My first build!

SkiAloha

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

The strings have been on this uke for about 12 hours. I used the HanaLima kit, but broke the sides they sent, so I milled up some zebra wood. Of course I love the sound of my first build, so I'll wait till other people confirm that it sounds good, but I will say that it is quite a bit louder than my Kanilea. I am already dreaming about my next build.

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge and expertise that I found on this site. Whether I contacted you directly or not, if you posted in the last six months, I probably read your post. Thank you for your help.

I made tons of mistakes in this build, and since this is a celebratory post, I won't go into them here - but you can be sure that I learned from the process that you need to do it a lot to gain even a modicum of proficiency, let alone mastery. My hat goes off to those of you who ply your hands professionally. I dream of a time when I might get the chance to follow in your footsteps. For now, I remain a humble apprentice and home-builder.

Sincerely,
SkiAloha - Steve Melamed (A ski instructor in Vermont)
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

From what I see, it looks like you're off to a great start! I look forward to seeing your next creation.

Bob

Steve, I'm on my first build, and also made many mistakes learning along the way, but if it turns out half as good as yours, I'll be happy.Well done. Mike

Looks great, glad you are happy with the way it sounds and that you are already thinking about the next one. It can be a very absorbing hobby.

I wonder if there's someone in a workshop making ukes dreaming of being a ski instructor in Vermont?

Looks fabulous. I can say my first build didn't look nearly that good. By a mile. But then again you Vermonters are a handy bunch in my experience. Sound port on first build???...Pictures are a little small. But, as they say, how does it sound?

Top Bottom