Lessons? UU university (vs) U YouTube university

jgun

Reaction score
:music:

Hi UU :)

I just bought a ukulele. So, I'm very new to this and excited to learn how to play it. I used to mess around with my friend 's uke last semester. So, I know 5-6 chords and can play some easy songs.

Considering there are tons of uke lessons on YouTube, tutorials for famous songs, and chords chart everywhere, I am not sure if I can be good at uke by myself? I can dedicate 30 - 60 minutes daily to practice it. So, I think I can play it eventually.

However, I know that there are UU lessons here that I can pay $20 a month for a membership in order to watch video lessons. Lots of them are free anyway. So, I'm not sure if it is worth to pay money or not? I'm not sure if the private videos in there can be substituted with other free videos from the library or from YouTube.

It seems $20 is not that much money but it might not be necessary to pay it, especially if you are still a poor college student. Or I can learn real things that are not available in those free resources?

I would love to hear your thoughts. :D

Aloha,
Justin
:music:

I have heard wonderful compliments about the UU lessons. The free ones I have learned from are excellent and I'm sure the paid subscription is well worth the money.

Aldrine is a really good teacher. The money is a bargain -- if you are motivated to practice.

Aldrine is a really good teacher. The money is a bargain -- if you are motivated to practice.

Yes, I agree. So far what he teaches in the free stuff is pretty good. But I dunno how important are the things of the pay sections in the UU University. It seems I can learn a lot from the free lessons he posted.

UU+ is absolutely worth it in my opinion. And if it weren't for those who support them with UU+ membership, this forum would either cost money or not exist. So, please, give them extra consideration in your decision!

You could start with the free lessons and see if they are what you need, at least for now. If not, try UU. There are various ways to learn the same things, not one way (as you probably know).

Everyone learns differently, and most of us develop a unique style based on our abilities and skill sets. I'd recommend NOT narrowing your lessons to one particular type. You never know what will appeal to you or what technique you might excel at if you limit your exposure.

I have just signed up for UU+. I was previously doing random free song tuts on YT and also the freebie version on Yousician (which is actually really great). Although I am keen to support this place as much as possible and also to do more structured lessons hence joining UU+. I will let you know how it goes after my first week :)

I have just signed up for UU+. I was previously doing random free song tuts on YT and also the freebie version on Yousician (which is actually really great). Although I am keen to support this place as much as possible and also to do more structured lessons hence joining UU+. I will let you know how it goes after my first week :)

That's awesome! I'd love to hear that! Thank you!

I think what Strumtheory wrote is the key aspect: You get structured lessons from the same, consistent source. I spend probably as much time on trying to locate suitable, free videos and learning materials as I put into practicing, if not more so (probably more so), and I still feel it's all rather disconnected, jumbled, and all over the place. I imagine it hamstrings my progress quite a bit. (The Ukulele Aerobics book paired with Aaron Keim's fingerstyle book is probably the best combination I've found so far outside of actual lessons, with the least overhead, but it's not free and there is no hand-holding or sense of having a personal teacher; still have to look up additional materials or videos that illustrate techniques.)

I need to see about signing up for UU+ next month, too. I tried once a couple or so years back and there was an issue with setting up a subscription with my PayPal account. It had required a credit card being linked to the PayPal account, which I didn't have (still don't), even though the account was verified and tied to my bank account. Ryan said he was going to look into it, so this may be fixed by now.

UU's lessons are awesome for their hierarchy--learning based on each prior lesson.

Random YouTube lessons don't hold a candle. I'm glad I was with UU lessons for the beginning of my playing. And, private lessons range from $20 to $40--for a single lesson!--making UU lessons a relative bargain. ✌

Top Bottom