Maui Swap meet in Lahaina- any ukuleles

ZappCatt

Reaction score
Is the Sunday Swap meet in Lahaina worth stopping by to look for ukuleles?

I quickly walked through it a few years ago, but was not looking for them at the time.

Good question, but frankly the vendors often shift merchandise with seasons. Not much help, but there are also many other changes taking place on island. Basically, what was - might not be anymore, but what wasn't just might be. You might have better luck at the big Saturday swap meet in Kahului.

There are craft fairs held regularly at Kaanapali Beach hotel, all vetted, but even if no ukes, wood is wood and talking story reveals a lot. Crafts same at Kaanapali Shores, not as often. Craft fair under Banyan tree, still my brain does not recall ukes. Again, things change. Many changes on Front St this year and beyond.
Under the assumption that you are searching for less costly instruments, many of the gift shops have them.

Basically, what was - might not be anymore, but what wasn't just might be.

great line...:shaka:

my favorite: "maybe, maybe not"

Oahu's swap meet is probably the best place to find them. There's one vendor in the Kahului one. He also has some Kanilea and Ko Aloha.
Not much used though.

Thanks for all the feedback.

We will only be on Maui, otherwise I would definately check out the K factories and Oahu swap meet. We stay up in Kaanapali, and Saturday is our arrival/departure day, so will not be able to make it to the Saturday swap meet.

I don't really expect/hope to find a cheap diamond in the rough, was just looking for different places to talk and listen to Uke outside of a retail store environment or the uke jam(which I might try to make it to) And no, I will not be buying a Uke from the ABC store.

Thanks again for all the info. I will check out the Kaanapali craft fairs mentioned.

Oh come on. Not from the ABC store? Even if you find one with a snow globe attached to the headstock? ;)

Have a great trip! I haven't been to Maui in years. Would love to go back.

The shops take in trades, don't list them online, they welcome test drives, and talk story.
When on island, check the good ol newspaper and craigs list.
Uncertain of the timeframe, but often festivals have music.
If you are bringing your instrument, park yourself under the Banyan Tree or in any park and play til your fingers scream. Churches have jam sessions.
See the Masters of Slack Key show in Napili, it's alll good.

Have a great trip! (I am counting the days until my trip.) Aloha

The last time I went to that one I got some great deals on Aloha shirts. I also bought a beautiful Koa and bone fishhook necklace and my wife a bone twist pendant necklace directly from the native artist, which we both wear daily. Some beautiful local artwork can be found there too, and we came back with a couple of large paintings that now hang in our living room. Sadly, the only Ukes I saw there looked fantastic from a distance but turned out to be a micro thin layer of Koa over some pretty rough cut thick plywood.
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Top Bottom