PDA

View Full Version : My first build!

SkiAloha
02-12-2016, 02:29 AM
Hello everybody,

The strings have been on this uke for about 12 hours. I used the HanaLima kit, but broke the sides they sent, so I milled up some zebra wood. Of course I love the sound of my first build, so I'll wait till other people confirm that it sounds good, but I will say that it is quite a bit louder than my Kanilea. I am already dreaming about my next build.

Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge and expertise that I found on this site. Whether I contacted you directly or not, if you posted in the last six months, I probably read your post. Thank you for your help.

I made tons of mistakes in this build, and since this is a celebratory post, I won't go into them here - but you can be sure that I learned from the process that you need to do it a lot to gain even a modicum of proficiency, let alone mastery. My hat goes off to those of you who ply your hands professionally. I dream of a time when I might get the chance to follow in your footsteps. For now, I remain a humble apprentice and home-builder.

Sincerely,
SkiAloha - Steve Melamed (A ski instructor in Vermont)

Vespa Bob
02-12-2016, 04:49 AM
From what I see, it looks like you're off to a great start! I look forward to seeing your next creation.

Bob

mikeyb2
02-12-2016, 05:00 AM
Steve, I'm on my first build, and also made many mistakes learning along the way, but if it turns out half as good as yours, I'll be happy.Well done. Mike

JustVince
02-12-2016, 05:30 AM
Beautiful work Steve, -Vince

greenscoe
02-12-2016, 09:12 PM
Looks great, glad you are happy with the way it sounds and that you are already thinking about the next one. It can be a very absorbing hobby.

I wonder if there's someone in a workshop making ukes dreaming of being a ski instructor in Vermont?

morande23
05-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Looks Great Steve, I never got to see/play the finished project. Hopefully someday!

Hope you are doing well.

-Peter

sequoia
05-08-2016, 05:47 PM
Looks fabulous. I can say my first build didn't look nearly that good. By a mile. But then again you Vermonters are a handy bunch in my experience. Sound port on first build???...Pictures are a little small. But, as they say, how does it sound?

ksquine
05-09-2016, 06:58 AM
looks too nice for a first build