Your 'best' laminate uke of each size

billten

Reaction score
We all have different ideas on the 'right' sound for our perfect uke and because it is the middle of winter with about 10% humidity in my apartment right now i was wondering what everyone's take is on their best laminate uke. Price doesn't matter and if you want we can include a solid top and laminate back and sides, so here's mine (without doing a ton of research):

Soprano - easy choice, kiwaya KS anything, for me a clear winner in the soprano category
Concert - Flea because it's a flea, i mean come on...
Tenor - Gretch 9120, great tone and finish
Bari - really tough one, don't have a selection

What are yours?

Soprano - Martin OXK HPL
Concert - Luna solid spruce top

(I edited my answer because I was hijacking the thread.)

Last edited:
All my Ukes are plywood now, except that my baritone has a solid spruce top. I like 'em all, except I don't care for the look of the spruce top--too plain.

I don't play well enough to be choosy about their sound, and I'm done buying Ukes. Now I have BAS! :eek:ld:

Soprano-Aria[vintage Japanese]
Tenor-Islander AT-4[Kanilea] Kmise - [$50] close 2nd
I also have a Lanikai LU-8 that sounds pretty awesome

Does a Risa stick count? It's one I don't have to worry about humidifying. Otherwise, my only laminate right now is a 60's Harmony baritone. These are the only 2 that don't spend the majority of their time in a case at this time of year.

I've got a Martin OXK on my list to acquire if I come across a used one at some point.

Kiwaya ks 5 soprano
Islander AC-4 concert

I own two laminates so those two are my favorites :p

Bill I do own your tenor pick, the Gretsch 9120, first uke I bought and a keeper.
The other laminate is a Islander AS-4 which is a long neck soprano that has suprised many people with its sweet tone.

It is my car-uke

20150908_155210.jpg

Last edited:
The best all lam I ever had was a Kala KA-C
My mate has a Boulder Creek Riptide tenor that is wonderful, for $140!

I have an EddyFinn concert TRVL (for travel) that has a rich full bodied sound and plays in tune all the way up the neck. I have made two modifications to it. Goodbye geared geared tuners that stick out the sides..hello short bodied PEGHEDS, and it is strung through the body and the block on the back of the bridge was completely removed. Their Lacewood soprano and tenor have good playability, and drop dead gorgeous wood. I don't know why I didn't get a concert. Probably because I got a solid mahogany with a side port.

I can only speak from my experience with a soprano, and it would be my Martin 0XK.......great ukulele!

Sop. Gretsch G9100 Truly amazing! Honorable mention Amahi UK120 for the money is crazy good.

Baritone Amahi B220 Still looking for the "right" strings, but has the potential.

Ah, a great topic for me in very dry desert Arizona. I try to stick to laminates myself.
Agreed on the Kiwaya KS-anything laminate. I actually have the budget-line Famous versions and they're great. Probably the best of them all.
I do need a concert or another tenor (the Outdoor Uke tenor is very good but I'm sure there's better).
I like banjo ukes too since they're fairly stable.

Since I only have one laminate ukulele (a soprano), so it'll have to be my best.

My only laminate is the OXK soprano. I'd get more sizes if Martin would offer them.

Snail Rosewood Mahogany Tenor Uke
Fluke Concert Uke
Kala Slimline Soprano Travel Uke
My car uke is a Luna Pineapple Tattoo soprano uke

Last edited:
soprano - Makala Shark (it's better than my Mahalo)
concert - Gretsch 9110 (amazing sound & playability for $119)
tenor - Islander MT-4 (another great value)

I am a solid wood snob but just got a Kala KA-KTG koa laminate tenor. The store had me try the Kala all solid koa US made tenor which clearly sounded better but only by direct comparison. This all laminate tenor has a beautiful sound, very playable all the way up the fretboard, great intonation and stunning looks. It quickly became my favorite even besting my Ponos.

Top Bottom