Your best winter weather ukuleles of each size

actadh

Reaction score
Thanks to billten for giving me the idea for this thread.

What do you play in the winter - laminate, composite, plastic, wood?

What I have in my stable for playing during winter weather:

Soprano - Martin OXK HPL (high pressure laminate.) So sweet sounding. It was four degrees outside last night. My living room was 55 degrees. I was playing the OXK with my back to a natural gas wall space heater with an attached blower motor. So not only was I in a cold room in front of heat, there was drying air, too. No problems.

Soprano - Zither Heaven solid black walnut top and sides/back that appears to be plywood. This is my office ukulele. The heat gets turned down in the building at night and my office gets very cold, but not below freezing. (It just feels that way when I get to work.) I only need to tune it and it is good to go when I want to play. I have a cherry version in my house that my granddaughter plays when she visits. No worries handing it to her as it is pretty sturdy.

Concert - Luna solid spruce top/laminate mahogany sides & back - this was my first uke and it has given me no trouble in three winters of crappy weather. This is pretty to look at and pretty nice to play. I love the neck on this model.

Tenor - My Outdoor Ukulele tenor. It is in my car right now. If I wanted to get out of my warm fleecy jammies, I could go out there and play it in this six degree early morning weather. It would sound great. If I wanted to bring it in and play it, it would sound great, too. The temperature change would require string tuning after every song while it came to room temperature, but it would still be playable as soon as I brought it in the house. It is the winter weather winner.

All are cased except my office uke.

Last edited:
Blackbird Clara! Winter, summer, spring, fall. Love it!

What's winter? Only kidding we do get the occasional frost here in Northwest Florida. I generally take no notice of it when I choose which ukulele to play.

They all are, when I wear my "I play ukulele, what's your superpower?" hoodie.

I bought my flea to be my "all-weather" uke. However, I am not a huge fan of the neck, so it doesn't really get played. In its place has been my Ohana SK-25. This is a solid mahogany ukulele, but since I got it so inexpensively (under $100) and it is such a blast to play it generally sits within arms reach while my other ukuleles are all snuggled away with humidifiers.

I play the same things year-round...

I don't have specific winter or summer instruments. We tend not to get great extremes in the UK and humidity is pretty constant the year round.

However my carry out ukuleles are my Flea and Fluke because they are robust but still sound good.

Former Pensacola resident (UWF Grad) here! Give my regards to the original McGuire's!

Top Bottom