiecially in the first 5 frets. I have been playing this almost exclusively and when I grabbed a tenor then went back to the Ono it was almost seamless.

Camsuke
02-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Congratulations Dave! Boy oh boy, what a wonderful instrument, it looks and sounds fabulous, enjoy it my friend. I am also a big fan of larger fret wire and larger fret markers, these details have taken me many years to discover, you have done it in a matter of months!

Mivo
02-11-2016, 10:20 AM
Congratulations, Dave! Love the wood grain and the design, really beautiful. :)

sam13
02-11-2016, 11:29 AM
Stunning looking, great sounding ... 5% happy for you and 95% jealous ... lol.

So happy for you and I look forward to giving that new beauty a heavy strumming! We will have to have a NUD get together ... lol.

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Stunning looking, great sounding ... 5% happy for you and 95% jealous ... lol.

So happy for you and I look forward to giving that new beauty a heavy strumming! We will have to have a NUD get together ... lol.

I figured that was the real reason you refused to come over tonight and play it. You don't want to show up "empty handed". A NUD Party it shall be then :p

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 11:58 AM
@Camsuke, Thanks Campbell I am very pleased with it. Buying and trying a lot of ukes in a short period of time has allowed me to find out what works best for myself, no doubt about it.

@Mivo, glad to see you back on the boards and making yourself heard. How is the lovely Barron River.........those are high up on my radar.

@moutaingoat, Hey Jon you know you were instrumental in steering me towards Ono and curly claro walnut, Thanks brother.

good_uke_boy
02-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Congratulations from the (currently) arctic mid-Atlantic USA -- those curly walnut back and sides look incredible.

Nickie
02-11-2016, 12:07 PM
Congratulations David!
What a gorgeous uke! I've only seen one other walnut built uke, and it was stunning too.
I know you'll enjoy that Ono.
You're really tempting my UAS.
:drool:

rappsy
02-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Beautiful Dave. Fantastic David. Love the side contrasts of the different woods. That's saying a bunch when you compare it to the Weber and LfDM that I know you love.

hollisdwyer
02-11-2016, 03:44 PM
@Mivo, .... How is the lovely Barron River.........those are high up on my radar.

Allen (Barron River) just made up 3 16" Concerts. One was ordered by a friend on the East Coast (Oz) and the other two are for sale right now on his website. Remember the dollars quoted are Australian Peso's (A$1=US$.70). Don't know the A$/C$ exchange rate.

DownUpDave
02-11-2016, 04:19 PM
@ good uke boy, We are in the middle of a big freeze up here as well. Your new MB will keep you warms, thanks for the nice words

@ Nickie, I really do like the walnut. Your beautiful cocobolo should cure your UAS once it arrives. When is the big day?

@ Lenny, David does such a great job and has a very artistic eye. For the record the LfdM and Webber have the large fret wires, deeper neck and big side dots. That is what I used to give examples of for David to follow. This is a great uke but the LfdM still holds top spot. I will always be a tenor man, love the big deep sound. The Ono is close.

Jim Hanks
02-11-2016, 04:28 PM
It's a looker for sure! My bari is getting very close to completion now as well. I'll be kinda sad for the process to end - well almost. :nana:

dirtiestkidever
02-11-2016, 08:27 PM
The sustain is incredible. I bet those notes are still ringing. Quite a looker too.

bonesoup
02-11-2016, 10:07 PM
What a beauty. Love that rosette in particular. Congrats, Dave! Play the heck out of it.

Peace Train
02-11-2016, 11:23 PM
That build turned out real nice with an overall look that's quite classy. Love the fretboard and rosette. Sounds fantastic too. Congratulations and enjoy!

Jim Hanks
02-12-2016, 01:31 AM
Quick listen on iPad speakers, the sound samples seem quite "bright". Do you agree? I wonder if that's the POC top, wound strings, probably some combo.

DownUpDave
02-12-2016, 02:11 AM
@Jim Hanks, The excitement of waiting is fun, so is communicating with David, Trust me when I tell you, holding and playing it is even more fun. I am really looking forward to hearing all about your baritone. What woods are you using.

@dirtestkidever, Hey Doug thanks for the kind words. It really does ring out and sustain big time, South Coast strings help

@bonesoup, Dan the fretboard was David's doing and a nice suprise. I had seen that "infinitey rosette" on one of his early ukes and asked him to do one for me. He of course picked the wood and design. I am a firm believer in letting the luthier do his own thing. You just stand back and get pleasantly suprised.

@peacetrain, Thanks for mentioning the sound quality as I think it really sounds wonderful. Much better than I can make it sing........but it gives me something to aspire to.

DownUpDave
02-12-2016, 02:16 AM
Quick listen on iPad speakers, the sound samples seem quite "bright". Do you agree? I wonder if that's the POC top, wound strings, probably some combo.

Jim the sound is actually on the warm side, just a bit. It does have really clear high notes, combo of strings and the piece I was playing. The chord melody was using a lot of e & a string runs which sound bright.

I will put up a strumming piece so you can hear the full spectrum. I should have done something like that initially.

hollisdwyer
02-12-2016, 02:45 AM
Dave, I finally checked out the sound files. Yes the Ono sounds really nice. I'd be happy to own one myself. I particularly liked your arrangement and playing of Here Comes the Sun. Did you just sus that out or do you have the tab?

mm stan
02-12-2016, 03:39 AM
Congratulations, its a beautiful uke and nice craftsmanship. .love walnut claro too, happy strummings

Rakelele
02-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Congratulations, my friend! What a wonderful wood combination and a simple, yet ellegant design - just the way I like it. Lovely sound samples, too: Starry Night and Here Comes the Sun. I hope this brings you loads of joy.

DownUpDave
02-13-2016, 01:37 AM
Dave, I finally checked out the sound files. Yes the Ono sounds really nice. I'd be happy to own one myself. I particularly liked your arrangement and playing of Here Comes the Sun. Did you just sus that out or do you have the tab?

Thanks for the compliments Hollis. "Here Comes the Sun" was an arrangment I found on line. PM me your email address and I will send it to you if you like.

DownUpDave
02-13-2016, 01:41 AM
@mm stan, I know you are a fan of walnut so that makes us brothers from very different climates, about -10 right now :p

@Rakelele, Ranier thanks a lot for the generous comments. I know you have a "herd" of high quality classy instruments. Pono steel string tenor guitar is calling our names

DownUpDave
02-13-2016, 02:09 AM
There have been a few questions regarding the difference between this Ono 16" scale length concert and a regular 15 " concert. I find the extra length between fret wires noticeable and helpful for me as I play mostly tenors.

These pictures show the 16" Ono with a standard 15" Koaloha concert. First pic shows neck length difference. Second, Ono on bottom fret wire to fret wire. Third shows Koaloha 3-3/4" from nut to fifth fret wire and the Ono with a length of 4" from nut to fifth fret wire

DownUpDave
02-13-2016, 02:19 AM
Here is another sound sample I had promised Jim Hanks with some strumming and other varied pieces. It does give a better representation of the over all sound.

Because I know Jim will ask this was recorded with just Samsung S4 phone with the Zoom Hn2 plugged into the earphone jack as an external mic. Totally raw, just like my playing :p, no effects added

https://app.box.com/s/vcxzbi6yi6q92s6vtt9pfcqlv2mlb2g1

Dan Uke
02-13-2016, 02:43 AM
uke sounds really good. congrats on another uke!

DownUpDave
02-14-2016, 12:34 PM
uke sounds really good. congrats on another uke!

Thanks Daniel I am glad you think it sounds really good.......you have some of the very best ukes in your possession. Yes it is "another" uke but a different size and different woods that I have never tried. It has been a successful experiment.

sam13
02-17-2016, 03:42 PM
I had a chance to play this beauty last night and let me tell you .... :drool:

It is a tremendous Uke: Tone, clarity, sustain, craftsmanship. What a fabulous instrument!

I have to say now after playing the 16" Concert ... I think this is my new Super Soprano size ... lots of fun, great finger spacing ... and great tone up the neck!

Congrats, buddy.

rappsy
02-17-2016, 04:09 PM
I had a chance to play this beauty last night and let me tell you .... :drool:

It is a tremendous Uke: Tone, clarity, sustain, craftsmanship. What a fabulous instrument!

I have to say now after playing the 16" Concert ... I think this is my new Super Soprano size ... lots of fun, great finger spacing ... and great tone up the neck!

Congrats, buddy.

You just want to make sure you use really light tuners, as the 16 inch neck on a soprano body will make it very top heavy. Whatever you can do to reduce the top weight will help you hold it better, especially when you are not using a strap.

Jim Hanks
02-17-2016, 04:45 PM
16 inch neck on a soprano body will make it very top heavy.
Has anyone actually made one yet? I know of two builders willing to try but I gave up the quest after getting my 16" Coco concert. There are a couple of 17" soprano options as well.

DownUpDave
02-18-2016, 12:46 AM
Hey rappsy and Jim Hanks

What Simon (sam13) meant about the super soprano comment was this 16" concert will replace the super soprano as his small size uke of choice.

Simon you made it sound real good with your excellent playing. It is always revealing to listen to someone else play your instrument and I couldn't be happier.